Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2015

Civil Ceremony - Singing in Welsh?

sarahm66, 24 of March of 2015 at 10:12 Posted on Planning 0 7

Bit of a long shot to see if anybody else has had a similar experience. We have been planning for ages a surprise for my Mum on the day for friend of ours to sing a traditional love song in Welsh (he's not a native Welsh speaker and has been practising for months). I'm just about to return the Ceremony Choices/document to the Registrar and we have made reference to this and have included the words in Welsh with an English translation. We were careful with the choice of song as we knew it couldn't have any religious words/connotation but I'm worrying now that the Registrar might not like the fact that it's being sung in Welsh (ie he could be singing anything despite the translation that we have provided). I'm wondering now whether I should just send in the translation and risk them stopping him singing on the day (has anyone ever known this happen??) or should I tell them and risk them saying that we can't do it? I've checked their terms and conditions and it doesn't make any specific reference to using words in another language:

"LRA will provide a Kentish Ceremony. You may make alternative selections and every effort will be made to include those choices,

provided the content of the ceremony remains seemly and dignified."

Any factual experiences would put my mind at rest ......

Thanks.

7 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 25 of March of 2015 at 21:30
  • Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd include the translation - it may look like your trying to hide something otherwise (religious connotations etc) and they're bound to check! If they're concerned about the translation you've provided a quick check on google translate will clear it up for them.

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Cant offer any advice re Registrar but just wanted to say what a lovely idea this is ! It will make your ceremony just that little bit more personal - love it

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh what are you singing? We're having a song in Welsh, but then we're getting married in Wales. We're having Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwynn, aka Watching the White Wheat. Love it after hearing it on Stella so have downloaded it and will play while we sign the register.

I would provide the translation to minimise any problem. X

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Calon lan .. translates to pure love , I had this and many of my other friends have had it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG7UkFbw-ps it is one of my favourites songs

or guide me o thy great redeemer - it is a welsh hymn but sung in English ? ( not sure with registrar though )

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarahm66 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, it's Myfannwy - some of the words are quite sad but then we figures if it's sung in Welsh no-one will understand! I sent off the ceremony booklet with the words and a translation but didn't make mention to to the fact that it's to be sung in Welsh - I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

• elliejay
    Beginner September 2015
    elliejay ·
    • Hide content

I love Myfanwy so much - it never fails to make me cry. Its a beautiful song.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG I know that song, but's one n - Myfanwy ........Cerys Matthews sings the most amazing version. It was my mum's name, she was half welsh. It is such a sad song though. He's a brave chap to sing that at a wedding. x

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I thought of myfanwy last night for you but thought it was too deep a song for a wedding. .. it always reminds me of twin town ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics