Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2011

Church Readings

shani14, 3 of March of 2011 at 13:47 Posted on Planning 1 14

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone is having a church wedding who can share their reading?

Thank you!!

Shani

14 replies

Latest activity by Pheonix, 5 of March of 2011 at 10:47
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We are having one bible reading:

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Followed by one non bible reading:

The Bargain Sir Philip Sidney
    My true love hath my heart, and I have his, By just exchange one for another given: I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss, There never was a better bargain driven: My true love hath my heart, and I have his. His heart in me keeps him and me in one, My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides: He loves my heart, for once it was his own, I cherish his because in me it bides: My true love hath my heart, and I have his.
  • (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I havnt decided I do like Corinthians 13 but every wedding I have been to in the last 2 years 6 in total have had this and I want to be a little different.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I see it everywhere, I do like it but not sure what to have!

The vicar has said we definately need one from the bible.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Yes you definitely need a biblical reading as do we, just not sure what.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Interesting fact...my sister was recently choosing her church readings and I said to her "Oh don't have the Corinthians reading, EVERYBODY has that one". When she went to meet with the vicar, she was told that she could had to have one of two set readings (plus others if she wanted I guess) and that was one of them.

No wonder everybody has it!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Really Bates? Our vicar has said we can choose our own providing we have at least one biblical reading, I wonder if its your faith that dictates for example if you are Roman Catholic or CEO depends on what you can/cant have?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Sorry should have read COE! Im such a doofus!

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah ours has emailed us to say we can choose our own reading providing it is from the bible.

I have told OH to look but thought I could get some ideas from here too!!

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

?

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

It's not your typical wedding reading, but I like Matthew 7:24-29 -

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

because I interpret it to mean you need a strong foundation for a solid relationship. But OH isn't sure and I don't know if our guests will understand it either!

Some other suggestions from the CoE website:

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/your-wedding/readings.aspx

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

Liverbird I love that!! you should definitely use it! it's the only one I've seen anywhere that has made me think about swapping. The one thing I knew I wanted was something different! we've gone for ;

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

9 Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
    10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
    But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
    11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
    12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Pheonix - that would be 1st choice in an ideal world, but just felt it was too short for us - it will take the reader longer to walk to/from their seat than it will to read, and as our other one is also short we felt we couldn't go with it,

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

We are having a Roman Catholic service so we will be having a reading. The Father has given us a list of what we are able to use. Does anyone know of a good website that holds The Bible so I can have a read through them.

P.S how do I get a time line added to the bottom of my signature x

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

We're having the Wedding at Cana story from St John's gospel and Psalm 121..."I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills...."

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our other two readings are quite long so it works quite well! - we had our meeting with the rev last night, it went pretty well he's still not who I had in mind for marrying us but he's letting us have all the hymns, readings we asked for and is happy for the tog to take photos during the ceremony - so I can't really complain!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics