Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SingleNoMore
Beginner April 2013

Colouring water in vases - how?

SingleNoMore, 23 of January of 2013 at 14:11 Posted on Planning 0 14

After going to a black tie "do" for work last night the table centre pieces had coloured water in the vases and I quite liked it. Our centrepieces are artificial flowers in vases so it doesn't matter about the water so I'm considering colouring them, but how do you think I should go about this? Would food colouring be sufficient?

Has anyone done this before?

14 replies

Latest activity by SingleNoMore, 20 of March of 2013 at 12:00
  • Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fab, I googled it and it said food colouring but I'd be keen to know more. What colour was the water you saw?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I remember doing this as a child with food colouring, it changed the colour of the flowers too but I guess this doesn't matter if you are using artificial flowers..maybe have a play! Food colouring is always fun

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Every table had a different colour water! It was quite incredible, Our table was teal, but other tables were yellow and pink etc...! I'll get a photo from the company doing the bash and show you...

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Some flower experts may post help.And correct me

But beware if you are DIY-ing real flowers, as if they are left too long in the coloured water, too long (overnight) it can go cloudy and you only need that to happen slightly for the water to look horrid. I know because after seeing it at weddings I thought I would try it at home with red food dye it looked great to start with crystal clear bright red, but ended up looking like blood, and then I managed to flick it everywhere when I pulled the bunch out of the vase neck.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Yep, food colouring would work great and be super cheap!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Apologies that the photos are rubbish but hopefully you get the idea of what inspired me!....

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

This ai a dye used to colour the water available from most florists suppliers. We used purple here to tie in with the colour scheme:

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I managed to get hold of some purple water dye from a floristry supply store. We trialed it in the vases at the weekend and it looks amazing!

You only need the smallest amount though, and there’ll be tons left afterwards so I’ll be selling it on the Classifieds section after the wedding (along with a whole ton of other stuff including the tall vases!) If anyone is interested :-)

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I used floralytes instead of dye. They are small, submergable lights that sit in the base of the vase & light the whole thing up. They come in many colours & depending on the ones you choose, they are reusable.

Another option is using crystal accents. Its a powder you mix with water & forms jelly, like crystals. Depending on how much water you add, it can look like ice cubes in the water. It too comes in many colours. There are other sorts that form small, marble sizes balls.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

So glad of this thread, I want to do this too! Definitely gonna look into the florists dye now yay!!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HellsBells42 ·
    • Hide content

Food dye definitely works and I would imagine is cheaper than florist dye?

• Moschops
    Beginner March 2014
    Moschops ·
    • Hide content

Hi, another easy and very cheap way of colouring water is by using felt pens!

Grab yourself a load of cheap ones in whatever colours you need and remove the inside bit, peel off the plastic , that is the messy bit as it will get all over your hands so I'd wear gloves! and put the stick into the water swirl around for a bit and leave it untill you get the depth of colour that you want ?

This works really well, hope this helps ?

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Don't know how I missed this first time round but we will use this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purple-Water-Dye-Perfect-Weddings/dp/B004WKP0ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363777413&sr=8-1

Hope it helps

x

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

That's what I bought :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics