Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Peanut~
Beginner December 2012

Civil ceremony OMs - what were your promises?

~Peanut~, 20 October, 2012 at 12:27 Posted on Planning 0 12

We're writing our own promises for the ceremony, what did you have? (I promise not to copy, it's more so I know how long it should be roughly!)

12 replies

Latest activity by ~Peanut~, 20 October, 2012 at 17:41
  • xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

These were ours:

In the presence of our family and friends I promise to give you my love and friendship.

I promise to respect you, to trust you and to share all that I have and all that I am with you.

I accept you for all that you are and all that you will be.

I promise to protect, support and understand you through the good times and the bad and will love you truly, madly, deeply forever.

I give you my hand, my heart and my love for the rest of my life and these promises I make to you today and always.

Hope this helps x

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely MissyLou, and thanks, it definitely helps!

• T
    Beginner May 2013
    TenzoSmith ·
    • Hide content

Awww... they just made me cry! I'm such a soppy git...

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

I followed my heart, and it led me to you.

My handsome Prince, my perfect partner, my best friend, my eternal soulmate.

I will always love you, cherish you, and support you in everything that you do.

I will laugh with you, and I will cry with you, through times of joy, and through times of sadness. But as long as I have you, I will always be happy.

I love you, simply, because you are you, and I promise that will never change.

I humbly give you my hand, my heart, and all my love, from this day forward, for as long as we both shall live.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

These were ours, we each wrote our own. I was tempted on the day to slip something in about not being forced to attend football but didn't actually dare in case it invalidated it or anything!

Bride to Groom -

In front of our family and friends, I make these promises to you today. I promise to be your loyal wife and your lifelong friend. I will work with you to create a future full of happiness. I promise to give you my devotion, trust and support. I will laugh with you in times of joy and comfort you in
    times of sorrow. I will remain by your side through the good times and the bad.
    I promise to love you faithfully for the rest of our lives and I will remain true to our vows forever.

Groom to Bride -

To my love from whom I shall never part, I promise to love and respect you through good times and bad, to care
    for you and to be patient. I promise to be understanding of your thoughts and feelings. I will honour your goals and help you achieve them.
    I will share the best days and comfort you on the worst.
    I can help you to overcome hard times and I will work hard so we can have happiness in our future. I will be the sympathetic ear listening to your words, the comforting warmth to greet your worries and the calm voice
    responding to your feelings. All that I have I share with you for the rest of our lives. I promise to give you my heart,
    which is for you and no one else, for as long as I live.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

These are all lovely!

Possibly a really stupid question, but how does it work? Did you read it off a piece of paper or did the registrar feed you each line to repeat? (Please don't tell me I have to memorise it! ?)

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you can do it either way. We did the legal bits as repetition from the registrar, and then had the personal promises written on a piece of paper. We actually left the paper on the table rather than hold it in our hands as we were holding both hands at the time!

I don't think I have a copy of what we actually said. ? It was basically a collection of several of the suggested lines in their book, with a couple of our own additions.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks Helenia.

This is what we have so far, what do you guys think? It's a bit of an amalgamation of example promises we found online:

In the presence of our family and friends, I promise to love, honour, respect and cherish you
    I promise to care for you above all others, to support you and comfort you, and be devoted, loyal and faithful to you always
    I will laugh with you and cry with you and love you in good times and bad
    When life seems easy and when it seems hard
    When our love is simple and when it needs effort.
    I will stand by your side no matter what the future may bring
    This is my promise to you today and forever.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

That is beautiful Smiley heart

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I read mine from a card.

"L, I promise to stand by your side, to support and encourage you to be the best person you can be, without ever asking for more than you can give.

As your soulmate, your lover and your best friend. I vow to give you my time, my love, my hand and my heart, to enjoy the highs with you and work through any lows, to share your laughter and your tears.

As your wife, I promise to be your rock as you are mine, and to love you with all my soul, for the rest of my life.”

L knew his my heart

"I L, choose you, A to be my wife.

In front of our friends and family gathered here I promise to love and cherish you throughout the good times and bad times.

I promise to make you cups of tea, even though you don't always drink them and to make your porridge just the way you like it at the weekend.

I promise to remember this day with love, roses and toblerone chocolates. A, I will love you always."

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Love it Soulmates! Especially the tea bit, OH always complains that he makes me cups of tea and then I forget to drink them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics