Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buttons
Beginner August 2006

Condensation ruining window sill

Buttons, 17 of November of 2008 at 11:52 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

We have wooden window sills and live in a fairly cold house resulting in wet windows (condensation) and stains on the window sills. If that isn't bad enough we've started noticing mould right in the corners on the white sealant (sp?) and on the wood. We varnished the windows not long after they were put in (couple of years ago), but there are now water marks on the window sills. Is there anything we can do to fix this and stop it from happening in the future?

Buttons x

15 replies

Latest activity by Doris, 9 of May of 2024 at 14:34
  • Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

We've got wooden windows and window sills and we get a fair bit of condensation but only in certain rooms.

Do you have curtains or blinds at that particular window? We have roman blinds on all our windows so when I close them at night, I tend to leave quite a big gap at the bottom so the air can circulate rather than pulling them completely down. I always open all the windows as soon as I get up and don't close them until the condensation has completely vanished. And I also mop up any water so there's none "standing" around on the sills all day.

Other than that, it's just a fact of life with wooden windows and I don't think there's an awful lot you can do other than strip them and repaint them. We had all of our exterior windows stripped and painted earlier this year.

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

Its not the house being cold that is causing the problem so much as the water in the atmosphere. Water will always condense on the coldest surface - stop that being the window and it will be an outside wall or something. You need to stop the air being so damp. Do you know why the air is damp? Do you dry clothes inside, for example. Make sure you open windows after a shower, in the bedroom overnight, while cooking, put lids on pans when boiling, etc.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

I used to get it in my student house

the best thing that cleared it was buying on of those plastic box things from wilkos, that you put the water absorbing crystals into. okay, it doesn't look very attractive on your windowsill but it works

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yep. house should be warmer, with adequate ventilation. has the roof been replaced? can it "breathe"? ie is the felt correct, and are there air ducts in the roof? how old is the roof if it hasnt been replaced?

• DDiva
    Beginner August 2009
    DDiva ·
    • Hide content

We have a dehumidifier we put on after a bath, when drying clothes or when we get condensation (usually in the mornings). It draws out the water from thin air and you'd be suprised how much !

ps you can get them in argos etc

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

is there a specific reason you cant just open a window?

• Missus Jolly
    Beginner October 2004
    Missus Jolly ·
    • Hide content

We keep our windows open very regularly, never dry washing on our radiators, and always have windows open for baths / cooking etc, but still need a dehumidifier in the winter. Our dehunidifier is an EBAC one which only comes on when the humidity goes over a preset level. It is brillaint and I think that we save a little on heating bills because the air is so much warmer.

• M
    Mint Spies ·
    • Hide content

We had this problem too and have also had to resort to a dehumidifier, mostly because we live in a ground floor flat and leaving windows open whilst we're at work is a significant security risk. However, it has made a real difference, particularly in the spare room where we dry wet washing. Knowing now how effective it is, I wish we'd bought one sooner - it really does make a huge difference.

• Kitty
    Beginner December 2003
    Kitty ·
    • Hide content

You could put a bowl of salt on the window sill. That will help to absorb the moisture

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

probably negated by the cost of electricity for the DH. they using an alarming amount of juice.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to get one, but now won't because of that comment!

I am ground floor and only have big windows, no small ones and i get dreadful condensation. I am getting top notch double glazing fitted next week (hopefully) with small openings as well as big so it will stop. I am fed up of mopping my windows every morning!!

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FIL bought one when they moved into a first floor (brand new) apartment and put it in the spare room where they hang their washing on an airer. They open the window slightly but also use the dehumidifier, and he says that it's extremely economical to run. He's an engineer by trade, and very meticulous about everything, including watching bills and running costs (he logs everything), so he knows exactly how much it costs to run. Also he's a pensioner (81), so is very mindful of every penny.

I too have condensation issues at my rented properties. One of them I used to live in and never had a condensation issue at all, but you can't stop tenants drying clothes on the radiators (it's in the contract, and I've asked them time and time again, but not actually living there I can't see or stop them doing it). The key is to keep the windows open in the kitchen and bathroom when steam is present, and the doors shut so it doesn't escape to the rest of the house. Keep the doors to the other rooms open as much as possible, and the windows open for ventilation (it doesn't have to be wide open, just enough to circulate the air). Get vents in the roof if necessary (I'm in the process of doing that in one house, as well as vents in the kitchen and bathroom) and generally keep the moisture in the house to a minimum.

There are plenty of websites about condensation that will give the same advice. I know. I've read them all!

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your help Peaches ?

This is where I have been going wrong - I shower with the window open slightly, but also leave the bathroom door open to let the steam out - I now know this is a mistake ?

The windows I am getting have locks on them which means you can have the window open slightly and it still be locked. V handy when drying clothes ?

• Buttons
    Beginner August 2006
    Buttons ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies.

I was going to buy a dehumidifer too, but am re-thinking this now. It is difficult to have windows open when it is so cold here, but will try to, especially when having a shower/bath. We do dry clothes in our livingroom on a clothes horse in front of the storage heater, unfortunately at this time of year we have no other option to dry clothes this way.

I'll give opening the windows for a bit a try and maybe the salt idea too.

Buttons x

• C
    Co Londonderry
    Cutlerdyran ·
    • Hide content

Hi all. I have a question for those who, from personal experience, are familiar with dormer windows. I want to install them in my house, but I don’t know if it’s worth it, won’t there be problems with them, such as condensation or some other problems?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics