Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Contraceptive advice, anyone in the know? TMI warning.

pandorasbox, 17 May, 2013 at 13:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Just got back from the hospital. After the last couple of years of abnormal smears, biopsies, laser treatment, cold coagulation, post-coital and breakthrough bleeding and so on I have still been experiencing post-coital bleeding despite treatment and an ultrasound found I have functional cysts in my left ovary.

The doc examined me and said she can't see any reason for the post-coital bleeding as the previous op had worked to remove the cervical ectropian. So that's weird. OH obv thinks we should have more sex to 'toughen up the cells' but I'm not sure he is coming from an objective or medically-informed point of view.

To stop the random breakthrough bleeds the doctor said I should be having 2 of my Noriday pills per day. However this will probably increase the likelihood of post-coital bleeding and the ovarian cysts due to the influx of extra hormones.

Another option is to come off the pill to give myself a break, let any cervical cells get back to normal and see if the cysts disperse. However she warned me condom failure rates are huge compared to pill protection. I am allergic to most sensitive and anti-allergy condoms we have tried in the past so going back to them seems a bad idea. But we will need some protection. With me starting my new role in Sept I definitely will not want to be even thinking about TTC (plus am not at all ready anyway despite OH looking longingly at every child we pass) until I have been in the post at least a full school year and know that my contract will be permanent.

The final option is to have the pill injection. I do not want an implant or coil and the doc was not keen on either of those options either, but she seemed to love the idea of the pill injection. However she said it lasts 3 months, has a risk of affecting fertility if used for longer than a few months, and gives the feeling of constant about-to-come-on aches, pains and mood swings. Hmm, nice one.

OH and I have sex so rarely, because for over a year it was so painful, then it resulted in not much fun for me with the bleeding, and we really hoped we would be able to get things back on track now. Sex is fraught with tension for us and I hate to say it but lately I just can't wait for it to be over because I'm so worried about everything 'down there'. OH is a bit quicker off the mark than I am so to speak, and because I feel I need to go and check for blood afterwards and clean that up it doesn't exactly give us any intimate snuggle time to take care of unfinished business.

Any advice wise Otters?

9 replies

Latest activity by RebTheEck, 17 May, 2013 at 22:28
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I stopped taking the pill and switched to condoms because I was bleeding a little after sex. It completely cured the problem. However, I'm not sensitive to any of the components of a condom. If you haven't used them for several years, it is possible that there are new types/brands that you might try?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree with Footers. I'm no medical expert but surely it would be best to give yourself a complete break from hormones and see what happens? There must be new anti allergy condoms developed in the last few years.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

The injection is great. Unless you plan to have kids. Even a year on it may take 2+ years to get back to normal (not in my case, but for most).

If you want to ttc in next year I'd persevere with condoms, but maybe use a spermicide lube too? If its infrequent sex, the chances of an accident will be smaller, plus you can have morning after pill if really necessary?

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I meant to add, you could always track your cycles etc so you can be sure not to have sex at peak fertile time (still with condoms or just spermicide if you feel comfortable with it) if that is more reassuring?

chuffing chuffs. They cause so many problems for so many people, yet most of the time you wouldn't even know there was a problem until you ttc etc.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought about that, but yes there's probably new brands to try. I will have a look. We already use the most sensitive allergen free lube we could find but even that makes my skin very sore. However when I have been for examinations the doctors have obviously used some type of lubricant and that has never bothered me. Maybe it is psychological now (a doctor in recent months has suggested this to me, although couldn't explain away the blood) in that sex/lube/condoms = expected pain.

I am really reluctant to go for a longer-term option and risk fertility issues, plus if any hormonal changes make me crazy I like to be able to just stop taking the pill so it gets out of my body quickly rather than having to wait for 3 months for something to get out of my system.

The no brainer would be stop taking anything hormonal and switch to condoms and hope for something more sensitive being available. However I do love the period-free life. Yes I do get some breakthrough bleeding, it was horrendous at first but now is just requiring a little pantyliner for a couple of days on and off which I am hoping will settle down now I have been on Noriday for 3 months. When I used to have periods it was awful, 6 or 7 days of monster tampons and nappies to feel secure, plus the inconvenience of being on at times when I'd really rather not be, such as holidays and so on.

My flippant solution is no more sex; OH's is to JFDI whenever we please with no protection and see what happens. It's going to be an arquard evening discussing this...

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Can't offer any advice P but hope you and h talk things through as easy as possible, tres sensitive in so many ways Smiley sad

Your health & happiness is paramount!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

The injection (depo provera), implant and mini pill (such as the one you're on) all use the same hormone which is a synthetic progesterone. It is just delivered into your blood stream in different ways. So if you aren't getting on with your Pill, switching to one of these methods seems a little pointless (to my non-medical brain).

If you are wanting hormone-free contraception, then perhaps the copper coil is worth a look? It can last up to 5 years, but once removed your fertility is instantly restored. It is like an internal barrier method as it stops implantation happening, but once it is out, there is no waiting to get back to normal like with hormonal methods.

I have had one previously, as have several ladies in the 2012 group. And whilst it smarts a bit being inserted, and feels a bit tender and crampy for a few days, once it is in, you won't notice it at all and can just get on with things whilst allowing your body/cysts/bleeding to settle down.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Actually I've just read your comment about monster periods. I no longer recommend the copper could as it wwill most likely make them heavier and longer.

The mirena could contains synthetic progesterone which is released very slowly over 5 years. The dose is much much lower than the pill and is secreted in utero, and less likely to cause system wide effects such as mood swings as not so much enters the blood stream.

Same deal as the copper coil, but the progesterone will thin your womb lining meaning much lighter, or no periods at all. Again once it is out, fertility is back to normal straight away.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a thought, could it possibly be the hormones from the pill making the skin more sensitive & therefore causing a worse reaction?

Could you find out from the GP or other medical person what the lube is they use to see if you can source some yourself as you know it doesn't cause issues? BUT some lubes affect condoms so best to do some research first!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics