Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mrs toosh
Beginner December 2011

Commitment Ceremony

mrs toosh, 11 of August of 2011 at 23:47 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi ladies

I aint new to hitched i got married in 2005 but due to my husbands taste in clothes i had to divorce him....I met someone and we are having a commitment ceremony on new years eve......now the burning question is....has anyone else had one of these....I have several questions i need answered and i thought that this was the best place to start as i know you all so lovely.

Oh and its great to be back and does anyone know how to change user name....cos i am now the EX MRS TOOSH lol

thanks in advance

fi

xx

19 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 12 of August of 2011 at 21:04
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

What's a commitment ceremony? Not heard of that one before.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Care to elaborate?!

Last commitment ceremony I went to was just 2 people making solemn promises to each other, follwed by a handfasting.

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

A commitment ceremony is like a wedding without the legal bits....my partner is australian and we are having a commitment ceremony as we need to prove we are in a committed relationship before applying for a visa to get married.....and the reason i divorced my husband is his taste in clothes was a bit too priscilla queen of the desert for my liking! lol

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Not had a commitment ceremony but have heard of them, can't be much help but wanted to say welcome back!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Um, not sure this makes much sense...There is no barrier to you marrying an Australian man in this country. Your marriage is the basis for the visa application (for right to work or right to reside, you don't need a visa to get married?). I don't see the point of the commitment ceremony. Sorry to sound blunt but have you researched what is actually necessary for you to do this?

• abbijay
    Beginner October 2011
    abbijay ·
    • Hide content

I've not been to a commitment ceremony but it sounds very similar to a humanist wedding, which is basically a non legal ceremony (in England) and you can do it how you like.

I was recently celebrant (like the vicar or registrar) at a friends humanist wedding and they chose which bits they wanted and didn't. It was lovely because it was all special to them and they had a candle lighting ceremony. The humanist association of great britain have produced a book about humanist weddings which has some lovely ideas for this kind of ceremony.

PM me if you want to know more, I can send you a copy of the ceremony to give you the idea of how it can work.

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

We have to apply for a visa to get married as OH lives in Australia...we need the visa so he can live and work here....we have researched this in detail and have spoken to the border agency on several occasions both here and in melbourne....we wanted to do something this christmas when he flies home for christmas to make the few wks we will have together special....I have got a detailed list of what will happen during the ceremony but i am unsure of what to wear....if to have flowers or attendants etc...just wondered what other had done etc....We have got a few ideas but just thought this is the place to get help....thanks muchly x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on how you want to do it really, since there are no rules.

When you do eventually get married, will you want a traditional wedding, or would you like this to be more like the wedding (IYKWIM)?

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Hi NurseBride

Well hopefully when we get married next year it will be a church wedding....and i will be wearing white and having all the traditional things.....and that is the problem do i just treat this like a normal registry office wedding and get on with organising dresses and flowers etc....sort of a trial wedding.....i dont want to go the whole hog and then look silly on the day for going over the top!....OH I DONT KNOW...GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Shaun lives in Melbourne and i live in suffolk....we met over the net and have only spent 7 months actually together out of the 2 1/2 years we been a couple...immigration have said that we should do everything we can to prove that we are genuine about our relationship and we cant wait to get married we miss each other terribly and cant wait to show our love for each other infront of friends and family both here and out in oz.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Well this is odd.

I for one am more keen on seeing the ex husbands taste in clothes? Am imagining this;

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Mini.....you aint far wrong hun.....

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that serious?!!!! Have Lol-d (and I never Lol)

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Yep that is serious....found on my laptop along with several others....and details of his "sexual" behaviour!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Wow!

Sorry have no idea what to say to that?! Im guessing that was a bit of a shock?

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Yes you could say that....what would you say if ya found ya husband wearing your wedding dress? lol

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhh I can identify (ish) with your experience with your ex. The same scenario was the reason behind my mother's 3rd divorce! My ex-stepdad is now post-op and living life as a (albeit very tall and masculine-looking!) woman :-S

Anyway, as the others have said, I would definitely keep this low-key if you're having a full-on wedding next year. I'm surprised you need to have any kind of ceremony to *prove* that your relationship is genuine for immigration purposes though. Never heard of that before.

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much about a commitment ceremony but i did have a little chuckle about your ex husband..

I can sort of relate..

My mum was showing me photos on her phone the other day, showed me one of a girl and i was like how ugly is she lol.. Mum was like 'it's your brother' yepp great =/ My lovely big, strong and only brother... I think i'm the only normal one in my family lol..

Nothing as strange as folk so they say... lol

Fingers crossed you can get somthing sorted with the visa etc =)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would say "Oi dont stretch it!- I need that soon!"

ah well back to the original point keep it low key and you can change your username by emailing a fran@hitched.co.uk I think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics