Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buzzee
Beginner January 2012

Civil Ceremony - Lighting a candle?

Buzzee, 6 September, 2011 at 21:27 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi

Does anyone know if you can include the lighting of a candle in a civil ceremony? Not in a religious sense but hoping the registrar can say a few words about it or find a relevant reading (the native american one looks good) to tie it all together. Getting married in Surrey if that makes a difference - i'll phone them tomorrow but just being impatient!

9 replies

Latest activity by sgreen, 7 September, 2011 at 10:45
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It shouldn't be a problem - was there a particular purpose in wanting to light a candle?

I was just wondering if you had heard about the Unity Candle Ceremony? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_candle

You're obviously aware of the 'no religious content' aspect of a civil ceremony but as well as the unity candle concept, a lot of people light a candle to remember lost loved ones.

Ikea do some quite nice and inexpensive large pillar candles that are ideal for anything like that.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

TBH I just want to make the most of the ceremony and thought lighting a candle is known as being quite representative of love but without having to be religious in meaning. We have 2 people doing readings - one is a child so have a good poem for them to read, but was struggling to find something else for an older male reader. i think tying the candle in and having a reading about an everlasting flame representing our love could work well.

i'll phone them today and ask how/if it could work!

• L
    lerrysture ·
    • Hide content

Nice !

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I shoot lots of civil weddings that have the lighting of the candle and it works quite well. Some also exchange roses (not part of the same service but another option)

• L
    lerrysture ·
    • Hide content

Wooooooooooooooo

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Yes i find it very exciting lerrysture!!

thanks everyone else for help!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Ask your registrar if you can have candles - mine wont let me even have them in the room!

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, really do not know about this part~

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

We're definitely allowed candles in the room so that shouldn't be an issue! will give them a call today though!

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

In many branches of the Othodox and Methodist churches lighting a candle at a wedding has two meanings.

If it is on the floor it is to remember someone who has past on, and if it is higher on a pedestal its to remember someone who cannot be with you due to illness or perhaps distance.

I don't know if that something you want to think about?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics