Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Cold sore/cold help

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 30 of July of 2013 at 15:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I have become prone to cold sores (maybe two or three a year). I only ever get them after a cold (although not with every cold). They appear in exactly the same spot, under my nose, in a tender area - it gets wiped a lot when blowing my nose and it's the position of an old but raised scar. I once proposed the prophylactic use of acyclovir whenever I have a cold but someone here told me that was pointless (can't remember who).

So, given that I never manage to catch cold sores early enough to prevent them appearing, I need to address the rate at which I get colds. I can have a decent sniffle one every couple of months, although full-blown horror only happens once a year, maybe.

What do you girls do to ward off colds? I drink enough orange juice (which should reduce the duration, if not the frequency, of colds) and take a multi-vitamin/mineral daily. My diet is either angelic or demonic. I come from a hayfeverish family - might a low level allergy be weakening me to bugs?

Does anyone here take lysine supplements or oral acyclovir to address cold sores directly?

15 replies

Latest activity by Pompey, 31 of July of 2013 at 10:56
  • MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I find berocca to pretty useful but I couldn't swear that it isn't a placebo effect! A few years ago I had a bit of an addiction to English mustard so ate it with everything and I never caught a cold in about four years...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, forgot this. Doesn't horseradish/mustard help you fight off the cold? Off to check....

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Never had a cold sore but I do get mouth ulcers when I have a cold and they can be really painful and linger for ages!

I have a friend who swears by berocca for fighting of colds...

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Number 2 son used to get very nasty cold sores, to the extent the out GP sent him for blood tests in case there was an underlying cause.

He takes lysine and they have been wonderful. He was only little when he started taking them (we had to crush them and mix them in his yoghurt). As a teenager he does get fed up of taking them and within months of stopping they will usually make a return.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, very helpful. I had assumed my vitamin/mineral tablet would cover my vitB/zinc/etc needs but will check.

LoveSka, where do you get lysine from? Boots?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I get them from Holland and Barratt.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I also second the use of lysine supplements. My H suffers really badly from cold sores so I bought him some from H&B. I was hoping that he'd take them as a preventative measure but he can't/ doesn't remember to take them every day so he uses them when he's got one. It definitely reduces the healing time IMO.

I also got him one of those light zapper things from Boots but he is not convinced that it actually does anything.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I have suffered with cold sores for a long time and in the run up to the wedding was paranoid about getting one. After doing some research I started taking lysine and have not had one since, which is amazing considering i would get them whenever I was run down or in the sun for the first time. You need to take it with Zinc for maximum effect. I tried acyclovir but to no effect at all. They are so miserable and sore aren't they, evil things.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear this. I had trouble with them for years. Could get several in a season. I ended up with 3 main places they would appear, all on my mouth, and have some gentle scarring. Still get the odd tingle now...

The single only thing that has prevented them showing, for me, is SLEEP.

I cancel things and sleep when I feel my glands swollen or tingle on my lip. I don't like it, but after all these years I've learnt that it's what works for me.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My cat had feline herpes virus and the vet recommended Lysine for him, I know you are not a cat but same principal I guess. I tried taking acyclovir and it didnt do anything - I thought it was going to be my saviour ?

Me, the creams and patches only treat an active sore and wont prevent one appearing but will decrease the size and severity once a sore has been activated

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

When a cold sore starts to appear I use Geranium oil. Blo*dy stinks but works a treat in making them heal up quickly or stopping it coming through altogether. Weird thing is in the 4 or 5 years I have been using it the number I get in a year has decreased dramatically from say 4 or 5 per year to one in the last 12 months. I swear by it x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

LP - my mum uses tea tree oil on hers. I wonder if it's a similar mechanism? Astringent, moisturising type stuff?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Footlong - Yep apparently it works in a really similar way. I just prefer the geranium oil. They both stink but I am not a fan of tea tree at all.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I havent found any sure fire way of preventing cold sores yet, but a woman at work suggested applying tea tree oil to it. They're normally dried up and gone within 2-3days so I swear by it now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics