Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

GEMINIBEBE
Beginner August 2010

Coating my gold engagement ring

GEMINIBEBE, 19 September, 2009 at 09:57 Posted on Planning 0 7

Morning ladies

I have had my engagement ring for 10 years now and I still love the design, but the only thing is, its gold (18ct) and I havent worn gold jewellery for at least 8 years I always wear silver or white gold.

I am debating having it coated (rhodium?) my friend at work has hers done for about £20 per time - she used to work in a jewellers, although her ring is white gold already but it tarnishes quickly she said she will probably need to do it once a year?

Has anyone done this or doing this? I really really want a white gold or platinum wedding band, because as I say I dont wear gold so would not be completely happy with it if it was gold.

Any suggestions or stories from experience?

TIA!

Lia

XX

7 replies

Latest activity by GEMINIBEBE, 19 September, 2009 at 18:20
  • Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I think its a good idea to get it plated with white gold if, as you say, you would prefer that to the yellow gold.

I don't actually have a white gold ring but I know people that do and say that they have to get it re-plated on average around once a year. It isn't really that expensive to get done though so I say if thats what you want go for it.

That said , other Hitchers might actually have some experience of this and be able to advise you properly.

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    kerryanneellis ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gemini

I have a white gold ring and basically if you got yours rhodium plated thats exactly the same as what they do to achieve white gold.

The only problem is it will go yellow over a period of time if your wearing it every day throught wear/tear and chemicals etc, however you can have it rhodium plated as many times as you like, as Gillsy said i used to get mine done once a year

K X

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies

Yeah Ive been thinking about doing it for a while now, you are right Kerry it is the same way they achieve white gold, I was trying to explain it to my OH this morning, but he is adamant he wants a gold band, I dont mind that they wont match, it doesnt matter to us. I would like a white gold wedding band, so I am going into town in a bit to take it in the jewellers to get them to do it for me, then I can get it done again just before the wedding!!

Thanks for your replies

Lia

XX

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I have both white gold wedding and engagement ring. I have mine re-plated around every 3 years. My hubby's ring is yellow gold but we weren't really bothered about being different to be honest. It was our silver wedding anniversary last year and we had ours cleaned and re-plated then and mine's still fine. You can get white gold ring cleaner from the jeweller which helps in between re-platings.

• U
    Beginner December 2009
    Umbrellacademic ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is white gold and I would love to have it replated before the wedding- do all jewellers do it? I don't want to get misled or if I ask for the wrong thing or any of that....thanks...sorry for hijacking the post!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Yes, any good jeweller will do it - it normally costs £25.

• twf
    Beginner August 2009
    twf ·
    • Hide content

I had my e-ring done and it tarnished within 6 weeks, so it was re-done and for me it went back to gold again after a few months.

TMI, but I get quite sweaty hands and have horses so it was definitely against the elements.

The jeweller I last had it done by said it could damage the diamond if you have it done too often. Not sure how true that is or if he was saying it as I was trying to get it re-rhodiumed for free as it shouldnt have tarnished that quickly.

A high street jeweller does it for £30

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies

Ok just been into town to the jewellers my friend used to work in.

He has been in business for over 30 years I believe he knows what he is talking about so asked him loads of questions. He took a look at my ring and said that yes he could definately do it, but there is a chance it could rub off in 3 months, or might last for 2 years. I would definately have to have it done at least annually.

He also suggested that the actual gold ring could be cut away from the diamond face (I will have to post a pic to show you what I mean) and he could replace the actual band with white gold band and top up with the rhodium yearly. At least that way, the gold wont show through, it wont be so noticeable if silver shines through.

Anyway, I said I would like him to try it and he said he gladly would and it will be ready in a week. He said if I didnt like it or it didnt last long he would take it back to gold for me.

Im happy with that, cant wait to see the results!

Note to self; You havent lost your ring its at the jewellers stop panicking!! (feeling my finger with my thumb)

XX

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics