Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Church vs Civil Ceremony

Bee26, 7 February, 2012 at 13:26 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone

We have found our venue where we will definitely be having the reception and are just trying to decide whether to have the ceremony there or not. The ceremony room is lovely with stained glass windows and only costs £150 to hire it. The thing is, although i dont go to church regularly I do consider mysefl a Christian and quite like the idea of doing it in church. Ideally Id like to have the civil ceremony but have religious elements in the vows but obviously this isnt allowed. If we did it in church it would be about a 30 minute drive to the reception venue, plus it would cost more. I also worry (and this is really silly) that no one would sing along to the hymns in church and it would be awkward and embarassing! (we cant afford a choir or singer). So doing it all in the samevenue would be cheaper and less hassle.Do any of you have christian beliefs but still had a civil ceremony? Did it feel any less special or 'real'? Also I dont want the ceremony to just be over in 15 minutes, what can you have in a civil ceremony to make it a bit longer? I know you can have readings but the ones ive seen all seem really soppy and thats just not us at all!

11 replies

Latest activity by Bee26, 9 February, 2012 at 17:07
  • Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on if you want god in your marriage.. not 3in a bed type lol!! but if you want the reglious parts. Speak with you other OH as its both your day. Me and OH tho hes not reglious we go to church most weeks and it was natural for us to have a church wedding so can't really help much :-)

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

If you consider yourself a Christian, there would be no doubt about where you got married, you would feel compelled to do it in the eyes of God.

As a pretty room with pretty windows is swaying your decision, I would suggest the God element may not be as important as you think. So go with what you feel would suit you (and your H2B!) best on the day.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I tend to agree with this to be honest. There are loads of readings you can have in a civil ceremony that make it personal and longer that are not soppy. Look for some by Pam Ayres or Edward Monkton.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a church wedding and I'm fine with it. I may decide to have a blessing afterwards when we get back from honeymoon but we haven't decided yet.

We are having two readings during our ceremony and are also having the guests sing a song anyway. We have also gone for all additional optional vows. I think our ceremony will take about 35-40minutes.

There are loads of not so soppy wedding readings out there too.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

H2B is not bothered either way. hes not at all religious and is happy to whatever I want. Its more the logistics which are swaying my decision, the extra organising, costs, flowers etc. I am not that religious but I do consider marriage to be a religious thing eg. in the eyes of God. My mum and her husband was brought up Catholic and she had a civil ceremony due to budget issues and they both said it didnt feel any less special. As u point out, my beliefs are obviously not that strong or there wouldnt be a question about it, i supposed im just looking for someone to say that they believe in God but still had a civil ceremony that was just as special!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh yes I like the idea of having a blessing afterwards. What song will your guests be singing if you dont mind me asking?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We haven't entirely decided yet but we're thinking of 'When I'm 64' by the Beatles.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think a civil ceremony is just as special! A church wedding is also just a 'legal thing' but with religious words.

You are still promising to love and care for one other person for the rest of your life. And to be honest, if you believe in God, he will be with you no matter where you do it. If you believe in God, you will make him part of your relationship also, whether or not you marry in a church.

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

A civil ceremony generally lasts approx 30 minutes. Like others have said, you can add readings or music. Also, it would be worth speaking to your local registrars office, find out what their general rules/procedures are. You should be able to have the opportunity to choose your own vows, declarations, etc, having had them prrof read by the registrars office before the ceremony.

Good Luck with it all !

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

H2B and I were both raised Catholic. I stopped attending church as a teenager and had always planned not to have a church wedding. We found a great venue where we could have the ceremony and reception all-inclusive and I really wanted to do this - especially as the majority of the guests are coming from abroad and it would be easier logistically to have them all in one place.

H2B is not devout by any means but feels a stronger connection to the church and wanted to have a church service so I agreed to have a church wedding. It was important to me that since he felt strongly about it we should do it and I knew our families would prefer it. In the end though, we had a falling out the with the priest - which we spent 2 months trying to resolve - and ultimately we've gone back to having a civil ceremony at the venue.

There is a CofE chapel on the grounds and they will allow us to have a blessing there so after the ceremony, we'll go down with our families for an intimate blessing while the rest of the guests start of the drinks reception.

I think this will be the best of both worlds and will more fully reflect who we are... so it has all worked out for the best I think...despite all the stress.

As others have said - you have to do what's right for both of you and if one of you feels strongly about having a church service do it. But if you don't, you can make a civil ceremony personal with readings and music. We're meeting with the registrar in a few weeks and will be talking it all through. I think actually it can be much more meaningful because you make it your own.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Again, I would also agree with this.....

Peter

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your opinions, especially SammiV I love what u said and youve made me feel better about the whole thing. Were going to have the civil ceremont and perhaps a blessing after, you're right even though its 'just a legal thing' in my heart ill be promising in front of God also. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics