Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

claim to fame

14 February, 2013 at 07:56

Posted on Off Topic Posts 103

following on from mummymoo82's thread, do you actually have any famous/celebrity relations? my cousin is a man called adrian lee, he is a member of mike and the mechanics and he wrote "in the living years" about my great uncle and it was sung by mike rutherford in M&TM. He now lives in the US...

Following on from mummymoo82's thread, do you actually have any famous/celebrity relations?

my cousin is a man called adrian lee, he is a member of mike and the mechanics and he wrote "in the living years" about my great uncle and it was sung by mike rutherford in M&TM. He now lives in the US and writes for phil collins and tours with him and Toyah!

My sister is a member of the paralympic Team GB for wheelchair basketball

these are mine!

103 replies

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Zero interesting relatives myself, but I seem to have a few connected friends:

Friend is descendent of Rosalind Franklin, one of the discoverers of DNA

My old housemate's uncle is Alan Rickman (Professor Snape)

Ex's best friend is in Foals

I went to school with Sean Bean's daughters I guess? I have actually seen him at a parent teachers meeting. He looks exactly the same

I think One Direction live near me, or so I've heard.

BF played football with Greg Rutherford back in the day (Milton Keynes boy!)

There's a long list of schoolmate's famous parents but it's not people I was necessarily friends with so I wouldn't consider them claims. I didn't go to a fancy private school, just a nice grammar so the literary/sciencey peeps would send their kids there.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And we have a winner! ?

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

Cheryl Baker used to have an appartment in the same block as my nan and grandad's holiday appartment in Spain. Does that count? I don't think I have any other connections.

But a colleague of mine used to treat Delia Smith's cats and Delia baked her a cake.

• Aardvark
    Beginner January 2012
    Aardvark ·
    • Hide content

One for the oldies...

I was in an episode of 1970s cop series 'The Professionals' when I was about 5 or 6. My nan lived on an estate where they were filming and they wanted kids playing in the background. They keep showing it on one of the ITV freeview channels which is a bit weird.

My mum spent all day making tea for the cast and flirting outrageously with Lewis Collins who as far as I recall smelt very good... I have photos of me with the cast as well.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My Dad LOVES the Professionals - Since he discovered it is shown on Freeview he has been drooling over the cars and women. The 70s was his decade. I am worried he might try to return to flares.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

I went to school with Mylo off of Drop the Pressure dance music fame.

My H is the great, great, great (not sure how many) nephew of JM Barrie and in fact his name is Barrie...runs in the family obv. If only he hadn't been such a generous git leaving all his money to the kiddies hospital I'd have married into money!!

For the Scots among you....I am good friends with the Munro family (Donnie Munro Runrig) and had my wedding photos taken in their garden.

A colleague of mine used to play the part of a police officer in Take the High Road. Ha ha ha! Total grasping at straws here!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Oh I forgot my best one...

While surfing I caught the same wave as Thom Yorke of Radiohead (we surf on the beach where he has a house) and we grinned at each other as we swooshed towards the shore!

And then a couple of weeks later I was in a pub nearby and Pete Townshend (the Who) was at the next table.

My friends accuse me of living in Narnia.

Redkitchie, I conversationed you.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

No famous relatives in my family although my uncle has dinner with Manchester United players regularly.

My Dad and Uncle were on Noel's House Party.

Our friends used to live across the road from Simon Pegg until he moved last summer.

Not exactly claims to fame but seen a few celebs around, faves are Adele. Saw her in Green Park tube once. Am also 99.99% certain I saw Bob Dylan on the high street with his guitar once. There is a converted church across the road from us with a studio which apparently the bloke from the Eurthymics owns and he told Bob Dylan to use whenever he likes. He apparently has a house round here too. It really looked exactly like him but I was too scared to approach because I am in awe of him!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Met Gareth Bale wakting for the Easyjet flight back from Faro and then the year after met Steven Gerrard and his family also on the Easyjet flight from Faro. They must both enjoy their June golf breaks in the Algarve.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. This book is spectacular.

I am glad she only wrote one book; it makes it even more precious.

I really don't like Alan Hollinghurst...I must be missing something. I don't like Ian McEwan, either.

Julian Barnes, on the other hand...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, I haven't met many other fans. Mostly because I suspect it's a slightly obscure one... Her use of language is astonishing.

I finished my tenth (approx) re-read last night. I still feel both horrified and overjoyed at the end, even though I know it's all coming (horrified at the Terror, not the brother-sister thing).

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is - it's like music. I once recommended it to someone and they didn't even finish it; I was a bit offended and actually liked them less (not that much less...it was my nan!).

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

My granda's sister is (or was) the great grandma of a very famous Geordie.... Smiley smile so cousins of sorts

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wor Joe? Our Cheryl?

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Remember I'm from the east end of Newcastle, surely that's a big clue? Hehe Smiley winking and I said VERY famous Geordie...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know you were from the East end but I was going to say Sting? He's Wallsend isn't he? But then I thought if it's your gran's sister's great grandchild then that means they can't be much older than you if at all?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I bet I'm missing someone obvious!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You totally are! - If it's who I think it is!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's going to drive me round the bend.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gazza ?? Or one of Ant and Dec ?

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

Kharv had it first time, I was just being naughty keeping you hanging! Smiley smile wor chezza xx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never do this here. You have been warned.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sting taught with my hubby's Dad. He became a teacher after he broke his leg (he was professional football player). Brian Clough was my hubby's godfather and hubby's Dad returned the favour. Hubby has all kinds of links to people. They guy going out with Pippa Middleton was in his class at school. He is good friends with one of Level 42 (they are in regular contact), he was once engaged to Maureen Lipman's daughter. I can't think of any more off the top of my head?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now that is cool.

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ill do what I want thanks very much

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Quite jealous of some of you lot.

My only claim to fame is having once been in a music video, for a little known band who have now split up. No famous relatives that I know of, not friends with anyone famous and no one on OH's side of the family either. Boo.

Edit: I lie. I went to school with this lass: http://brattonline.com, albeit she was in the year below me.

Also went to Primary school with Justin Hoyte and Peta Todd. (Arsenal footballer, Page 3 girl)

Burried those ones right down deep in my subconscious...

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Only one famous relative long time dead now, Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

• sophkitten
    Beginner May 2015
    sophkitten ·
    • Hide content

I met Will Young last year Smiley smile

I met Busted when they were around.

I was in the crowd in Embrace's World Cup song video.

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

H2B has moved Robbie Williams a couple of times. Has been made a bacon sammich by Chris Martin and a cuppa by Elaine Paige. His sister lives round the corner from Lawrence Delallio's mum and up the road from Lionel Blair.

I've been with him when he delivered Andrew Lloyd Webber's anniversary present to his wife in Ireland (it was an oak door!!! go figure) but he wasn't in

I've put my cup of coffee on a Picasso and a Monet (albeit in cases - ok I know they're not people).

I've met the Queen, Prince Philip, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Terry Waite, Desmond Tuto, Kiri te Kanawa and some bloke that invented the pill and... Rory McGrar (awful man).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

John Rock? He's been dead 30 years!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I really like the ending(s) - brackets because there are several different strands that are brought together to a close. In my opinion, it's fab.

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

Well no idea who it was then - that's what it said on the degree thingummy and if he was dead he looked pretty good on it Smiley smile.. perhaps the bloke I saw get an honorary degree was the bloke that made the tea?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics