Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2011

Consultation Fees

Sawah, 6 October, 2010 at 12:43 Posted on Planning 0 15

Ive just phoned a florist and just to go and have a look at some flowers they charge a £30 consultation fee Smiley surprise Im shocked at this. Is this normal?

15 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 7 October, 2010 at 13:16
  • BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

A fee just to look at some flowers? Hmm I can see that if she's gonna go through a ton of stuff with you and use alot of time then maybe that's why but personally I would look for someone with free consults and quotes! But then I highly doubt I'll be having any make up or hair trials before my big day that cost anything, prices are ridiculous!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

What does the consultation actually consist of?

If it's "sit down and tell me what you'd like and I'll have a think about it" then I'd tell them to go whistle, personally.

If they actually prepare some displays based on what you've told them for colours/preferences etc then I guess it's fair enough to cover their costs.

We haven't got flowers sorted yet so haven't been to any florists to tell if it's normal or not...

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I agree with AJDown - I'd want to see something mocked up for a consultation fee.

Our florist was with us an hour and half, and mocked up centrepieces and didn't charge us any fees for that.

I would look at another florist if it were me.

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry, but I'd tell them to go whistle! Weddings are expensive enough without suppliers putting in for every single penny that they can.

Spending time listening to a client to get an idea of what they want and putting together a quote for them, is all part and parcel of being in business. I'd politely tell her to stick it and make sure I point out exactly why!

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

I dont know what its for to be honest but we are on a tight enough budget as it is so cant be paying for consultations so will be giving that florist a wide birth

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is it worth asking them what the cost is for? If, apart from this, you like their work it does seem silly to discount them on what might turn out to be a perfectly legitimate reason which you agree with for having the cost.

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

Im still very undecided whether to have fresh or silk so i dont want to pay £30 to decide to go with silk. Will just have to see what other florists have to offer x

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

This might sound harsh, but even if the consultation includes putting together a mock-up I wouldn't pay for it. (If I was a florist I wouldn't allow people to take pcitures of any mock-ups I made though).

I visit couple's houses to discuss their Wedding Photography, in some cases I'm there for 2-3 hours. I wouldn't dream of asking them to pay for it!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The photographer we're using says he will visit you and the venue - wherever they are - for a total of 2 visits in the run up to your big day. I assume that this is factored into his pricing in some way but as he's based in Portsmouth and we're in London (using a New Forest venue) he didn't seem to object to coming up to London at all, although to be honest we'll probably meet with him at the hotel when we're on one of our visits there and let him see the venue and figure out what he thinks we can get to best advantage of it.

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

I do know of one florist who charges a consultation fee, personally I think it's a bit cheeky! I guess it could be a bit of a sales ploy, they could offer to waive the fee to make them seem more attractive, or take the consultation fee off your bill if you decide to book. There are plenty out there who won't charge you for a consultation!

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! My florist! Her name is Mara and she is amazing! No fees or hassle and her vision is simply AMAZING!

Her company is Silk Blooms and if and when you decide on Silk Flowers, i'd highly reccommend her! Smiley smile

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

If it's to make up mock ups for you to take away that's the only reason I think a consultation fee would be acceptable.

I do home consultations with my customers and I can sometimes travel for 45 mins to them, spend 3 hours with them and do various mock ups there and then and I don't charge anything and never once considered that.

She is taking the mickey I think!

If you are looking for silk flowers we have some fab silk florists on here and I can't recommend Brenda from Rainbow Flowers enough as she made me a gorgeous window display to echo my wedding bouquet which had been made with real flowers.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

If I charged for the hours I spent on consulatations I would be a millionaire! Never have charged I don't see how you can justify it to be honest.

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

I have heard this before there are some round me that do it and if you book with them then the fee is deducted from the invoice.

So in effect you only pay for the consultation if they don't ultimately get the order so it pays for the time a member of staff has spent with you.

Personally I don't charge but I don't have staff costs either.

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We spoke to one florist who asked for a consultation fee, needless to say we didn't bother going to see them! Everybody else we spoke to met us for free. I can't see how the cost can be justified for a first meeting, when you have no idea if you're going to get on or "get" each other's way of thinking yet.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I do know florists who charge but it is a proper consultation i.e, you are taken to an office and shown their portfolio, have designs and colours discussed, estimates/quotes drawn up, ideas exchanged etc which normally lasts around one/one and a half hours. The fee is almost always deducted from the final invoice. The reason some florists do this is (and I quote - this is not my personal view!) is "to deter timewasters" i.e., people who have no intention of having a florist do the work for them but actually are trying to pick the brains of the florist to see how things are done so that they can either do their own or get someone else to do them. I do often say this on here but once again, in business, time is money. If you called someone out to look at a broken car or washing machine, you would expect a call out charge even if they couldn't fix it - pretty much the same thing really with all tradespeople including some florists! For me personally, I do offer consultations for local Brides and I don't charge for this. I do the same - sit down with them and discuss every detail of the wedding, colour schemes, flowers, designs, budget, ideas, show them my portfolio, show them photos of real brides, and show them some flowers so they can see the quality. I spend roughly the same amount of time, around 1 and a half hours, with no obligation to book. Everything is covered in great detail so there really is no need for a second consultation. If, however, a Bride required a second consultation (I've only ever had this a couple of times in 9 years) then I do charge £5 per hour which is less than minimum wage Smiley winking

On odd occasions I have had personal consultations for things, I've been quite happy to pay a fee because I know I will be given 100% attention during that time rather than people wandering off to answer the phone or deal with customers whilst I was sat there so I suppose it's a personal choice really.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics