Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R

Confused about calories in Supernoodles!

Ruby 2, 26 of August of 2008 at 17:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I have a packet of Supernoodles in the house [yes yes, i know, food crime etc etc] and i'm really confused about the calorie content.

It says that per 100g 'as served' there are 176 calories, and 7.9g of fat.

BUT, it also says that 'per half pack serving' [a pack is 100g, so a half pack serving would presumably be 50g] there are 263 calories, and 11.8g of fat. So, if you had the whole 100g pack [which seems like a lunch type of amount], you'd be having 263 calories x 2, and 11.8g of fat x 2, so 526 calories and 23.6g fat!

a) This seems like a huge amount of calories to be in Supernoodles - aren't they just carbs? What are they adding to them?

b) How can they say on the same packet that there are either 176 calories or 526 calories per 100g? It doesn't make sense, and i'm normally quite good as working out packet trickery.

Can anyone shed any light? Are Supernoodles not only a bit dirty, but also massively fattening?

thanks!

11 replies

Latest activity by A-free-elf, 10 of February of 2021 at 01:12
  • K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it'll be the "as served" bit. If you make the noodles up (adding loads of hot water?), then there will be more than 100g

so I think this is right.

• R
    Ruby 2 ·
    • Hide content

Oh right, i understand. Sorry, that was a bit thick. But christ! what is adding all those calories? [apart from filth]

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

It does sound like a huge amount. Step away from the lardy supernoodles ? Although it also seems strange that a pack would weigh 100g dry. I'd imagine it was less than that. Especially once the packaging is removed.

• P
    Beginner September 2004
    pudontour ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

IIRC I think they deep fry them at some point during the production process. However, I have no real idea where I heard that or how true it is! So I could well be wrong.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I've nothing to add, but I saw the title, saw Sophie had replied and couldn't stop myself from having a nose at what she was going to say on the subject of supernoodles. ? As you were.

• R
    Ruby 2 ·
    • Hide content

Well, yes, the filth part was a given. I was just utterly amazed at the lardiness of the lardy part!

Step away from the Supernoodles indeed...?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? What were you expecting?

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You were surprisingly contained actually.

• G
    Beginner December 2020 Greater Manchester
    Gabriella ·
    • Hide content
    Omg I honestly emailed them once because I was so confused and they were still no help. They tried to make out that when adding water it changes the calories??? Confused about calories in Supernoodles! 1

• A
    Beginner September 2017
    A-free-elf ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They didn't explain very well. Adding the water doesn't change the calories, it changes the weight. The 100g at 176 calories is when the noodles are cooked and have absorbed all the water. To make 100g of cooked noodles, you need to start with a much lower weight of dry noodles which will be only a tiny portion of the packet. Hope this helps make sense.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics