Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

claire_91
Beginner July 2014

Church wedding readings- help!

claire_91, 22 February, 2012 at 20:55 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi everyone. Did you have readings at your wedding and if so what did you have? We're having a c of e wedding so have to have a biblical reading but I don't know what to have. All ideas religious and non-religious greatly received as I'd love at least one non-religious one too x

13 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 23 February, 2012 at 17:15
  • IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Corinthians 13:4-8

New International Version (NIV)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

I think every single church wedding I've ever been to has had that reading. It's lovley but I fancy something different x

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Ohh, believe me I said that to my priest lastt week.

His reply was that it may be a cliched reading to some, makes it no less apt though...

I'm going with one reading and one gospel, hymn wise Jerusalem would be nice, but I'm worried that might be a bit cliched too?

Umm, what aabout John 15: 9-12?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

How about Colossians 3 v 12-17

As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the lord has forgiven you, so you must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

It's one that isn't quite so often.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

Aww just found the one from John and it's lovely, best I've seen so far Smiley smile That's definitely an option. I need to come up with a shortlist to show h2b

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

If I wasn't religious and having a full Catholic service I'd use the following. Short and sweet...

ISir Walter Scott (****)

Love rules the court,
    The camp, the grove,
    And man below, and the saints above,
    For love is heaven
    And heaven is love

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We're having this...

Ephesians 5:21-33

Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Saviour. Just as the church is subject to Christ, so also wives ought to be, in everything, to their husbands.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word, so as to present the church to himself in splendour, without a spot or wrinkle or anything of the kind—yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish.

In the same way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, because we are members of his body.

‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church. Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For some reason that one always annoys me. I don't believe in him being the head of me. We have always been, and always will be an equal partnership. I love the second bit for husbands but I just feel the first bit is not for us.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    blushing_bride ·
    • Hide content

Non religious, we're having a church of scotland but don't need to have any religious readings. SIL doing this one for us, its called on your wedding day:

Today is a day you will always remember
    The greatest in anyone’s life
    You’ll start off the day just two people in love
    And end it as Husband and Wife

It’s a brand new beginning the start of a journey
    With moments to cherish and treasure
    And although there’ll be time when you both disagree
    These will surely be outweighed by pleasure

You’ll have heard many words of advice in the past
    When the secrets of marriage were spoken
    But you know that the answers lie hidden inside
    Where the bond of tru love lies unbroken

So live happy forever as lovers and friends
    It’s the dawn of a new life for you
    As you stand there together with love in your eyes
    From the moment you whisper ‘I do’

And with luck, all your hopes, and your dreams can be real
    May success find its way to your hearts
    Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys
    But today is the day it all starts.
  • claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's really beautiful Smiley smile

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried www.yourchurchwedding.org. They have a list of the most used readings. We have not decided for definite yet but will be going for one of these.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean, but I'm quite traditional and although we are equal and respect each other, I still view the man as the head of the household. It still tells him to love me and treat me as he would like to be treated ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had Song of Solomon:

Song of Solomon 2.10-13; 8.6,7 My beloved speaks and says to me: „Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away; For now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtle dove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines are in blossom; They give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.‟ Set me as a seal upon your heart, As a seal upon your arm; for love is strong as death, Passion fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If one offered for love all the wealth of one‟s house, it would be utterly scorned.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics