Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rod
Beginner

complaint letter - New look

Rod, 19 March, 2012 at 12:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Can you please give me your opinion on this? Went so well last time i'm on a roll!

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to complain about the service I received on a recent visit to your store at XXXXXXXXXXXX (Removed in case anyone works there!) last Friday (16th March).

I work nearby and therefore visit the store regularly; I had previously purchased a top from the ‘Cameo Rose’ collection and was visiting to return it. The reason for the return was that I had worn the top and washed it, according to the care label instructions, in the washing machine at 40deg. When I took the top out of the machine, it was covered in holes and funny marks, as if it had been ironed too hot. Of course I was not happy with this and classed it as faulty. I followed the care instructions and therefore these holes were not there because of anything I had done. I took it back to New Look to request an exchange or refund. I loved the top and would have been more than happy with an exchange (and would have hand washed it from then on!)

I went to the counter and the girl serving me called over her supervisor / manger (I think her name was XXXX (removed in case she's on here!)or something similar) who looked over the top. She asked me if I had ironed it, to which I replied No, I just washed it and when I took it from the line to wear it, saw the holes. The lady then proceeded to, basically, tell me I was lying. She said ‘these are iron marks’ I told her, again, that I hadn’t ironed it. She then said ‘well you have, because these are iron marks. You have ironed it too hot’. I explained that I knew it looked that way, but I assured her I hadn’t ironed it. As I am sure you can understand I was not happy at being spoken to in this way.

Her attitude and general lack of customer service skills amazed me. As someone who has worked in retail and customer service roles most of my working life, I would have expected more courtesy as the customer. I do not appreciate being made to feel like a liar when simply trying to return a faulty garment that cost me £9.99.

In the end she said she would exchange it ‘as a goodwill gesture’ however the top was sold out and I ended up having to spend more money on a similar top, as she point blank refused to give me a refund.

The lady I dealt with was rude and disinterested, all in front of the other lady who was at the checkout, which is not something I would expect from someone who is clearly in a senior role in the shop. I was always lead to believe that in retail, the customer is always right. While I do not expect sales assistants to be subservient, I do expect a degree of respect and sociability from them.

I have always been a customer of New Look, however I now refuse to visit this particular store, purely because I am extremely unhappy with the way I was treated on this occasion. I will visit other stores but feel let down and angry at New Look for this incident.

I wanted to write about this as it seems to me that this lady could do with some extra training on how to deal with disgruntled customers and hopefully something can be done about this. I would also expect some sort of compensation for the way I have been treated.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Yours Sincerely,

October11

THANKS!

12 replies

Latest activity by Rod, 19 March, 2012 at 13:51
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Go you!

How rude of the woman to basically call you a liar!!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

I think that sounds just fine.

My sister had an issue with another high street retailer, It was fairly similar to your experience, the top had a huge hole in it and had basically started unravelling after one wear (she didn't catch it on anything) and the manager called her a liar and said she'd pulled it. The manager was also rude in this case, and wouldn't let her use their instore phone to call their head office, it was an premium rate call from a mobile and the waiting time to speak to somebody was 45 minutes ?. She emailed the chief executive of the company and got a full refund and £50 gift card.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

If you're not sure of her name consider including a description of her so that they "deal" with the right person

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

As someone who works in retail, I'm not sure I would send it written like that.

You've admitted that the top had marks on it similar to those of an iron that is too hot. That means you can't blame the sales assistant for thinking the same. I woud lose that part of the complaint and concentrate on the rudeness of the member of staff.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

Her name might be on the exchange receipt?

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a good point to be fair. Although I work on a Customer Service Desk, and if somebody came in with something for a refund and said they hadn't ironed it, even though it looked like it, we'd be told to take them at their word. I'm not sure if it works like that for all companies.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to say exactly this. Lose any mention of an iron in that particular bit, just describe it how you did to us when you originally posted.

You've also written "manger" rather than "manager" in the bit about the sales assistant calling the manager.

Good luck!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the sanity check! I will remove the bit about it looking like it had iron marks on it and leave it that it had holes in it.

and will change Manger to Manager! I type too fast for my brain!

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

You need to say the lady was rude and uninterested, not disinterested. Disinterested means impartial, whereas uninterested means she couldn't care less, which is what you're wanting to say.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Thanks...will change that.

• Moschops
    Beginner March 2014
    Moschops ·
    • Hide content

I would also leave out the bit about you still being happy to visit other stores and also the you wanting to write to them and the bit that says 'hopefully something can be done'.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Noted ta!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics