Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mummy2Ebony
Beginner August 2015

Civil ceremony - order of service

Mummy2Ebony, 26 of August of 2014 at 16:41 Posted on Planning 0 13

We are getting married in a country hotel, and I wasn't planning on having them, as the ceremony is quite short. Some people have said that I should still do them.....

does anybody have any thoughts on this??!! Thanks x

13 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 27 of August of 2014 at 20:31
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

If your ceremony and reception are all in the same venue, how about having an "order of the day" sheet instead, rather than the order of service.

That way, you can include timings for photographs, sit down meal, dancing, buffet, cutting the cake, and also give mention to those with a starring role if you want, such as best man, bridesmaids, ushers etc....as well as any bits relating to the ceremony, readings, etc that you want to have on there.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mellypoos ·
    • Hide content

We are doing an order of the day and it will be on an A3 chalboard on the bar so people can see when thinsg will be but without me having to design and print lots of copies

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I wont be having an order of service for my civil ceremony, but I will be having an order of the day board at the venue so people know when to expect dinner and dancing etc. :-)

• Mummy2Ebony
    Beginner August 2015
    Mummy2Ebony ·
    • Hide content

Order of the day........ :-/

that scares me even more lol x

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I can honestly say I have never been given an order of service at any wedding I've been to, even church ones! I won't be bothering to do one for my civil ceremony, its just more hassle and expense that I could do without.

• Mummy2Ebony
    Beginner August 2015
    Mummy2Ebony ·
    • Hide content

Lottie - I am liking your thinking!!

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

If you do do one, whatever you do don't write 'Order of Service' on the front as the Registrar may take exception to it being referred to as a 'service'. Better to call it Order of Ceremony.

I've done one, purely so I at least have some idea of what's going on as there'll be no rehearsal and it all seems a bit 'find out on the day once we're up there' to be honest! I just copied down the order from the form of choices we had to fill in and return and am hoping that is the way things will go. I've also included the titles of the readings and who is doing them, so they know when their bit is coming up too!!

As there wasn't a lot of info (ie no words for hymns etc) I just did it on a little postcard-sized card. It doesn't have to be expensive (*whispers* you can get 250 free colour printed postcards from Easyprint, no p&p to pay either. I may have got several sets so I could stick them back to back as they do have a logo on the back)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I had 'order of the days' & from what I've heard, people loved them.

I think people quite liked knowing what time they're going to eat and have a drink! Plus we introduced the bridal party and explained why we had a monopoly theme at dinner.

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing order of services I found this free template so althoigh the ribbons and diamontes will be a little time consuming it's pretty much free. I'm going to make an big order of the day to display somewhere too xx

http://www.boho-weddings.com/2013/11/04/diy-tutorial-free-printable-folded-wedding-program/

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing an order of the day on a canvas so people know about timings x

• AlmostMrsT
    Beginner February 2015
    AlmostMrsT ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that link! I'm definitely thinking about making these now! Only had one order of service before, from the only church wedding i've attended. Hubby to be vetoed the church wedding plan of mine, so it'd be great to have a touch of those traditions at my civil service Smiley smile xx

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

I just organised our Order of the Day - we are having a civil ceremony.

Front cover - Our names, Date and time of wedding, photo

Inside page 1 - Names and relationships of the bridal party and the groomsmen

Inside page 2 - list of the music and the readings for the ceremony

Back page - Thank yous and timings of the day

All in all, it's costing me about a tenner to print at staples for around 80 guests (one between two ish) in colour.

We liked the idea of people knowing what to do and when and being able to look up the music or the readings when they got home if they wanted to.

x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

You're not allowed to call it an 'order of service' for a civil wedding.

We had one and it was good for letting people know when they could check in and when they could expect food etc. it wasn't something I had thought of but some older family members had never been to a civil wedding and genuinely had no idea how it all worked- they found it really helpful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics