Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2012

Compromise - Religious and non-religious wedding - HELP

Augustbride83, 14 of February of 2012 at 21:57 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi everyone, I have a small problem, any suggestions welcome.

My fiance is not religious and has a problem with getting married in a church and the references to God. My family however are disappointed and a bit upset at the idea of us not getting married "in the eyes of God." I also would like to have some sort of religious aspect to the wedding.

We also want to have a non-church wedding, as we have fallen in love with a different venue, which means it will be a civil ceremony. Because of logistical problems it would be ideal to have a blessing from a minister at the venue after the wedding, but I'm not sure if I will find someone who will do this. Or I could ask for a blessing at a nearby church, but this means a lot of travelling around for my guests, and it would be best to do both on the same day.

The other option is to try to persuade my fiance to marry me in a church with a ceremony that is not too religious for him, but I would love to get married at this other venue.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a compromise? I believe we are not allowed to make the civil ceremony religious at all, am I right? No religious reading or hymn? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Thank you!!

2 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldCars759, 21 of February of 2017 at 18:52
  • Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

It's hard to advise without knowing you or your fiance but something you should think about is why you want a religious aspect to your wedding. Is it just to keep your family happy or is it something that is important to you? You don't need to answer here but if it is important to you then you should talk to your fiance about it more and explain why it is important. It will be easier to work something out if he really understands how important it is to you. If you have to compromise on your wedding then you'll may have to compromise on how your bring up your children (if you have any of course!) and it's better to talk these things out before it becomes an issue.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine was married at the registry office one day, where she wore just a normal dress and there was only the immediate family present (think there were 6 of them in the room altogether) and then had her ceremony in her husband's marine corps chapel the day after, this is the one she wore her dress to and treated as her wedding day. As Frandy says it is hard to offer ideas without really knowing you but could you do it the other way round? Married in a church with immediate family before and then onto your wedding at the venue you have found.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyGoldCars759 ·
    • Hide content

I currently have the exact same dilemma- I want to know if I can have a religious ceremony in a non-church venue with the registrar in a side room, like one would in a church wedding

Any insight/ experience greatly appreciated!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics