Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2024 Dorset

Concerns about wedding in 5 months

Rosie, 21 of January of 2024 at 18:39 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hello, I am due to be married in June but my fiancé and I recently are clashing so much. He lost his job and is desperately trying to find something else. Also worried about the actual day; two halves of his family do not get on at all. One side has been saying he's looking forward to having words with the other side which we know will not go down well! I love my fiancé dearly but just feeling very stressed about the whole situation; wondering firstly whether to postpone or get married in the first place but have no idea what we would tell our guests as save the dates have already been sent. If we do get married I'm wondering if anyone has much knowledge of prenups? Also, has anyone had experience of inviting two sides of families who don't get on at all? We want to invite both sides as they will get very offended if not invited! Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated!

5 replies

Latest activity by Rosie, 23 of January of 2024 at 23:44
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I’m so sorry your fiance has lost his job! This will be something that will affect him Ofcourse. Is it his job loss affecting you both or is there more? It will be a stressful time no matter what as he’ll want money to help pay towards etc. Have a good chat about how you’re both feeling and you may find it easier to post pone.. regarding the comment made from a family member tell them none of that will be welcome at your wedding and if it is they will simply be removed. OR in the nicest possible way, don’t invite them. Raise your concerns and say you would rather them not be there due to their comment. My knowledge on pre nups are that they can last forever or you can protect certain assets or they can expire after a certain amount of time. I’ve never looked Into it tbh as what me and my fiance have we built together. I wouldn’t just throw this on your fiance though. Raise your concerns etc as you want your chat to be as calm and understanding as possible. Good luck and I really hope you feel more relaxed soon!
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with this post. It sounds like you're going through such a stressful time so might be easier to postpone or dramatically reduce the wedding to a handful of guests and have a big celebration later down the line once your hubby has a job and things calm down. That resolved the issue of the warring sides of the family too
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you are having doubts or concerns about getting married, please make sure these are resolved before the wedding day. While the job loss is likely to be causing a lot of stress, you are going to encounter other stressful situations in future, so you need either to work out how to manage these situations better now or else accept that you need to postpone the wedding. Whatever you do, don't just plough on with the wedding in the hope that everything will get better after, because it won't. (Or if it does, it will only last until the next big stress comes along)

Every couple experiences difficult situations, so in a way, it's good that this has cropped up now, since it gives you the opportunity to work out how you deal with it before you are legally committed to each other. If you haven't already had any pre-marriage counselling/marriage prep, I'd really encourage you to do some. We did a great course that covered issues like finance, dealing with disagreement, families etc and it helped us avoid a lot of conflict and also gave us tools to work through our differences when we did disagree.

Regarding postponing the wedding, your OH job loss would give you the perfect excuse. If you do decide to go ahead, maybe look at how you can cut back on expenses.

As for the warring family members, I would deal with that now. Make it clear that you expect all your guests to behave civilly to each other at your wedding regardless of their feelings in private life, and that if they are not able to do this, then you do not want them to attend. And sit them as far away from each other as possible at the reception! If you don't trust them to behave themselves even after you have spoken to them, then don't invite them. While this may cause hurt feelings, them starting a major argument at your wedding is also going to cause hurt feelings as well as wrecking the day for you and everyone else.

• R
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your advice and kind words Smiley smile Xx
  • R
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your advice Smiley smile xx