Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

claim to fame

14 February, 2013 at 07:56

Posted on Off Topic Posts 103

following on from mummymoo82's thread, do you actually have any famous/celebrity relations? my cousin is a man called adrian lee, he is a member of mike and the mechanics and he wrote "in the living years" about my great uncle and it was sung by mike rutherford in M&TM. He now lives in the US...

Following on from mummymoo82's thread, do you actually have any famous/celebrity relations?

my cousin is a man called adrian lee, he is a member of mike and the mechanics and he wrote "in the living years" about my great uncle and it was sung by mike rutherford in M&TM. He now lives in the US and writes for phil collins and tours with him and Toyah!

My sister is a member of the paralympic Team GB for wheelchair basketball

these are mine!

103 replies

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, if we're including people we have met I have met Steven Gerrard! Please excuse the ill fitting strapless bra ?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! That is awesome.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely jealous. I would have licked his face.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd have licked more than his face. LOVE Stevie G.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He actually makes my stomach flip.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

When I was a chef I cooked for a few marginally famous people.

Including

Kellie Holmes (athlete)

Jaques villeneuve & Martin Brundle (F1 racing drivers)

Anne Widdecomb (MP)

I was also trained by one of the chefs who made princess Diana's wedding cake.

My cousins OH was one of the Camera men on Gladiators.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sh*ts all over everyone else claims!

I don't really have one. My best friends at work was trained in a roux kitchen and alot of other people at work were trained/worked with them and Grodon Ramsey and the like.

Dead boring me!

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

As a waitress or hotel receptionist I have met Des Lynam, Rick Stein, Nigella Lawson, Caroline Quentin, Nicki Chapman, and Susannah Constantine.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

My ex was really close friends with Martin Cranie (plays football for Barnsley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cranie). We went out with him a few times - he definitely knows how to party.

My best friend dated a professional football player too, though Conference League, so not really a great claim to fame.

I remember my mum telling me once that someone in her family founded some confectionary company. But I can't remember which one it was haha.

Those are all seriously clutching at straws.

Something cool though, I went to school with the nephew of the guy who came up with the "it could be you" big-finger-pointing-slogan-thingy for the National Lottery.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Incredibly tenuous but H used to play football at a pretty good level in the same team as Jermaine Pennant and Jermaine Jenus when he was about 16. They both now earn tens of thousands of pounds a week...

Although as my H lovingly says 'Darling, If I was a premiership footballer do you really think I'd be going out with you?'. That's love, that is.

• Nancy Noodles
    Beginner
    Nancy Noodles ·
    • Hide content

I used to work for Donna Air x

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. A bit of Googling should bring it up. I believe Footlong actually read the book!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I have met...

Robbie williams (who kissed me)

Jo Brand (and made her laugh)

Sally Phillips

Arthur Smith

Ruby Wax

Emma Bridgwater (Pots and pans)

Hilary Devey (Dragons Den)

Princess Di

Prince Edward and Sophie (danced with them)

Jason Leonard (rugby)

Claire Rayner (agony aunt)

A load of footballers/ sporting B listers

Ummm will think of more later..... (this is charity world and being the celeb manager for you)

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Not as high profile as Stevie G but he plays for the same team!

Meet Stuart Downing.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Haha Flow, I have that top somewhere!!

My Grandad was a tiler/plasterer type and did the tunnel at QPR FC and the star ceiling at the London Planetarium. His cousin was Jim Gregory who used to own QPR, so I am some how related to John Gregory, ex QPR, Aston Villa etc manager.

Nan used to work at the BBC doing the ID cards for everyone and when I was a baby she used to take me around on her site visits when Mum was working. Everyone on Eastenders loved having a bebe on set.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Oh and we met Michael SMith from the Great British Menu, when we visited his restaurant.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And a jolly good book it is too!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I used to work at the theatre in Milton Keynes, which gets most of the big touring shows, so I have literally met hundreds of celebrities as I worked there for 10 years.

I dont have any famous relatives, although my little sister was in The Biz when she was younger and various adverts and my nephew has been in a few Cartoonito adverts ! I was also on the Big Breakfast in my teens, my mum arranged for us to be part of 'Down your Doorstep' ! Oh and my cousin is married to Kian Egan's (from Westlife) brother.

2 of my oldest friends went to Sylvia Young's so they went to school with a lot of famous people (including Scott from 5ive for those of you that mentioned him on the Big Reunion thread). And one of my best friends is Mandy and Nicola Smith's cousin (Mandy was the girl who married Bill Wyman when she was really young and Nicola used to go out with Teddy Sheringham !) and her other cousin is married to Paul Walsh, who I think used to play for Spurs ???

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't know. I haven't errr...actually read it! ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember you saying. There's loads about you in it ?

Nah kidding. It must be a weird feeling. If he'd have written a crime thriller or something, it might have been less taboo (not the right word) for you. But it's such an introspective book that I can imagine anyone would find it difficult.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My great grandfather was mayor of Yeovil in the 60's. Not really that famous but that's the closest I've got.

Went to school with a girl who played cricket for England, won the World Cup in 2009.

Met a few old Liverpool players, plus Graeme Thompson. Andy the singing bin-man. Oh and Mr C used to coach Dennis Bergkamp's son in football. We went to Holland with them on a football tour.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Not exactly famous but my grandad who passed away last year was mayor / a serving councillor for over 30 years and also leader of The Jazz Caverners band. Prior to his death he had been the first person to receive the Polegate civic award and has a National Express coach that travels from Eastbourne to London named after him . Following his death they have named a road after him . It's called Roy Martin Way which is pretty appropriate as he was a very unique individual.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh please tell me! I really want to say I sort-of know someone whose father wrote the Man Booker Prize winning novel xxxxxxxx. This will be my brand new claim to fame to add to my dubious list. You must be so proud of your dad, that is a brilliant achievement.

I assume your dad isn't Alan Hollinghurst!

Can you narrow it down to a decade? I have read most of the 2000s.

If it is introspective *as Footlong said* I suspect it is Julian Barnes...Can you tell me if I am right?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not my job to reveal. But I think ^^^ a bit of a jump. Many prize-winning books are introspective....

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is my favourite.

Who mentioned Alan Hollinghurst? The Line of Beauty is my favourite book, ever, but struggling with his latest The Stranger's child, or something.

I once served Cliff Richard as a 16 year old check-out girl in waitrose. He was a complete k*ob

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

OK - so it isn't a book that is introspective in its narrative style but is in its topic/theme.

Do I get a hint to the decade?

I need to now make a list of all Man Booker novels, by men, that I have read and arrange these on a continuum of very introspective to not introspective at all. I will then need to work backwards to fill in any gaps.

Question - Should I read The History of the Kelly Gang? I ask as I'm not into historical fiction and imagine it isn't introspective (unless the author is Australian or related to Kelly?).

PS Alan Hollinghurst lover - My favourite is the Line of Beauty too, Have you watched the BBC adaptation? It is really good. The Strangers Child is good, you have to let go a little of the usual Hollinghurst format and wait for the gaps in the narrative to be filled in. The final narrative voice took me a while to adapt to but I found it to be the most revealing as it was that little more removed and had less invested in the poet. It's actually a sad book, the loss of 'genius' amongst the desire to catalogue a life which invariably attempts to categorise and dissect. I felt that Hollinghurst was suggesting that genius or talent is an entity in its own right and is separate to the identity of the artist. Also, you can never capture that spark once it has gone, through objects, books or theories.

I wrote a paper at uni comparing The Swimming Pool Library and Room with a View for my Queer Theory unit - ironically making the same error that Hollinghurst is suggesting should be avoided!

• V
    Beginner January 1998
    vintagegirl ·
    • Hide content

Not a relation but I worked with Liam Payne from One Directions mom...

Therefore met him. He sang for us..

• V
    Beginner January 1998
    vintagegirl ·
    • Hide content

Oh and my Grandads best friend went out with Dierdre Barlow!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh I need to dig it out and read it again - I usally re-read every couple of years. Ahhh I LOVED the BBC adaption. Normally I hate the movie/tv programme after the book as it just isn't as satisfying (book lover/snob). but the adaption was fantastic. I gave it to my mum who then passed it around all her friends who loved it too. Acting was superb. I will keep going with the Strangers Child, as I don't like to let a book defeat me, but just expected to be "grabbed" more than half way in. It was Sunday Times Book of the year so I keep waiting to agree (as the Times/Sunday Times is one of my favourite things in the world).

Never read the Swimming Pool but always meant to - next on my list to buy.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

RK - It's very introspective in narrative style, how can a book be introspective about a topic? I'm not sure where you're going or what you're thinking....in fact, this whole conversation is very confusing. Why does it depend on the ones you have read? Bizarre.

Peter Carey is an excellent writer. I was ambivalent about the True History Of The Kelly Gang - not usually my kind of book - but it was actually pretty fab. My Dad really liked it as well. And yes, Carey is Australian. Again, why would that indicate introspection? Is it not possible for a non-Australian to be introspective about Australia? Anyway, it's not an introspective book, it's a bit of a rollicking tale.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Anyway, you're all wrong. By far the best Booker winner is The God Of Small Things. In the last few years, it recently overtook Midnight's Children in my ranking. And that one's the Booker of Bookers. Sigh, if only Arundhati Roy had written as second....

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure where I'm going with that train of thought either - I guess my idea of introspection is an inward looking narrative, exploring self in some way - Either emotions/philosophical wonderings or something that is an aspect of the self. That is why I thought that Carey, as an Australian, could be using the Kelly Gang as a means to consider his/the Australian identity. Just as I might write about the supposed grounding of the Spanish Armada in Sligo to explore my Irish identity. That is what I mean by theme/topic as opposed to narrative voice, which is more about the style of the writing. What do you mean by introspection Footlong?

I'm quite sure I read the God of Small Things, but I can't remember it...

I loved The Night Circus last year but, to my shame, since beginning teaching, I don't find time to read more than class texts and YA fiction except on holiday.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics