Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Clearing up the day after....village hall wedding

MaeMae, 1 of October of 2014 at 00:31 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Has anyone got married at a village hall and had to do a big clean up themselves the day after? If anyone has any advice on who they got to take down all the decorations, box them up for collection, sweep the floors and bag up the rubbish.

I have a wedding coordinator who is helping to dress some of the hall, and she has quoted me £35ph to do the clear up the morning after. I was thinking of contacting maybe a cleaning company but they would need someone to coordinate the clean up still, which decorations get boxed/bagged up etc.

Ideally I didn't want to rope in my friends and family as everyone would be hanging the next day!! And I don't mind doing it at all, though I know my friends and family wouldn't allow it.

Any advice would be amazing. Thanks :-)

4 replies

Latest activity by MaeMae, 5 of October of 2014 at 19:15
  • R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings where we have had to clean up the same night. B&G had asked the best man as part of his wedding duties to organise a small clean up party prior to the wedding but the guest who were left at the end of the night, once they had cottoned on to what the others were doing, helped out too and the whole hall, which had had 240 people in it was cleared, swept, hovered and mopped in 40minutes with about 15 of us doing it. It was fun, because we were all a bit drunk.

The second wedding was a marquee and we cleaned up the morning after. The B&G were doing it themselves, but one of the guests drove past the field it was in and saw what they were doing stopped and called other guests, about 15 of us again turned up, one with a box full of bacon sarnies! Again it was fun, felt a bit special in a weird way.

I wouldn't worry about asking for volunteers. I'd ask my MOH and her husband to sort things in to groups (have pre made 'keep' and 'bin' signs to pop on the piles and then leave it to the clean up company- as a MOH or a good friend of the B&G I would not mind volunteering for the coordinator role.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings where we have had to clean up the same night. B&G had asked the best man as part of his wedding duties to organise a small clean up party prior to the wedding but the guest who were left at the end of the night, once they had cottoned on to what the others were doing, helped out too and the whole hall, which had had 240 people in it was cleared, swept, hovered and mopped in 40minutes with about 15 of us doing it. It was fun, because we were all a bit drunk.

The second wedding was a marquee and we cleaned up the morning after. The B&G were doing it themselves, but one of the guests drove past the field it was in and saw what they were doing stopped and called other guests, about 15 of us again turned up, one with a box full of bacon sarnies! Again it was fun, felt a bit special in a weird way.

I wouldn't worry about asking for volunteers. I'd ask my MOH and her husband to sort things in to groups (have pre made 'keep' and 'bin' signs to pop on the piles and then leave it to the clean up company- as a MOH or a good friend of the B&G I would not mind volunteering for the coordinator role.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Our reception was in a golf club room. At the end of the night the bridesmaids/best man/my parents all got together with bin bags etc and cleared the worst of it up, and boxed up the remaining buffet/cake for us to take home. The uplighter guy turned up at 1am to dismantle them. The next day OH went back and collected the tablecloths/candelabras etc. There wasn't much to clear up luckily, once food and glasses etc were taken out of the equation.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MaeMae ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for the replies! I think you're all quite right, it would be easy to just get on and sort the place out with a handful of friends the next day. I don't think it's much to extend the time till midday to clear the hall which would be plenty of time so we wouldn't have to rush after breakfast.

Luckily the bar are taking all their glasses at the end of the night so really it'll only be decorations that need taking down and a quick sweep of the floor so with a few pairs of hands it should be pretty quick.

Thanks again xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics