Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner February 2015

church wedding do we need a choir?

The future Mrs G, 11 of March of 2014 at 21:29 Posted on Planning 0 7

We are getting married in church and I was not planning to have any choir or singer for the ceremony. I was simply planning to rely on our guests singing along to the hymns and for the organist to play during the register signing etc.

Has anyone else done this and how did it work out?

Thanks in advance for any replys :-)

7 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 12 of March of 2014 at 14:21
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

A choir can be a massive help when it comes to the hymns, especially if you don't have a massive congregation or family and fiends that won't sing well iykwim. Choirs sing rather than mumble. Also if you choose hymns that people might not know, choirs help people along. If there is a choir and you can run to it, I'd recommend it. x

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to have a choir as it is only an extra £45 and our families aren't known for their singing talents! I think it will give a lovely sense of occasion too x

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

We're having a church wedding but have opted not to have the choir, we'd rather save money there and have the bell ringers instead! I think it's safe to say that both of us will be feeling nervous on the day, so standing in front of all our friends and family will be nerve racking enough, without having 30-odd people we've never met watching us exchange our vows!

Also, as we're getting married on a Friday, we figured it probably wouldn't be feasable/fair to expect all of the choir members to be there as they would have to take time off from their day jobs to attend.

if it's something you can imagine having as part of your day though, go for it!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I definitely wasn't planning to. I've always said I didn't want much fuss - no choir, no bells etc. But my mum thinks most people won't sing or will just mumble, and she is right really, so now I'm considering it. If you think your guests will be like mine then it's probably worth thinking about Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

When my friends got married in a Methodist church they had a choir and they sang Movin' On Up by Primal Scream, which was amazing. It was beautiful and added a real sense of occasion, I thought.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

I'd have loved one, and it was only going to be about another £50 or so, again for the reason of just having people actually sing rather than mumble along Smiley smile but we're planning on standing in the area between the choir stalls so people can actually see us a bit better, so its a no go now, cus it'd look and feel really weird having choir members staring right at us from either side throughout the ceremony! hopefully people will just sing up a bit!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have a choir (was far too expensive at the time) and to be honest, I couldn't even tell you who sang and who didn't. All I could hear was the Vicar, my husband and my dad!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Vicar's are very good at taking the lead with singing and being heard. Choirs are lovely, I had a Gospel Choir but not needed if it's to get the guests singing along.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics