Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner January 2011

Civil wedding: do you need to learn vows by heart?

CAPA7, 25 July, 2012 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 6

We are having a civil wedding and we are going for the registry office's suggested wording for our vows. For those of you who have done the same, I was wondering whether you have to know the vows by heart or whether the registrar will say them first and you repeat after him/her? Do you have them written down somewhere?

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by Sloth, 25 July, 2012 at 19:42
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Nope. They say a line, you repeat.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

And do remember to repeat. I forgot, bringing much merriment to my guests as they thought I'd changed my mind and was having a wobble. I was stood there waiting for the registrar to carry on...

• C
    Beginner January 2011
    CAPA7 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, thanks for letting me know, that sounds just like something I would do!

So do they also say the bit about the ring and you repeat that too?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can either have them read it out and you repeat it, or you can have it written down - we did this. I knew it pretty much off by heart anyway, but it's helpful to have a reminder just in case the stress makes you forget!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

t'was a tad embarassing!

Yes, the registrar turns to you and says take the ring and place it on the 4th finger of his left hand repeating after her...

Reg: I give you this ring...

You: I give you this ring...

Reg: As a sign of my love and etc

You: As a sign...

Will vary depending on what vows you choose, but the Registrar will come out when you arrive and run you through it briefly before you go in.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Our registrar will apparently have our 'additional promises' written out for us and bring it on the day, but we will prob take our own copy as well just in case.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I am going to, but only because I want to not cause you have to. My sister did it for her church wedding and I thought it was nice. Well have it on cards in case we forget Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics