Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

clarehj
Beginner April 2012

Clare Wedding Report*****flash heavy & self-indulgent!****

clarehj, 19 of July of 2012 at 21:54 Posted on Planning 0 38

Hi there

Whilst I am not the most profilic poster, I've always enjoyed hitched, ironically more so now I got married! I think just more time.

I love reading people's wedding reports and seeing the flashes, so thought I would do my own! I like to be a little self-indulgent!

So, I met my French husband, Pascal, one drunken summer night in 2008. I had been single a while so my friends dragged me out to some London bars (I live in Surrey). I met Pascl, had a little dance, and we swapped numbers. i then was so drunk I missed my last train home and had to call my Daddy to come pick me up (I was 24 at the time!, now 29!) Anyway, I was thrilled when Pascal text me the next day to ask me out for a date! He was down on my phone for a long time as "French dude" but eventually got his name into my phone back.

We dated... we moved in in May 2010 to a flat in London, and I moved out of my parents finally, and then we got engaged.

Pascal asked me to marry him in a retuarant in London in feb 2010, and thankfully not on valentines' day (too cliche for me!) I was thrilled to be asked, but bit disappointed with the venue (to be frank!) as was not intimate and all the waiters were really nervy about us! The waiter bought over some champage just before and I stupidly asked "oh is it some kind of meal deal?" as I couldn't work out why we were having champagne on a wednesday night!

I thought he was a brave boy as I'm a divorce lawyer, and had been getting used to comments about nobody would marry me!

Anyway, we started looking at venues and it turns out I was the FUSSIEST bride in the world. We looked at 17 venues in all across Surrey and couldn't see anything we liked, or were simply too small. As half the guests were coming from france we needed everyone to be invited to everything. We looked at Nonsuch Mansion, Great Fosters, Parkstead house, Frensham Heights, Hampton Court House, Mecure Barn and a load of barns, hotels etc

Eventually, we found the one, One Great George Street - in central London, Westminster. Was amazing. Loved it and knew it had to be the one even though Pascal didn't want a City wedding.

I am not one of life's natural organisers - and struggled with the admin and organisation of the wedding. Also not good with colours and creative ideas so struggled. Add to that my grandpa was very unwell and so desperately wanted him to be at the wedding, and had a torrid time at work during the planning. Had a nightmare bullying boss who i finally got the courage to stand up to, and then was the happiest girl in the world when the horrible woman left shortly afterwards! A very stressful time.

Again, wedding dress shopping was an ordeal - started to panic. I was looking for a dress with the wow factor and that gave me the waist of a 9 year old girl. I tried one one that made this random woman cry when she saw me, even though her poor daughter was standing before her in her gown and got no reaction! This made me almost buy this one but I didn't love it. Eventually I went for Jolie by Mon Cheri and pretty much knew it as soon as I tried it on!

getting ready was loads of fun with my girls - four bridesmaids - 1 sister, two best friends and Pascal's sister. I tried bridesmaid shopping but two of which were fussy and stroppy, and didn't want to spend a fortune on dresses they ddn't like that much so ended up buying purple dresses from Kaliko!

Didn't want to spend a fortune on cars that nobody would see, and as a city wedding ordered a white cab to take me and my amazing daddy to the venue

Pascal phoned me from venue to say how amazing it looked. got there super early as no traffic (despite being the marathon weekend in London) and was so nervous, but loved the ceremony. Was a civil ceremony (I'm jewish and pascal's background is french catholic). My daddy gave me away

then on to reception in the lobby of One Great George Street

and some confetti....

doesn't look like 107 people to me!

our great hall for dinner and dance

Our cakes - english cupcakes and french marcaron tower (which took me forever find somebody to do!)

The cake topper was a surprise for Pascal

and my lovely lovely grandpa made it! Here he is with my sister.

Entertainment wise, we had a photobooth that went down so well - complete with props and wind machine which meant guests all got to take a photo home and we have the best guestbook with everyone's photos and about a 100 other photos!

oooh I forgot, before we had dinner we went out to Westminster for some photos - all down Parliament Square. Was amazing. Loads of people staring, taking photos, congratulating us, beeping us - was truly amazing and I loved every minute

one my lovely family as well

and we danced the night away. first dance was a waltz (traditional french style) and then Elton John Your Song.

Loved the day - as cheesy as it sounds was truly the best day of our lives. I loved every minute. I had been so stressed during the build-up and planning, but on teh day all anxiety melted away and it was the happiest day of my life Feel so lucky to be married to my babe and love coming home from my work to see my husband every day - truly my best friend,

That's it - excuse the self-indulgence and hope it wasn't too boring!

xxx

38 replies

Latest activity by clarehj, 25 of February of 2015 at 17:57
  • monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report and your photos are great - absolutley love your dress! Many congrats

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! You looked stunning and sounds like a fun day, your venue is absolutely stunning and where better to get photos than around Westminster?

x

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I bet the tourists thought you were celebrities!!

Love it, you look beautiful and I love your frock Smiley smile

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies! London photos are my favourite and something different! So sad I can't wear my dress again - truly felt like a princess!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ha we did feel like celebrities. I felt like a albino Kim Kardashian!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful wedding, we looked into George Street too but it was too big for what we wanted.

What supplier did you use for the Marcarons in the end? (we still toying with the idea of having them) I feel we have sampled nearly every supplier in London in search of the best LOL

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! Where are you getting married? We started with 125 guests but went down to 107, so were a bit worried it would be too big but was perfect - they have minimum numbers of 100.

I used crumbelina. I knew the mother-in-law of the lady who runs it - guests loved the macaron tower!

x

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely photo's and your cake topper is great!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea we looked at the early stages of our planning when we wasn't sure what we wanted so we looked at various sized venues both in the city and outside but we decided to have a more intimate affair and went with 'The Dorchester' which was actually the first place we viewed.

oooh thank you not heard of Crumbelina before, Pierre Herme's are my all time faves but they are pricey ☹️

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Mmmm to Pierre Herme - amazing but expensive!

I LOVE the Dorchester - was there for afternoon tea the last weekend and gorgeous - how exciting - when is the big date? Our guests loved having a city wedding - a bit different!

x

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Wow those cakes look stunning! You all looked lovely and the venue is gorgeous!

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely stunning, congratulations x

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Everything looks so beautiful Smiley smile

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Wow, absolutely amazing photos. Your venue was spectacular, you and the wedding party all look lovely and those cakes...wow! I bet it would've been great fun to walk around Westminster in your dress! I'd love to do that! Big congratulations Smiley smile

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Stunning! Congratulations to you both x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

7th September 2013 ageeees away! ☹️ we wrote this year off due to the Olympics and 2 of my best friends are off travelling.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bridejuly2013 ·
    • Hide content

Love this report, you look beautiful! Can I ask where you got your photobooth from? Thanks! x

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

You dress is bloody beautiful, and you look gorgeous.

Congrats!

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous venue/family! Love your photos, especially the one with your grampa!

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous venue/family! Love your photos, especially the one with your grampa!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

So so lovely! the cake toppers are excellent Smiley smile

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for the lovely messages. Love reading them and reliving my day. Never knew I would enjoy my own wedding so much, as strange as that sounds.

The photobooth was Pictureblast - thought they were fab and professional. Booth is retro booth with a wind machine and comes with a booth butler who helps everyone put their photos in the guestbook and encourages them to write a message (when they may have had a few as well!)

Thanks girls - love my dress so - got so many people talking to me about it and so glad I went for a princessy dress - how often do you get to dress like a princess really?

xxx

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I love your cakes! My OH is half French so I'd love a few French touches like you had.

You look beautiful in your dress x

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I love your cakes! My OH is half French so I'd love a few French touches like you had.

You look beautiful in your dress x

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, gorgeous pics. Congratulations.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Thank you hon! It really was amazing - went so quickly and felt like a dream. Most amazing day of our lives. I can't believe I was such a stresshead before it!

xx

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report! Looks like it wasa fantastic wedding! x

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations. Your wedding dress is stunning

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely- my favourite picture is the one with the spotty umbrella ! Love the macaroon tower, they look so pretty for weddings :-) Congratulations x

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report. Congratulations.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Just beautiful!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding's amazing....but must say, you have the most stunning bridesmaids ever, where ever did you find them? xxxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics