Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cookiekat
Beginner August 2012

Contraception - Depo to Coil

cookiekat, 1 October, 2012 at 20:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

So the Dr and I worked out Ive been on Depo injections for just under 17 years. We talked it through and I have agreed to change to mirena coil.

Has anyone else gone from Depo to Coil? I know coil can cause depression in some due to high progesterone but depo is even higher progesterone so it will actually be a reduction in hormones for me so I think that will be good!

The lovely ladies on FB forum are scaring me with talks of lots of pain and cramping - did everyone get this?

7 replies

Latest activity by Tiny-Tiggs, 1 October, 2012 at 22:14
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Since having a coil (2nd in over 9 years ago) my periods are 28 days exactly and period pains are a thing of the past. In fact ovulation is more painful for me.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

I had the coil inserted really (copper one though as I don't want hormones). Insertion was really painful, no lie (apparently women who've had a child have a much easier time of it - explains discrepancies in experiences). What I wasn't prepared for was how ill I felt immediately after. We went to leave the clinic and had to turn round. Apparently its common for your blood pressure to drop quite rapidly which I hadn't been warned about in advance. It wouldn't have freaked me out too much if I'd known. I'd recommend having someone with you. So yup, felt weak and crampy that evening. Cramps and bleeding continued for a couple of days BUT I think its well worth it. I switched from the pill and love that I can just forget about it.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have the copper one, I did have it fitted after I had had my boys so that may be the reason I had no pain on fitting (just a little sharp). I was fine but I agree with Vicster that it may be a good idea to get someone to go along with you.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Does it really take 20mins to get it in? I cant get my head round that bit

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Mine only took a minute or two. They put a speculum in (same as when having a smear test) then for me it was really quick. I suppose it can be different for everyone.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No. They measure the depth of your uterus with an instrument called a sound. This is passed through your cervix and uterus until it hits the back wall so to speak. This smarts a bit and takes less than a minute. Once that's out, the actual insertion happens. This takes around a minute also, then the snip the strings and voila, it is done.

The appointment lasts 20 minutes as they have to set up, clamp your cervix, clean it, measure your uterus, insert coil, and let you relax for a few minutes before letting you get up.

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

I had mierna put in around about Feb time, I won't lie it was painful as hell apparently its better when you've had a kid. I had bleeding and cramps for around a week and then spotted for a few weeks then my periods stopped.

I was on the pill before that and had horrible side effects from the pill, weight gain, painful periods, heavy periods and depression to name a few.

Since I've had the mierna I've been a new person and I've even lost weight. Other than the pain at insertion its the best thing I've ever done. I forget its in there and i don't miss my periods at all and I really don't miss the awful painful cramps that I used to get.

I've def found I get less side effects on this than I did on the pill.

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

I am cringing while reading. I don't think this is for me...however.

I just wanted to say good luck Cooks, cos am a bit sad for you that you're getting all these scare stories, but the general consensus seems to be take some painkillers and it will be over soon.

Yay for the reduction in hormones though!!! Could well be worth it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics