Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gurzle
Beginner April 2013

Coach/routemaster hire in Essex

Gurzle, 9 September, 2011 at 12:49 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello all

I am thinking of providing guest transport from hotel to church and then on to venue, and then at 11.30pm, a return journey from venue to hotel.

I am guessing that, at the most, we will be looking at about 70 guests who choose to stay at a hotel (this is a guess...we will be having about 140 or so guests, but am assuming some will choose to designate their own drivers etc).

I am open to hiring just an ordinary coach, however if the pricing is not too different, I would like to hire a vintage bus/routemaster.

So far, I have had one quote for £850 for the whole thing, which I thought was quite reasonable but M did NOT agree (standard, in our house).

We are getting married in Essex. The hotel is about 20 miles from the church and the church is 1 mile from the venue, a total round trip of 42 miles. The bus will also be required to wait for approx 1 hour outside church before doing drop of at venue on outward journey.

Has anyone got an quotes for this sort of transport in our area that they felt were particularly reasonable? Any reccommendations/thoughts?

Do you think £850 is unreasonable in your experience?

Thanks in advance

11 replies

Latest activity by Gurzle, 12 September, 2011 at 17:39
  • S
    Beginner August 2011
    Sara-Jane ·
    • Hide content

We used timebustravel.co.uk ( I am sure they cover Essex) we had a similar thing collecting from a hotle then about 10 miles to the church, waiting for an hour, then about 20 miles to the reception. It was a flat fee of £495 - I think £850 is a bit steep. good luck xx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts in Essex? This company is based in Rainham.

https://www.goaheadlondon.com

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys - crumbs, maybe M was right, £850 is a bit steep!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

We're using Doigs of Glasgow for our transport. We're running 3 buses in total. One for the day, one for the evening and a return bus in the evening. It's costing us about £600, but that was the first quote they gave us based on our original numbers. Once we know better we can go back to them and agree the coach sizes which will affect the price. I have a suspicion that we might not actually need a day coach at all as most of our day guests will be staying at the venue which is about 30 miles outside of Glasgow.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

RKB that sounds very reasonable indeed for three buses.

I think it is the late return that is bumping mine up...although it is only 11.30pm for goodness sake! (I actually think I have got this wrong and our venue closes at 12.30, must check this).

Also, vintage buses with conductors are unlikely to run so late at night, which I can understand...I wouldn't want to be a conductor to a bus full of drunk people at midnight.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I didn't think it was too bad. Our time of departure in the evening is 00:30. I always used to think that i would want my night to go on til at least 1am, but having been at a couple of weddings, i think midnight is probably late enough!

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have just rung a local coach company and asked for a price for 1 trip. Its from the church to venue approx 10 miles (just under) and its £300!!!!!!!!!!!! I thinkthats so expensive it would be cheaper for me to pay individual taxis for them all!! Cant believe how expensive some things are xx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Round here it's known as "The W Tax" - everything wedding related is always vastly overpriced.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For a one way 10 mile journey?? That is really expensive...

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

Thank god you agree thought I was being tight!! The thing is the woman on the phone just plucked it out of thin air. I thought it would be a nice gesture to put transport on for guests (I havn't been to a wedding where they do that) but know its quite popular now, but at that price it looks like bus passes ha xx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its for insurance purposes to ensure that no drunk falls off and sues.....?

As suggested above Time Bus are worth talking to. Nice fleet of buses.

http://www.timebus.co.uk

Peter

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Just thought I'd give this a bump as it seems to have got a bit busier on here today and thought I might get some more thoughts on it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics