Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

Contraception **Update in OP**

Mellow_Yellow, 6 July, 2012 at 11:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

I have been on Microgynon30 since I was 14 years old. I have always had problems with oily skin, mood swings (verging on depression sometimes), and just generally being quite a hormonal person. I have always just accepted that this is who I am, as I've never known any different. Now that I think back, at 15 I went to the doctor as my moods (ecstatic somtimes, then zombie like others) got to a point where I felt I had to do something, and I was prescribed anti-depressants for a while. I chose to come off them myself, as they didn't make much difference, and I didn't want to become dependant on them.

Now, lately I have wondered if my pill could be to blame for some of my problems. Occassionally I think about going to the doctor to find out what support is out there for when I have really bad times, but then things brighten up and I never get around to it, plus I am embarrassed and wouldn't know where to start.

So, first port of call, I'm thinking about alternative contraception. Really different pills, injection, etc. as I wouldn't be willing to get the implant or any type of coil at this stage.

Ladies - what should I try and why?

***UPDATE - have been off the pill for three weeks now and I am a changed person. As it happens, we have decided that we are ready to start a family, so are using condoms for a month or so until my cycle settles down and then trying. I honestly will never go back on that pill...my life seems so much brighter, my 'dark days' which happen once or twice a week have disappeared, my energy levels are higher, and the bedroom department...well ? it seems that pill (Microgynon) suppresses a lot!!! I would definitely recommend that anyone on the pill who feels like I did in my OP looks at other methods, I can't believe how much happier I am***

37 replies

Latest activity by sr3693, 2 August, 2012 at 16:25
  • Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember which pill i was on but it was horrible and I really would have to be strong persuaded to try again.

I was depressed around that time anyway which obviously I don't think helped, but I felt it was worse with the pill, i felt numb, depressed and generally miserable. I also noticed greasy hair/skin more than usual and i also suffered with thrush quite badly, which i had never ever had before. It was terrible. I came straight off it, i still have some problems with thrush/constant urine infections and sometimes i really wonder if it did some damage.

And to be honest, i'm too embarrassed to go back to the doctors and try again.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I used to have terrible mood swings on that pill as well and changed to one beginning with C (sorry, can't remember it's name!) which suited me better. Can I ask why you won't consider the coil? I had mine fitted a couple of months ago and whilst the fitting was horrible, I really do prefer it to the pill - far less PMT, lighter periods which may stop in a few months, no panicing if I forget to take the pill. I was really against the coil initially but I am really glad I have it now.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I used to take that pill too, and i used to have terrible mood swings and was just generally not nice to be around. I came off the pill about 4 years ago, and my mood swings never got any better until MIL suggested i start taking Evening Primrose Oil. It helps with hormonal balance and the likes and has done wonders for my attitude. I still get grumpy, but at least now i don't want throw chairs at people! Smiley smile

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I used to take the same pill in my early twenties...I had weight gain and dip in sex drive, but didn't find it affected otherwise.

I can't really give you much help on other types of contraception as I have only ever had Microgynon 30 and then both types of coil (which you say you don't want just now)

All I'll say about the coil is the first one I had was the non hormonal and had no problems with it and it was easily inserted (I had given birth 6 weeks before, so this may have helped). The current one I have is the hormonal one and again I find it great, mostly because I don't get a period anymore (woohoo) I found it more uncomfortable when having it inserted this time(though no more uncomfortable than a smear test).

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I used to take that pill and it was awful. Exactly the same as you, so so down at times, just hysterically crying for no apparent reason, OH thought I was mental. I swapped to cerazette and I am totally back to normal. I would definitely come off it if I was you. I'm really shocked the doctors put you on anti depressants without even trying to change your pill?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Echo what others have said, sounds like it is your pill, it's a shame it's taken you this long to realise and that your doctor did not question it before. ?

I hav tried several types, all of which had terrible adverse effects on me - mainly my moods. To the point that my mates remember a time years ago when I was a horror - athough at the time they didn't know why! (neither did I)

Hope you get a solution sorted soon. Have you been to the Sandyford - they are really good, where I go for smears and family planning after my doctor refused me the pill as he said I didn't need it!

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

I used to be on that one too, and like Looneysh I experienced a real disappearance of my sex drive. I also got headaches and in the end my body got too used to it I think and I started to bleed about a week into my pack and it then stayed like that the rest of the month. I got changed to another one which was slightly stronger (can't remember the name) but they made no difference so I changed again. I am now on Trinovum which gets stronger every week and while it is better in that it doesn't affect my sex drive and i dont get headaches as often, I still get light bleeding although not as much.

Im going to ask at my next appointment if I can try a different one, I've heard of a few women trying 5 or 6 different pills until they find the right one. Defo tell your Doctor you want to change and she/he will look at your issues and try a pill with different hormone levels. Hope you get it sorted out!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just can't stand the idea of it, it makes me feel really queasy - and while I would consider it eventually, I want to see if I can find something a bit less daunting initially. A few of my friends get on well with the coil, while others have had problems - my cousin says that both her and her OH can feel it during sex ?

I don't have any problem remembering my pill, I can count on one have the amount of times I have forgotten it in a decade.

It's interesting to hear that so many others have had similar experiences. Yes, my doctor was a twunt! I have since moved doctors, and in fairness to the doctor every time I go for my blood pressure check (every six months) he asks how I'm getting on and if I've considered other options. Like I say, I've just never made the link between the pill and how I am, because I've always been this was IYSWIM?

Someone mentioned sex drive? That is also something that I have never had much of, and it gets me down. I know that OH feels sometimes that it's something he's doing (or not doing), but I just have never been particularly driven in that area...I wish I was. All these things have cumulated to make me think I should try something else.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

I had the same sort of thing on my first pill. I went to the doctors about it and he changed me to Loestrin 20. This has a lower dose therefore you dont have bad side effects. That was 6 years ago now and ive had no trouble on it at all. Obviously everyones body is different but may be worth looking into it or something similar?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I know you say the idea of the implant makes you ? but it isn't that bad, honest. You can't feel it, unless you actually rub the skin, I forget I have it sometimes. Although it does make an excellent party trick.

And you definitely can't feel it when you're getting jiggy!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been there for testing pre-OH ?

Can you go there just to discuss methods? Then who prescribes, them or your doctor? What about repeat prescriptions, who writes them?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha - no, the idea of the coil makes me ?

I wouldn't consider the implant at this stage before trying other options, purely because I think a pill is easier to stop, as opposed to having to have an implant removed.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I see. Well it probably takes a 30 mins docs appointment to remove it, and as soon as it's out, your hormones will regulate and go back to their natural 'thang'. This is why I opted to have it over the injection, as that is obviously in your system until it runs out.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My sister was put on Microgynon and after a month my mum and I made her stop taking it - she went from a carefree young girl to a raging hormonal nutcase!!

I was put on Logynon 14 years ago and never had a problem, I think it's a much lower dosage than some others.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what has always put me off the injection. I've had problems with the 4 different types of pill I've been on (2 combined, 2 mini) and both types of coil, but when I had problems with a pill I could just stop taking it, and I could easily get the coil removed (except the first one I had, they cut the threads too short and the doctor couldn't get it out!) but now I have the implant and it's the best thing ever.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I remember when I was about 15 I got put on the pill for non-contraception reasons. The Dr wanted to put me on one (sorry cant remember what it was) and my mum refused as there had been a lot of press about it making girls depressed.

We use condoms but a friend of mine used to have the injections and she raved about it, so much so that i seriously looked it to it.

she stopped it last year and had very heavy long periods.

• Tallulaha
    Beginner November 2012
    Tallulaha ·
    • Hide content

Please definitely change your pill from the current one - i've tried loads of different ones and they all gave different side-effects, some good some bad, you might benefit from a low oestrogen one, there is one called Loestrin 20 that I know a few friends are on with very little side-effects.

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

SorryI took so long to reply - super busy at work today Smiley sad

Trinovum hasn't given me any side effects like weight gain - but i suppose it could affect people differently.

Its a three week pill with a weeks break. Each week is a different coloured pill and each is a different strength. It's just in the same kind of pack as your Microgynon but each week is marked in a different colour, its just as easy to take as microgynon.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I take Yasmin and get on well with it (and this is coming from someone who's quite hormonal without the pill!) It also gives me absolutely no period pains and really light periods.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'm on microgynon too and reading this is making me think I should look into changing to another pill. I've had a few spells of depression which I just put down to stress but I'm now thinking this could be something to do with it.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was put on this once for my bad skin. My goodness, I turned into this...

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sexy ?

I guess it just shows that it's completely a matter of trial and error, something that works really well with one person can be awful for someone else.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

?

• spaceman spiff
    Beginner May 2013
    spaceman spiff ·
    • Hide content

I first went on the pill at uni for period pains and started with loestrin 20. Great for period pain. Awful for keeping friends. Made me a complwtely irrational, screaming banshee like creature. I was sharing a house with 4 boys at the time. They were terrified of me! Currently on vilest and no probs with it.

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

I first went on microgyron- it turned me into an absolute banshee. How he stayed with me I will never no, then I went on a progestron only one which was great- highly recommended, apart from, if I remember correctly I couldn't run pill packets together (I can't really handle a period a month!) The I had the implant for uni- I last about 3 months with it after having 2 6 week periods which was ummm entertaining over freshers. Now on femodene which has been wonderful, although coming off in September - bit worried as I've been on a pill pretty much solidly for about 7 years :s

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

So, yes- ditch the microgyron! X

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Update in OP ?

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

Just to give another viewpoint. I was put on microgynon in my teens and took it on and off for 30 years. Then my GP told me I shouldn't take it at my age and switched me to progesterone only pills. My sex drive disappeared immediately. I never had any problems whatsoever with microgynon 30.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Glad to hear you're feeling better MY!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Any hormonal contraceptive has the ability to do this. It's pumping hormones into your body to stop it doing what it should be. I was on different types from about 14, variety of pills, 3 monthly injections and implant, and I changed a couple of times purely down to mood swings. They don't affect everybody in the same way the same as some people have mood swings every month with their normal cycle and others don't. I'm glad you've got it sorted now, but just thought I'd add this so people know it's down to th individual not the specific brand/type or contraceptive x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's nice to hear that there are positive views out therer too. It's just that for me, this was obviously the wrong pill. Can't believe I waited so many years to question it ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics