Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2014

civil ceremony music help

SunnyOrangeConfetti79, 7 of May of 2014 at 15:18 Posted on Planning 0 7

I'm trying to put together some mash-ups of our favourite songs to be played as guests arrive, thrn during the signing of the register/taking of photograps. Does anyone have any idea how ling roughly each piece of music should be? Tia Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeConfetti79, 13 of May of 2014 at 20:59
  • ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

Hmmmm, it's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions. It's a good idea that you've had though, to make it a mash-up, so that it can just keep playing for as long as is needed, and then be faded out when the next part of the wedding happens.

We've put together at least 45 mins of 'arrival' music. We don't expect anyone to be in the room waiting for more than 15 minutes, but if it has the ability to keep going, that allows for unforeseen delays.

Signing of the register - we've kept this as a quite calm couple of tunes, as sudden in-your-face music for a few minutes seemed a bit odd. It's just calm background music to fill the silence, meaning that people won't feel so arkward chatting over it. I think our 2 songs we chose were about 15 minutes in total, just in case. Again, they mash-in to one another, and can just be faded out once we're finished.

Exit music, 4 songs by the same artist, just running after each other until the geezer on the play button finds that the room is empty.

• K
    Dedicated August 2014
    kay22mms ·
    • Hide content

I'm following this with interest because it seems to be what's stumping me. Just as a matter of interest when you say a mash up of music, what have you used to edit the tracks? I've got an iPad and laptop but finding it difficult to cut or fade tracks. Sorry to cut in. What have you chosen for your signing the register music I wanted Rod Stewart Have I Told You Lately but there is a line about praying to god in it so we can't have it. Thanks

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Free software online to cut everything together. It's just because we're supposed to label the tracks on the USB as "waiting music", "bride entrance", "signing" "exit", for the dude at the controls. So it was easier to mash the 45 mins of waiting music into what is technically one track, with that title.

We've not faded any tracks, as you can't predict where to do that. Dude on the controls will be asked to just gradually turn the volume down to zilch.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't actually started putting mine together yet because I don't really know where to start! ClaireDawn - could you let me know what software you used please - google is just confusing me with all the options!

We want to have 'Something Changed' by Pulp, perhaps followed by 'Lovesong' by The Cure for the signing of the register. I'm very slightly concerned about the line "do you believe there's someone up above" in the first - don't know how strictly applied the religious references stuff is!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Just remembered to ask OH what the software was SunnyOrange.

He said he downloaded it, rather than doing it online. It was called 'Audacity', and he said he saw it recommended by other people online, and found it easy to use himself.

I'm not sure I would worry about that single line in a song. No registrar is going to see "Something Changed" by Pulp, and think "hmmmm, I better listen to those lyrics very carefully, I think those Pulp boys are known for their pesky religious antics!!"

We didn't have to declare our song choices to our Registrar. Only the readings.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree - I always use Audacity to edit tracks, its really easy to use, and there are loads of tutorials on youtube and things if you get stuck.

We have to declare all our song choices as well as readings to our registrar, so maybe check whether you do or not. They can always veto a song if they don't agree with it, but unless it is really brought to their attention (or has been previously) I doubt they would notice or even care - it's not a religious song that you are playing - I always consider this to be more based on the 'no hymns' idea than any song that contains a reference to god (because a surprising amount of songs do!) but I may be wrong - if in doubt, speak to your registrar! (or their office)

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this did make me laugh - I hope I don't get a flashback in the registry office and start giggling! I just ended up burning a straightforward CD - we'll give them a list of what the various tracks are for - I'm quite pleased with the finished playlist Smiley smile

Guests' arrival

Today - Smashing Pumpkins

My Doorbell - White Stripes

Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema Club

There is a light that never goes out - The Smiths

Shining light - Ash

Bride's entrance

Here there and everywhere - The Beatles (back up in case live version falls through for whatever reason)

Signing the register/photographs

Something Changed - Pulp

This is the one - Stone Roses

Happy Hour - The Housemartins

Lovesong - The Cure

Exit

Debaser - The Pixies

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics