Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Savvy May 2022

Church wedding

RomanticBlueHair33815, 25 of July of 2021 at 18:20 Posted on Planning 0 8
So today might be the first time I've started panicking.

We thought we would love the church right next door to our venue so when viewing it H2B was just not getting the vibes at all. So we are looking for somewhere else now.
But a little concerned we are nearly out of time to have a wedding outside of our Parish. Due to marry end of Feb next year. We would need to visit regularly for six months and then leaving time for reading of the Banns. Have we left this too late now?
We're not opposed to marrying in our Parish, we just feel the churches are too big for our 75 guests. We've found one in our old Parish, but there is no parking available. Just wondering if it's acceptable to ask people to park in a pay and display and then walk to the church, it's in quite a busy area.
We really want a church wedding, we've had the conversation all day about marrying away from a church but it's out of the question.
So yeah just little questions, but just wanted to air my concerns here.

8 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueHair33815, 26 of July of 2021 at 12:04
  • R
    Savvy May 2022
    RomanticBlueHair33815 ·
    • Hide content
    Also,

When I use my postcode rather than "location" gps. I get two different parishes. It appears we are on the border. So how do I know which one is right? 😭
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought, but when we were looking at churches for our wedding, our one concern was that they were too big. We were worried that everyone would look like they were rattling around in them, but eventually decided that once everyone was in and sat near the front, it wouldn't matter and the photographer could just make sure he got some shots that didn't show loads of empty space.

Then we had Covid, and suddenly, our 'huge' church became only just big enough for our scaled back guest list of 13...

Obv, we all hope by 2022 it won't be an issue, but it might be worth picking a church that is big enough to allow for plenty of people with social distancing, just in case.

Regarding time, it depends very much from church to church (or rather vicar to vicar) how often you are expected to attend before getting married. So it would be worth having the conversation with the minister of the church you are considering. Do you normally attend a church or would this be just for the wedding? If you are attending one church, you could ask your vicar or minister to approach the church you want to marry in. I think those who ask for several months' attendance are usually wanting to make sure that couples have a good understanding of the Christian view of marriage pre wedding - so if they know you are already familiar with church, they might not expect you to attend for so many months.

• R
    Savvy May 2022
    RomanticBlueHair33815 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your reply. It's good to get another opinion on churches being too big. And to be honest I hadn't even thought of the chance of social distancing so that is a good point to take into consideration.

We are not part of a regular church, no. But I might reach out to a few of interest to see what they say then. I just assumed the six month thing was fixed in stone because it very much felt like that when we was at the church today, although we wasn't able to speak to the vicar as he had to rush off for a christaning, although we'd arranged to meet 😅
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

We are marrying in a church - although my fiancé was never brought up following a religion, I was brought up Christian and regularly attending church. We moved in together to a new parish just before Covid became a thing, so didn’t have time to test the churches out here. Our parish vicar has been really understanding and agreed to read the banns in good time.

The church we are marrying in is one my dad attends weekly. We can marry there through the family connection: he attends regularly and has done for a number of years, my sister was married there and my two nieces were christened there.

I think the 6 month thing was made to test commitment to a faith wedding. If you have commitment to Christianity in your past, you may be okay 😊

• C
    Curious September 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in a big church in September. Yet they've currently set restrictions for 60 (not including staff, bride and grooms party and children). The place is huge and sits hundreds but they are getting people to sit in every other pew. So right now I'm thankful of the big church. I think you'll be fine, most will sit on the central aisle and people approach pews like bus seats, only sitting next to a stranger when they have to, so everyone will spread out.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another option might be to look at non Anglican churches. Although some of these do not have a registered person for recording marriages, so you may have to book a registrar to come to the church. Maybe have a look round at local churches & see if any of them feel welcoming & the kind of place you'd like to go to.

• Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I can’t help with the church questions but with the parking, I’d say that’s fine. Every wedding I have attended at churches or our local registry office has pay and display parking. I’ve been more than happy to pay this and walk to the venue. Most guests will google parking before going or if it’s on the invite they know to bring some money for parking.
  • R
    Savvy May 2022
    RomanticBlueHair33815 ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your replies. This has really put my mind at ease and to go with an open mind. Thank you very much ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics