Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lady_lyla
Beginner September 2013

Civil Ceremony - what happens?!

lady_lyla, 6 February, 2012 at 14:56 Posted on Planning 0 5

We are getting married in the hotel we're having the breakfast and evening reception at - but we have NO idea what a civil ceremony entails as neither of us have been to one!

How long do they last, do you have speeches, make your own vows etc - help!

5 replies

Latest activity by debs35, 7 February, 2012 at 18:42
  • Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding was all in one location too and our civil ceremony went like this...

Bride's entrance

Welcome from registrar

Reading from my cousin

Exchange of vows (we wrote ours but you can use ones found online / provided by the registrar)

Ring exchange (we wrote ours too)

Reading from my brother in law

Signing of the marriage certificate

Exit

It lasted 30 minutes in total. I hope that helps x

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Civil ceremonies are really quite flexible - there are a range of wordings and you can discuss that with your registrar, and they can be very short, just the legal bits, or you can have readings and songs. There are lots of different vows out there, or you can write your own. Or I believe you can even use a traditional set of vows but add additional word sof your own.

Our registrar sent us the text they preferred to use but we can discuss and change that if we want.

Best thing is to make an appointment to go see a registrar in the area you are getting married and speak to them.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack, Nik_Nak where did you find your readings from? i want something thats romantic but fun and nothing too slushy!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've been told our ceremony will last about 30 minutes. We are having three readings and writing our own vows in addition to the more traditional ones. We can choose our own music (no religious music or songs that could be considered religious in anyway) and the same with the readings although our registrar did provide examples and ideas. The speeches are kept for the wedding breakfast. You're ceremony could be shorter if you were not having as many readings etc - some people don't have any at all. It's completely personal preference.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Debs35 - no worries, we wanted readings that weren't too serious / slushy and something that reflected our personalities / humour.

My young cousin read the following (my choice) -

He Never Leaves The Seat Up - Pam Ayres

He never leaves the seat up
    Or wet towels upon the floor
    The toothpaste has the lid on
    And he always shuts the door!

She’s very clean and tidy
    Though she may sometimes delude
    Leave your things out at your peril
    In a second they’ll have moved!

He’s a very active person
    As are all his next of kin
    Where as she likes lazy days
    He’ll still drag her to the gym!

He romances her and dines her
    Home cooked dinners and the like
    He even knows her favourite food
    And spoils her day and night!

She’s thoughtful when he looks at her
    A smile upon his face
    Will he look that good in 50 years
    When his dentures aren’t in place?!

He says he loves her figure
    And her mental prowess too
    But when gravity takes her over
    Will she charm with her IQ?

She says she loves his kindness
    And his patience is a must
    And of course she thinks he’s handsome
    Which in her eyes is a plus!

They’re both not wholly perfect
    But who are we to judge
    He can be pig headed
    Where as she won’t even budge!

All that said and done
    They love the time they spent together
    And I hope as I’m sure you do
    That this fine day will last forever.

He’ll be more than just her husband
    He’ll also be her friend
    And she’ll be more than just his wife
    She’s be his soul mate ‘till the end.

And my brother in law read the following (my OH's choice and it went down a storm) -

1955 Rules For A Good Housewife

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before to have dinner ready on time for your husband's return home from work.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives.Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair.

3. Be a little gay (happy) and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is too provide it.
    4. Clear away the clutter in your home.

5. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.

6. Prepare the children, take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces, comb their hair, if necessary, change their clothes.
    7. Greet your husband with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

8. Listen to him. He may have a dozen things to say. Let him talk first---what he has to say is more important than what you have to say.

9. Make the evening his. Never complain if he is late or goes out to eat, even if he's been gone all night.

10. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing, and feminine voice.

11. Don't ask him questions about his actions. Remember, he is the master of the house, and you have no right to question him.

12. And finally, a good wife always knows her place.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

How wierd! i was suggesting Pam Eyres to my OH esp as hes a Devonian!! Many thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics