Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Church wedding - Do i need an order of service ?

moonpie1985, 26 July, 2011 at 11:46 Posted on Planning 0 8

Just having a look to get some prices for all the stationary bits we will need for the day and thinking of bits we can cut out like place name cards. (I will have a table number with a list of names on instead)

Will we need to do order of services for people for the church wedding, and if so, how many should I order if there are to be 70 guests?

8 replies

Latest activity by ajdown, 26 July, 2011 at 22:45
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

They are a good idea, particularly for the wording of the hymns.

I made enough for one each, but one between couples should be plenty (don't forget a few for the vicar, verger, organist...)

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Yes - most vicar's will insist on it.

I'd say you need a minimum of one between two. Don't forget you'll need one for your vicar, the verger, any choir/bell ringers etc.

Your vicar should have some samples that you can have a look at and will probably want to approve the content before it goes to print.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Yep you'll need one like CB said. There are plenty of templates online but he/she will need to approve before.

We are printing our own and just tying some ribbon around them saves us some pennies!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

Yes I think you do need them just so people know the hymns and prayers as much as anything else.

I've printed ours myself on nice paper just using Word (and a pretty whizzy printer that does booklets) and will tie some ribbon round them

• Y
    Beginner April 2012
    YeahYeahYeah ·
    • Hide content

Ours hasn't mentioned it. We just have to let the priest know the week before (sooner if possible)

SIL had a civil wedding this year and had them, they listed who was who in the wedding party, plan for the day, menu etc. I thought they were great as you weren't hanging about wondering when you were going in for the meal, when the evening people were coming etc.

We are incorporating the two, order of church service and the above in one booklet, giving one per couple (or thereabouts) on arrival at the church

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We arent having them as we know the vicar well so he is letting us do what we want! We are having a Christmas wedding so having the church carol books, and our church has special service books just for weddings - check if yours does too.

Hope that helps

xxx

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

We're not having one either, we're using the church hymn books and the church wedding service books. We've got to know our vicar quite well and he actually commented to us that the wedding service books have hardly been used as most people do oos'. When I asked if he'd recommend us using them and not bothering to do our own oos he was delighted and commented that at last they would be put to good use! I like being given a hymn book when I go to chuch, maybe that's just me though! The only thing I'll be gutted about is not having an oos for a reminder after that day, I may make one just for us as a momento!! :-)

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

There's no reason why you can'd do an 'order of service/day' for all the guests with timings, maps etc in it and just not putting the words for the hymns in there. You could put the hymn names and numbers and let people do it that way, or even just use the old "hymn board" for the numbers, if they have one in that church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics