Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

skyrocket
Beginner July 2012

Confetti and venue

skyrocket, 25 April, 2011 at 10:38 Posted on Planning 0 23

When we got home from our break last night I noticed our venue contract had come so I scanned through it and saw that they don't allow confetti (and there is a £200 charge if anyone throws it). I was hoping to get some dried rose petals as confetti but do you think its likely they will allow that as it biodegrades? Smiley sad I don't want to pay £200!!

xxx

23 replies

Latest activity by greenleaf, 6 May, 2011 at 14:26
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, that's a shame! You can always email/ring them and ask if you can use biodegradable stuff, or if there is an area in the grounds where they will let you use it without charging £200.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Bubbles is a great idea!

I hate it when venues say "no confetti", confetti is part and parcel of a wedding ceremony IMO. Don't be a wedding venue (and charge handsomely for it) if you don't want confetti thrown.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Bubbles are becoming more popular.

Usually if they say no Confetti at the venue it is usually because of the mjess it makes & noone wants to clear it up!

Ask if you can use real petals.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too - I can see it from their point of view in that it makes a mess for a while but it seems that more and more traditions seem to be falling by the wayside and confetti should be thrown at weddings and I'm with Knitting_Vixen, it should be expected if you run a wedding venue. We couldn't throw it at our daughter's wedding because the venue was on moorland with sheep. I thought it was a shame but she didn't mind because she'd never been to a wedding where it's been thrown so didn't know any different really.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Bubbles are a great idea but I had my heart set on real rose petals in cones. I don't want to pay £200 but at the same time I'm gutted because we are hiring the venue exclusively and it seems petty to not let us have confetti. The town in France we have just been to had a festival while we were there and the WHOLE town was covered in confetti (biodegradable) and it soon disappeared. I understand the venues point but we are paying a lot of money to them and IMHO confetti is a part of that

xxxx

ps its nice to feel supported on here! I think my fiance thinks I've lost the plot being upset by no confetti! ?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it does make a mess, but weddings are messy anyway. The venue employ cleaners to clean up after the guests. They should factor in confetti-throwing as part of the cleaning. Most venues are very expensive, I am sure they can afford to clean up the confetti.

I have found that the cheaper venues are the ones who do not mind confetti being thrown! I am getting married at a register office and when I asked if guests would be allowed to throw confetti, the registrar looked at me like I was mad (in the sense of, "of course they can throw confetti"). It's costing us around £100 to get married there (and it's a lovely RG with a nice garden in a quiet tree-lined street).

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Skyrocket- am I to assume that you are getting married and having the reception at the same venue?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, ours is a register office too and again I was looked at like I was mad when I asked about confetti! I've got the biodegradable stuff anyway but the lady laughed when I asked if it HAD to be biodegradable and said we could have whatever we want, even foil confetti if that was what we wanted. It would get swept up and binned afterwards.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Some of the reasoning behind the no confetti rule is to avoid having previous weddings confetti at anothers wedding. Some popular venues have a real problem with confetti building up, particularly in garden areas where clearing it is nigh on impossible. I know of one car company who have over 40 cars who have reported very unhappy brides if a petal from a previous wedding remains anywhere on the car.....which is another thing....If you have wet weather, the car company will ask you to keep confetti well away from the vehicles as the colour can often stain the paintwork.(and your dress, so do beware)

Naturally, as a tog I love the confetti shot, although bubbles can be great too....although do ensure that the people are upwind or else their blowing will only get them and not you......

Peter

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

KnittingVixen - yes we are having both service (or whatever its called when its a registrar) and reception at the same place.

Its both inside and out that we aren't allowed confetti. Smiley sad

xxx

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

UPDATE!!

So I emailed the venue and said that seeing as we were paying so much for the venue I thought it a little petty we couldn't have confetti and I had hoped to supply fresh rose petals in cones to my guests...they emailed back this afternoon to say that we could throw fresh rose petals in a specified area of the gardens. So thats a fantastic compromise for me and I am happy!!

I know its a small detail and minute in the Grand World Scheme etc but I had my heart set on it and am thrilled that we could come to a solution!

xxxx

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Good on you!

I really don't think anyone can object to rose petals. They are biodegradable!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Glad they said yes!

Our church said that we could use biodegrable confetti in the gardens but not directly outside the big wooden church doors.

This was because the huge church basically acts like a wind tunnel and sucks all the confetti inside, which not only is a pain to clear up as it gets everywhere but there isn't really anyone to do it other than volunteers who have enough to do! This is particularly for other weddings (feels a bit like a conveyer belt if you can see leftovers from the wedding before you) and also out of consideration for funerals if held after a wedding.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fair enough if they are worried about it being blown into the church.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind seeing confetti from previous weddings? I quite like it! I think, "ooh, how nice, there was another wedding here earlier" (particularly as we are marrying at a registry office).

I also think that if I was going to a funeral I would have other things on my mind than looking around on the ground for stray bits of confetti. I used to go to chuch (when I was a child/teenager) and I liked it if I saw left over confetti. It would make me smile.

I think that for some reason, I really love confetti. Particularly the old-school paper confetti. Reminds me of my childhood.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!

Knitting Vixen I really like confetti too but was worried about it staining my dress etc if it rained (and we aren't allowed actual confetti anyway! Just rose petals!) and I wouldn't mind if I saw someone elses confetti. I am not deluded enough to think I am going to be the only bride on the planet on that particular week! ?

xxx

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, no, I wasn't trying to say that I didn't like rose petals! I love roses and their petals and think they are a beautiful confetti. I mentioned it cos paper's my fave!

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha I honestly never thought for one second you meant that!! ?

I like all sorts of confetti but I knew they would never let me have paper confetti when I saw the contract so tried to head them off at the pass! Smiley winking Also my little girl has got it into her head she is throwing flowers! lol!

xxxx

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Yey! Good result ?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Glad you got it sorted Hun.

Your post got me thinking and I rang our venue today.

Luckily they don't mind confetti, , ,

xx

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

If it is the venue im thinking off.

I imaging they will ask you to head off to the left hand side or right hand side of the gardens - but to be perfectly honest the best place is off to the left anyways where there are some steps down in to a woodland area. that way people can gather around properly and you can get a nice covering.

I believe they dont allow becuase of the walk way area is stones and they have in the past had a problem with the confetti getting built up with in the graveled area and it not looking very nice for the next wedding.

Im glad you have reached an acceptable solution with the venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics