Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner June 2013

Colour scheme advice!

Tinytootz, 2 February, 2012 at 10:22 Posted on Planning 0 13

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area!

Ever since I was wee, I always knew my wedding was going to be rainbow themed. Not actual rainbows, but the colours. So, the time has arrived, and now I'm unsure! I will be having 4 bridesmaids, so cannot do the whole rainbow - dya think it will look naff? Everything else will be rainbow (flowers, tables, invitations, centrepieces, favours etc), but I'll be 2 bridesmaids shy of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. I was going to avoid yellow and orange for them, as I can't see them jumping at that idea!

13 replies

Latest activity by Flawless Weddings, 4 February, 2012 at 20:55
  • DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I think that sounds fabulous!

Maybe you could have yellow and orange sashes on your BM dresses?

I think if you could get the dresses in some iof the richer satins then even with bright colours they still look very classy. I think it would be fabulous!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, there was a rainbow-coloured wedding in one of the bridal magazines I looked at recently and it looked so good! All the maids wore different colours, and the petticoats under the wedding gown were rainbow coloured, too (out of sight unless she lifted up the skirt I think, but maybe they peeper out the bottom). They had flowers of every shape, size, and colour, probably much cheaper than the very strict colour-scheme floral arrangements, and basically everything looked really upbeat, happy, and fun!

• T
    Beginner June 2013
    Tinytootz ·
    • Hide content

I did consider the sashes when lying in bed last night (as you do!) but I then got bogged down in the whole idea of clashing. I think red, green, purple and blue bridesmaids will look nice without the yellow/orange. I was going to have each bridesmaid with flowers the colour of their frock, and then my bouquet was going to *hopefully* be a mix of them all. In an ideal world, I would have a yellow/orange bridesmaid, but it would mean asking someone who isn't very close, which seems pointless for the sake of a colour scheme!

I did consider the older bridesmaids being green/yellow, blue/purple, and red/orange, and the smaller one being pink (which would be what she wanted!), but then it gets quite complicated, plus pink is not involved anywhere else in the day! But I am liking the petticoat idea, but would depend on what dresses I picked, as they are all different heights, shapes and sizes - 5' - 5'10", and size 10-22!

Thank you for putting my slightly stressed mind at ease Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm if it were me I'd be careful not to overdo the theme. As you only have four bridesmaids I'd probably have them all in the same colour and add the rainbow elsewhere. Maybe like these?

It's way of incorporating all colours to your bms. These too:

You could have Skittles as favours? And a rainbow wedding cake? Although personally I'd do that something like this - plain on the outside:

I think the key to a theme like this is to keep it understated. Otherwise it could end up looking a bit circus-like?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Actually, now I think of it, one of my BMs used all teh different colours of chair sash that the venue had tied round white chair covers and they looked brilliant, and very rainbowy but classy too!

Love the idea of the coloured underskirts!

I'm sure I saw a rainbow weddingdress online once too - quite punky in style but absolutely brilliant!

• T
    Beginner June 2013
    Tinytootz ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we are trying to avoid the circus theme by keeping it as subtle as possible, as that was a concern of my mothers, but single coloured bridesmaids would defeat the idea in my opinion. Most of the things will be white/clear, but the pieces which you can choose colour for, we will be doing. Coloured sashes on the chairs, coloured napkins, coloured flowers, coloured bridesmaids and the men will have coloured ties/cravats, but by sticking to single colours rather than multi on the one object or thing (blue table, green table etc), I am hoping we will avoid it looking like a childrens tea party! I kinda feel I either have to go with the colour scheme, or not at all, hence my reluctance to add in a pink person, and concern over the lack of a yellow/orange person Smiley smile

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Could you have one colour dresses for all three & then multi flower & say one in a red sash & underskirt, one in a yellow sash & under skirt etc.. still very colourful but not as OTT as it may look.

i liek the idea above of the different chair ribbons

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Good Rainbow wedding details:

Bad Rainbow wedding details:

More good rainbow:

Argh, I'm now wishing I could pull off a rainbow wedding, but I feel like it either needs an outdoor or modernist white backdrop to look amazing and I'm getting married in suite of room with big old fireplaces and dark wood panelling and red drapes and rainbow wouldn't go Smiley sad

Sorry for all the photos, but I was loving the google image search. I think it would be fine to leave out one or two colours for the BMs or to double up colours like you suggested. I think a Yellow/Green, Blue/Purple, and Red/Orange would be lovely, and then how about a white flower girl dress with ribbons of every colour around the waist or in her hair, or on the basket of petals. Or wait. how old is she? I think I've assumed she's a flower girl...

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this sounds lovely.

The comment about overdoing it is a fair one, but I think if you have a white/pale dress, and you keep table cloths, napkins, chairs etc quite plain, then you could used mixed colours int he table centres and chair sashes etc etc and they will pop out, rather than looking messy - especially if most things are one colour, but a mix or them (like chair sashes aren't rainbow striped. but mixed solid colours IYSWIM). I can picture it in my head anyway! ;o)

Or what about BMs in once colour frock - maybe green or blue or purple that could be a little darker with the bright rainbow colours as petticoats?

You would have to make sure that the colours you are putting together do work, but I think it is possible!

• T
    Beginner June 2013
    Tinytootz ·
    • Hide content

She will be 10, but by then is liable to be taller than me (she's only 2" off as it is!), so I felt she may look out of place as a flower girl!

I've seen all the rainbow things on google images, they really are beautiful. I have AGES to go yet, but I like the idea of putting the little on (I say little, ha!) in white with all the colours, but she may end up looking like a mini me, who will also be in white/ivory with multi coloured bouquet. Also been looking at putting the BM in a solid colour like grey or white/cream, but I feel this may get a bit confusing. I do like the idea of doubling up, and possibly matching the sashes with the shoes if I opt for the shorter prom style of frock.

I'm sure it will all be alright in the end, just quite difficult visualising it as all 'rainbow wedding' pictures have the full quota of colours. Oh well Smiley smile

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I was trying to describe!

Loving the rainbow weddingpics - think the really show it can be done!

• T
    Beginner June 2013
    Tinytootz ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, the overdoing it has been a concern of mine, but I'm hoping that can be avoided by avoiding anything multicoloured or striped, like that 'bad' picture posted above!

There will be 5 round tables and one top table, so we are still deciding between doing each table one colour, or each mixed. Everything will be purchased in the various colours anyway, so we will just have to try it out and see what we think.

I can see everything in my head, apart from the bridesmaids. I guess I will have to do some trial and error with it all Smiley smile

Thanks for your help and advice, greatly appreciated.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

RED

orange

YELLOW

green

BLUE

indigo

VIOLET

I would have the ones in CAPS as the dress colours and the ones in lower case as the accessories/sashes/shoes/flowers colours pick whcihever lowers case colour looks best with each dress and/or have a mixture ? ?

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE the rainbow butterflies wedding cake....it makes me want to get married again!!!!

I saw a photo of a rainbow wedding a few weeks ago but i cant remember where!!

They did have 1950's bridesmaids dresses and it looked really classy. You could give each bridesmaid a different coloured bouquet-eg- all green flowers , or all blue flowers....OOoo you could even have a different coloured sash as well....eg- have a red dress with an orange sash and a cerise bouquet...(not necessarily those colours but you get the idea lol)

its great that you are being a little bit different and not following a trend!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics