Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner May 2016

Confetti confusion

Tidal Wave, 26 of April of 2016 at 11:44 Posted on Planning 0 27

We were sorting out some logistics last night, and we've been told that we can have confetti at the church but that it can't blow into the church, brilliant. However do we need to supply the confetti, or do guests bring some? If we can escape an extra expense that'd be great but do people think about buying confetti these days, and do we run the risk of one elderly aunt being the only one who brought some if we don't buy it.

What have you done? Or planning on doing?

27 replies

Latest activity by Tidal Wave, 29 of April of 2016 at 13:18
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on how important the "confetti shot" is to you. We really want that shot so are buying confetti to make sure we get it. In terms of cost, it hasn't been very expensive as we bought it from eBay and I'm bagging it up myself so everyone should get a small handful. We're putting it in with the order of service which will be one between two so it doesn't get forgotten.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I don't honestly know!

I think maybe you supply it? And guests can opt to bring extra?

If you're having Flower Girls, perhaps they could stand either side of the exit outside with confetti baskets? Then guests can grab a tube ready? Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Im not really planning on using any but I did consider making some for if people want it, you only need a hole punch and there are lots of interesting shaped punches at hobbie shops from about £4

• NorthernLights
    Beginner November 2017
    NorthernLights ·
    • Hide content

I might have a Confetti Conclusion to your Confetti Confusion!
    No, not really, I just really wanted to say that haha! ?
    Have you got flowers in your garden? If so, why dont you pick off the petals and let them dry - Dried petals make for gorgeous confetti!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I have only seen supplied confetti.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree with this. It is important to me, so we're supplying our own. I don't think anyone brings their own confetti anymore because many places don't allow it or it has to be biodegradable.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

For some reason it is actually really important, that's good to know that it's not too pricey - can I steal the idea of putting them in the order of service as that's a fantastic idea.

Unfortunately no little people, and couldn't ask the nephews either.

Making it didn't occur to me at all, but will definitely cross price it, thank you.

Haha, it is nice alliteration. No flowers we like them but are surprisingly good at killing all flowers Smiley sad

That is really cute that they're excited by it.

Oh that's a good point about the stipulations and what type.

Thank you very much everyone ?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Go for it - I only stole it off Pinterest ?

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

When I told Mr C and my mum that I'd factored confetti into the budget they looked at me like I was crazy! Apparently it's well-known that guests bring their own confetti to weddings. Well, it wasn't to me!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's a new thing but I've never been to a wedding where confetti was provided. Except my own lol. My guest couldn't find biodegradable confetti in Spain and that's what we had to have so I bought it for her.

I remember it was always the boxes of multi coloured stuff. I'm showing my age now. So maybe with the choices nowadays of etals and dried and colours it's more normal brides provide to have what they want.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I think a lot of people forget to take confetti - or maybe that is only me, I always forget! So I'm going to provide my own to make sure we get the confetti shot, but I'm undecided whether to put it in the order of service or have cones by the exit and get my bridesmaids to hand them out. There are lots of ideas how to present it on pinterest though

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Once upon a time there was no "confetti shot" - what would happen is that there was confetti thrown and the photographer would get a shot of it, now it is the other way around in that the confetti is thrown FOR a photo.

Go back a few years before you were allowed to get married in a manor house/ stately home and auntie and granny (and everyone else ) would get some paper confetti from the newsagent during the the weekly shop and throw that.

Then stately homes were allowed to hold weddings and the paper stuff was still being thrown - which the owners of the homes started to see that it stayed around for months and looked a mess on the gravel driveway and lawns, really they would rather you did not throw it -full stop !. So then they started saying ok so long as it is bio degradable (which paper is ) but never mind.

So that then gave rise to petal and dried flower confetti requests (insists) from the venues BUT auntie cannot get this from the newsagents and it isnt cheep so in order to make sure that the correct type of confetti is used the bride and grooms started to supply it themselves which leads us to where we are today that it has almost become the norm for couples to supply the confetti whether it is dried flowers or normal paper hearts from the news agents.

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I've never taken confetti to a wedding. Actually I've never been to a wedding where confetti was thrown at all. If the couple wanted this, I imagine they'd have to provide the confetti or it wouldn't happen (unless the guests were asked in advance to come prepared).

I've been to a wedding where blowing bubbles were placed on each chair and we were asked to blow bubbles as the bride and groom walked down the aisle.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Every wedding I've ever been to, it has been bring your own. I rarely see any younger people throwing it as it appears to be a generational thing for 40+ year old people.

I do like the confetti shot to some extent as the couple always look happy and it can be really pretty if caught at the right angle.

As an aside, does anyone know the story behind throwing confetti? It seems an old thing to do if you think about it. Im going to guess its to ward off evil spirits and comes from Roman times or something.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

it is italian... confetti is the actual name of sugared almonds, commonly used as favors in recent history but originally the nuts (and sometimes seeds) where thrown at couples as a fertility gesture

in modern times people stopped throwing them apparently for a few reasons (I imagine being pelted with almonds hurts + it attracts birds) and started serving the nuts as 'gifts' in a nod to tradition

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like it. Congratulations, I'm now going to chuck some nuts at you. I dont know why but I did a whole comedy sketch were some inept person threw a coconut at a couple and it hit her on the head knocking her out in a true comedy style. I then started laughing at the thought.

Im glad people now use paper, much safer.

• Hide content

At least in the uk as far as I know the the confetti tradition is rice - prosperity (food growing ) and seeds fertility.

Some people still do throw rice.

Actually rice and seeds should be acceptable to venues as it is perfectly bio degradable.

My advice would be to avoid the small "bitty" type like dried lavender because being small it finds its way EVERYWHERE and will itch, and doesn't look so good on the photo.

I have a page of confetti and ideas here the last photo is the stuff to avoid

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought you werent allowed to throw rice anymore?

like the seeds and nuts before it, it attracts birds (mainly hardy birds that can eat uncooked rice like pigeons and seagull, most smaller less nuicance birds can only eat cooked rice) and with that comes lots of noise and bird mess which venues dont really want (I imagine nobody wants their wedding or venue becoming a sceen from 'the birds')

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the confetti reasoning I too was interested in the origins. That was why I was confused as I can only see my aunt bringing it, none of the younger guests.

Thank you for the confetti story Bill, really enjoyed reading that! Also for the confetti article, very good read!

Yeah the multi coloured random shaped stuff is the only image I get when I think of confetti.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

But that still wont stop Auntie (why are we picking on Auntie ) throwing it.

If you REALLY want to upset your venue - use the plastic shiny tinfoil stuff, even though it is also bio degradable, it just takes a little longer thats all-------- about 200 years longer !

• Hide content

No you don't need one for each guest (unless you have 20 guests ) half the guest amount will be enough and if you have 100 guests then 30 or 40 lots will do. Which for the photo is about all you can gather around anyway, also there is always people who are not too fussed about getting involved in the throwing.

And the amount in each cone (for example )that I usually see is more than enough to give some to the person next to you, unless you want to reload and have another shot and go for the face this time ? which also answers the "too much question"- have another shot !

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

We are going to supply our own confetti as we can only use fresh or freeze dried petals at our venue. I was going to include on the info sheet in the invitations that confetti will be provided, in order to stop people wasting their money if they wanted to buy some of the traditional type.

We have 100 day guests and I was going to provide around 30-35 cones as we are having bubbles too x

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    LuxuriousGreenFlowers606 ·
    • Hide content

If you can I think a small-ish amount of real stuff is better than the paper version, but horses for courses! ?

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

Maybe for safe, you can prepare it by yourself.

you can search on some website, like etsy, wallao, partycity (if i'm not wrong)

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't permit confetti. I didn't want bubbles getting on my dress, so I have made ribbon wands instead! Im hoping to get a picture similar to the image below...

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

What a fantastic idea! Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow, that is really simple but very very pretty - I'm sure will look brilliant in the photos too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics