Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DarkMoomin
Beginner June 2012

Civil ceremony song lyrics

DarkMoomin, 27 January, 2012 at 11:25 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all, Hoping some of you can help with this...

I am planning on having plenty of music for before the ceremony, as I know that guests will arrive pretty early because of travel, and we will be bussing some guests in half an hour early. AnywayI know that we have to have all the music and readings used in the ceremony cleared by the Registrar.

Does this also apply to the pre ceremony music? Does it matter if there are references to 'faith' 'angels' 'grace' in these (popular music) songs?

I know it varies with registrars, but some idea of whether I need to look at the lyrics of all the pre ceremony songs! I have already caught a few which directly reference God and Heaven etc so have got rid of them, but its hard to know how pedantic to be - to me faith and grace aren't necessarily regligious things.

Anyway, any advice/experience?

Cheers!

DM X

14 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 30 January, 2012 at 15:57
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope. Otherwise, you'd have to be worrying about evening stuff as well....Your registrar oversees the ceremony, that's it. Anything outside that is down to you. If you want a priest to come along and say some words later on, you can. If you want to first dance to Amazing Grace, you can.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Great, thank you!

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Our registrar has to check the content of our pre-ceremony music as well. Not a big deal to us as it's all free of religious content anyway, but this might be something you want to think about, or check with your registrar before you send them anything.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I guess I'd better make my list just in case then! Although I'm not sure they will know many of them - they are quite foly/singer song writer type things, not much mainstream stuff!

Cheers

DMx

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks - I really don't think there is any religious content, but as I say, there is a song about having faith in a person and things like that... its a couple opf months before we get to see the registrar, but if I know to be prepared, I can be!

Thanks

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ours just use a lyrics search engine, so as long as they know the name of the song and the artist, they don't actually listen to the song - just read the lyrics online!

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Iguess that makes sense!

I will endeavour to remember exactly what I need to take for clearance when I call to book the appointment.

Cheers

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

We thought of a way around this... [cunning plan smiley]

We booked a pianist called Simon Jordan who also plays violin and he's going to play instrumental only versions of Ave Maria and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring - and the registrar is fine with this! it was the only way we could think to get around this crazy legislation.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How on earth is it crazy legislation? If religion means that much to you, get married in a church! Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

OP, think I misunderstood slightly. I thought you meant the music while guests were arriving (so could be an hour or so before) rather than when they were seating for the actual ceremony, which I guess could be construed as part of it. Still though, our registrar didn't need to vet that playlist, only the lyrics for the actual ceremony music - I printed them out and sent them back with our marriage pack.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its to play, in the ceremony room, and outside it, as the guests are assembling and sitting down....

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

Er, so I should get married in a church just because I want Ave Maria to be played at my wedding?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Word of warning - although your registrar may be fine with this, not all of them are, so other Hitchers should check carefully with their own before picking anything like this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics