Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Church wedding and meeting the vicar?

Little Rhi, 20 April, 2011 at 10:14 Posted on Planning 0 7

We are not getting married until next September, church and venue booked, however my mum keeps saying that she is suprised that the vicar has not got in touch with us yet. (we have only briefly spoken when booking it and have had an emal saying they have cashed the deposit).

I know that we are having to attend for 6 month before but as it is not in our parish I don't know what we do about our parish church. Well really I don't know what we need to do with anything concerning the church!!

I wasn't to worried about it as I think it might be a bit early to speak to the vicar?? If anyone has any opinions on this it would be much appreciated.

TIA

xx

7 replies

Latest activity by Little Rhi, 22 April, 2011 at 10:52
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit confused.

I'm assuming you worship in your local parish but have chosen to get married in another? If so, the vicar at your local parish presumably knows of your intention to marry. Why not grab him after a service and ask when you need to speak to him about having your Banns read locally? He should be able to put your mind at rest.

As for the parish you're marrying in, if they've taken your deposit, you'll get a letter or some sort of contact confirming the dates of those Banns. The sooner you start to get to know the congregation there, the nicer it will be for you!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in August 2012, also in another parish, and although we've attended and met the Vicar a couple of times and they have our date in their diary, we've not really discussed anything to do with the service or marriage nor have they asked for a deposit from us yet! I was worried about this but I think they simply want to get us attending and get us on the electoral roll before they go any further - I think in their eyes we have plenty of time to get things sorted. It is only a small village church though, so I don't think they host many weddings.

I've no idea what we're supposed to do about our parish church either, but having said that we did fill in some sort of form that I think was to do with banns and we had to give our names, addresses, fathers occupations etc - the church we are marrying in have got this form so I assume (maybe wrongly!) that they liase with our home parish to sort out the reading of the banns etc...?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Rarely will the two parishes liaise with each other. They don't need to be read at the same time, just within the parameters that make it legal. You will need to ensure that you (or the minister in the parish you are to marry) receive the Banns Certificate which proves they have been read in your home parish.

Our Banns were read concurrently and the minister in our local parish has today posted us the Banns Certificate. It will then be our responsibility to get that to the vicar in our adopted parish where we are to marry to enable him to fulfil the legal requirements.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Ah right, thanks CB. Sounds like we'd best make a visit to our parish church then!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Good idea - it just keeps you in their minds so you're less likely to be forgotten.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Little Rhi ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the advice CB ?

xx

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married next June. We are also getting married outside of our parish (the church my parents married in) the priest told us to contact our local church 4-5 months before to arrange for an application of bans

we are meeting the priest again at the end of May to discuss things further. He hasn't asked for a deposit yet so may ask then

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Little Rhi ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic, thank you LMR. It's good just to have an idea of timing and now my mum can stop worrying!! ?

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics