Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2011

Colours of wedding rings - are yours the same?

happycamper, 25 of January of 2011 at 20:31 Posted on Planning 0 27

We are WAY off the buying wedding rings stage, months away, but we have been browsing, as you do. ? I am leaning towards white gold, h2b is leaning towards yellow gold. But we both really like the idea of them matching.

So, what did you do, do yours match in colour? Or design? Or neither?

27 replies

Latest activity by raincloud, 30 of January of 2011 at 19:59
  • Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Both our wedding rings are platinum, my e-ring is platinum so I had a w-ring to match and H2B wanted platinum as well. The styles do not match as mine is shaped with diamonds to fit my e-ring whereas his is a 6mm polished plain band ?

• victoriamarie
    Beginner July 2011
    victoriamarie ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold and his platinum, more or less the same colour but mine is brighter. Not sure if I'd like his yellow gold as it wouldn't "match" but if he had his heart set on it I wouldn't mind.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Our both look silver, but his is palladium i think and mine is white gold. most important thing is that your happy when youre wearing them as you should wear them forever!

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold to match my ER but my other half ended up with titanium as the shinyness (new word!) of white gold looked really odd on him. I dont mind that they dont match, im soooo happy with our rings and we pick them up on Saturday....yay!!?

• M and M
    Rockstar August 2025 West Midlands
    M and M ·
    • Hide content

Hey

No ours dont!Mine is platinum but h2b is yellow gold but then h2b only ever has wore yellow gold and my engagement ring is platinum so i had platinum ring as it can wear gold down as its a heavier metal

I dont think it matters to much x

• xsammix
    Beginner February 2011
    xsammix ·
    • Hide content

Ours don't match.

OH has a plain yellow gold band (to match a chain that he wears) whereas mine is white gold to match my ER!

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

Ours are both white gold - although mine is 18 carat and OH's is 9 carat! I went with white gold to match my ER. I was happy for OH to get whatever he liked and suited him - but I'm really pleased they're the same. And they're both just absolutely plain bands.

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

Our's don't match! Mine is white gold to match my ER but his is rose gold. Mine always had to be white gold really to match, but he tried on all different metals & colours and rose just suits him so well...it's such a lovely colour.

I don't think it's an issue if they don't match, though totally understand people wanting theirs to match. If I didn't have a white gold ER I'd probably have liked a rose gold WR as well, but as it is we're happy with our choices (and they are stunning - so pretty! got them from weddingrings-direct.com and they are truly gorgeous). ?

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

Ares dnt mach oh is a big silver thing with a black dimond and mine is a 4mm yellow gold band

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My ER is platinum, our wedding rings are palladium, mine 3mm shaped with 3 twinkly diamonds, his is a plain 6mm band - so nothing matches!

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Mine's white gold and his is yellow, but they do match in style.

Check out smooch, you can easily have the same style but different colours there!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Ours do not match!

Mine is white gold, his is yellow gold. He wanted yellow gold because it is traditional, I wanted white gold as my ER is white gold. I thought he should have whatever he wanted as he is the one who will wear it for the rest of his life. I don't normally like gold, but his is 22carat and nice and dark, so I think it looks lovely.

We melted down old family heirlooms to make them, so we had different metals anyway.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold with full band of offset diamonds, H2B has had plain titanium band (bargain! he was not overly fussed about the type of metal - all the more budget to spend on my sparkly creation).

• Kalin
    Beginner May 2011
    Kalin ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

Ours dont match, ive gone for Gold and he has a titainium ring, H2B works in the print so we was told that gold would tarnish to easy, xx

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Well - originally we had white gold ones but I dnt like them so I got silver ones but they are the same and do match Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to see its not seen as wierd if they are not the same! Like several of you my ER is white gold, and I want to match it.

We will probably go for the same design, just different colours (and sizes!).

How did you decide what carat gold to get? I know more carats is more expensive, but that's all I know!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Ours don't match in style or colour/metals.

Mine's Palladium with 5 diamonds, my OH's is yellow Gold and a mix of brushed and polished.

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's pro's and con's with all the different carats. Basically, the higher the carat, the higher the gold content.

9ct white gold would be more hard wearing and scratch resistant BUT it can lose it's colour and take on that yellow tinge faster, which means you'll need to get it re-plated more often, which with most jewellers, means a lot of extra money further down the line. (Expect to pay £25-£50 each time you want a ring re-plating, unless it's a Smooch ring of course, then it's free ? )

18ct white gold has a higher percentage of gold, and would not need to be re-plated as often (although it will still need to be done every few years)

Platinum and palladium are naturally white in colour, so won't ever go yellow, or fade like white gold.

HTH x

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does that apply to yellow gold too, that 18 carat would get scratched more easily?

I think we're going to go into town and try some rings on nearer the time, just for colour and width, and see what suits us. We may go for custom made, but if we do it would be nice to go into the appointment knowing what colour we want, as it will save time.

?

• Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content

No I have white gold to match my engagement ring but Mr FB has a manual job so opted for titanium as it is harder wearing

• Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats expensive I only paid £15 to have my engagement ring re done before our wedding

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

Our dont match either.

Mine is white ring and OH's is rose gold.

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, but all jewellery metal will pick up little scratches. I'm not talking about great big noticeable marks, just day to day scratches, do you know what I mean? Plus and scratches and marks that are picked up, can be removed with a professional polish, so don't worry too much about it ?

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Well, you can polish your ring as often as you like with a jewellers cloth, just to keep your ring sparkling like new. If you're talking about a professional polish (one that will remove scratches), it's hard to say. It depends how much wear and tear your ring has to withstand, eg manual jobs, leaving your rings on when you do the washing up, things like that.

Palladium and platinum are harder metals though, so will withstand more than golds, and need professionally polishing less often.

You have to get white gold re-plated as over time it will lose it's white colour.

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Laura, isn't the re-plating etc more to do with the thickness of the rhodium plating than the gold carat?

Thanks in advance ?

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I wanted ours to match, but I am having platinum and h2b has picked one that is both yellow and white gold, with 3 diamonds in. So not what I thought he would choose, but he likes it so that's all that matters I guess.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Ours don't match at all. I have a plain yellow gold band which used to be his great grandmothers wedding ring - we are getting it shaped slightly so it will fit around my engagement ring. His is palladium and brushed - he doesn't wear jewellery so prob won't wear it much but just in case we he wanted a hard wearing metal as he is pretty active.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics