Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Combs or side tiaras - which side?

*Ducky*, 28 March, 2012 at 11:40 Posted on Planning 0 13

Are there any rules hairdresses like to follow?

The same side or opposite side as your parting?

And finally, I normally always hold OH's hand with my right hand. So that means my left side is more on-show to the world. Did how you stand together affect your choice of side?

I know this is completely trivial! But my comb looks nice both sides so wondered if there was a deciding factor you could come up with?

13 replies

Latest activity by RebeccaC, 29 March, 2012 at 13:19
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I was wondering this too so will hang around for the replies

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

ME too!!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mine will be on the right side of my head (which is the left if you were looking at me directly). This is because the detail of my dress is on the left hip so to balance it i'm wearing the detail of the headband on the right side. Which is actually where my side parting is as well now i think about it but, hadn't even considered that.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Usually side tiaras are worn on the left but there's no set rule, especially if you havedetail on the

Opposite side. When you are stood at the aisle your right hand side will be on show more. Sorry for formatting, on phone!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Yay! A deciding factor!

I'll go for left. My parting side, which I always feel looks worse than the sweeping fringe side, so the comb will make it prettier. It's also the side the is most on show when OH and I stand (and sleep!).

Ok it won't be on show at the alter, but we don't really have an alter anyway. Nor does my dress have detail on one side to mirror like DWC.

Thanks Lisa.

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

Ive wanted to know this.

So if more is on show on your right, when stood getting married, doesnt this mean more photos will be taken on this side, so you you wear on you right?! xx

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Well the way I picture it, is OH is normally on my right hand side. So when at the alter pictures are taken from the back of the church/room and so your right hand side is on show.

But then for other pictures after the ceremony, the front is then the view from the vicar/registrars position (imagine during the ceremony). Then my left hand side is on show as my right hand side is hold hangs/arms roun OH. I hope that makes sense!

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally fascinator's were worn on the right side of your head. The reason being is when you were out courting the gentleman would walk on the left side of you, and therefore you can see him & he can see you without a feather getting in the way! This is also how come fascinators came into fashion to over wide brimmed hats.

However nowadays it's down to people's preference. I always have mine on my right or where the parting in my hair is.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Jo I dont think there's any rule but if you have a look around on websites nearly all side tiaras areworn on the left and I do think this looks better. On my website there are a few on the right as the hairdresser had already done the hairstyle!!!!! (like my avatar)

Again sorry I can't see what I'm writing on my phone!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Sorry maybe not much help here as the majority of my customers wear their side tiaras/combs on their right hand side so the opposite from Lisa's customers. I personally would wear it on the right as well as my hair is really fine that having anything on the left where my parting is just doesn't look right.

At the photoshoots I've done the models wore them on the left but only due to it suiting their parting or fringe more.

In my wedding photographs I stood to the right of my H so a side tiara would have been covered up on the left.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I think I will be standing on the left at the front, dress embellishment is on the right and my parting is on the left so I guess side tiara on the left for me then as I want it to be visible.

I am confused, it will all come good in the end I am sure.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

The way I see it is some sit better one way round than the other and nothing judges that better than someone looking straight at you. Often at wedding fairs brides put them on then I switch them round and they sit better.

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

I agree - it's personal choice, it's all about what is best for you!!!

Interesting bit of history from Katie V - thanks, very interesting.

• RebeccaC
    RebeccaC ·
    • Hide content

Just thought it might also depend how your hair parts!!!! If you are having a style with a hair parting you may need to take that into account!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics