Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat
Beginner October 2024 Devon

Church Wedding - Hymns/organist?

Kat, 18 of August of 2023 at 11:31 Posted on Planning 0 7
Hi!

I'm really struggling to find out some answers to my question. We're getting married in a church for our wedding next year and we've been asked would we like to book the organist? Our questions are do we have to have him? Or could we get someone else like a string group? And do you have to have hymns sung at your wedding? We're not the biggest singers and I don't want to put my foot in it when saying I don't want hymn at a chruch wedding? Has anyone else ever had something different for a chruch wedding or do you stick to the traditions? Thank you!

7 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 18 of August of 2023 at 18:50
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Kat! We have sorted our own music and definitely do not want any hymns! We haven’t had our first meeting with our church either. We were not asked these questions whilst we booked them. I think churches are more relaxed these days if I am honest and I am sure it will be ok. My friends had a string quartet at hers and no hymns so I am sure you will be fine. They came down the aisle to Star Wars. I actually cannot remember the last church wedding I have been at with a hymn. They seemed to have asked if you want one so you do have a choice. Happy planning.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

No you do not have to have the organist and yes you can have a string quartet instead but its very much down to the individual Vicar but I don't think that should be a problem I think they are just needing to know so they can let him know for his diary.

But where you might find any pushback is the issue of hymns and you could be putting your foot in it with some if you said that you do not want any hymns. But things are getting more relaxed and it depends on your vicar.

But you could mitigate that by having not so Hymny Hymns, even some may frown at having those - or all of them like that. Google modern hymns and you may find something that you don't mind so much.

Some Vicars will not mind and understand and you may get away with having only 1 hymn. But they might also point out that singing is an interneural part of worship itself.

Hymns in Church during covid were banned and instead at some weddings I saw that an inspirational nature video was played with the hymn in the background which was actually much better than the usual people just moving their lips and not actually singing at weddings.

• Kat
    Beginner October 2024 Devon
    Kat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I have never been to another wedding, let alone in a church one so I've no clue! I suppose I should just email them to ask. My sister just got married (not in a church) and had a string quartet and they were amazing so would love something like that ideally
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I understand why you will be anxious to ask the question, just because it’s a church. They are so beautiful, I really enjoyed my friends. I watch some on YouTube. They are called the string quartet channel and they are so good!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You really need to ask the vicar/minister as it varies hugely. Some will insist you have some hymns as sung worship is an integral part of Christian faith, others will be happy for you to have instrumental-only secular music, while others will let you have anything you want! It would be worth talking to the vicar of the church and asking him or her to outline what the expectations are.

If your church insist on hymns, as Bill says, you can get some great video recordings which would be a good option if most of your guests are non singers.

• C
    Beginner July 2024 South East London
    Cheryl ·
    • Hide content
    I’m having same problem. Do we go with an organist or do I go cd!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will a lot of your guests be likely to know the hymns?

I've been to church weddings where a large proportion of the congregation were frequent church attenders and the singing was awesome. I've also been to church weddings where I felt like I was giving an unplanned solo Smiley xd

If you're not sure how many of your guests are singers, you might be better off going with a CD with sung lyrics - people can always join in if they want to, but the CD will provide enough volume if only a few people join in!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics