Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2017

contracts with venue / sound limiters

HappyIvoryConfetti714, 7 of November of 2016 at 15:20 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi

Our venue has now installed a sound limiter at the venue and it has been set prohibitively low.

Now, this wasn't even mentioned in our contract that and the venue have signed so am I right in thinking that we can tell them to remove / turn off the sound limiter because we didn't ever contractually agree to its existence/use in the first place? If we had of known we would have likely decided to go with another venue.

Or worst case scenario - am in my rights to cancel our booking/wedding and take them to court to reclaim any deposits we have given them for contract violation?

Thanks in advance

Andy

7 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 8 of November of 2016 at 16:58
  • Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Hi Andy, I'm sorry I can't be of much use with this. I have just realised I didn't even look in our contract with the venue for information about such things. I do know however that this has been discussed previously, I've tried to search but for some reason the search function on the forums doesn't want to work for me. Hopefully have better luck x

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Hi Andy,

Out of interest, how low is prohibitively low? Have you started by asking them to turn it off as you signed a contract on the basis that you could have music amplification?

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, have they said why they've introduced it all of a sudden? Complaints from neighbouring properties & the council forcing them to? If that's the case I guess there probably won't be the option to not have it on the day of your wedding, but as it wasn't mentioned or noted in the contract you have signed, then legally they may then be breaching the terms of their contract by introducing it retrospectively - I'm not sure but I'd definitely look into it further.

This issue put us off a venue we really liked, as although there was nothing in force at the time of viewing, I knew there had been various complaints made about the noise from weddings in the summer & I was worried it would become an issue nearer the time of our wedding.

Good luck sorting it Andy!

• H
    Beginner July 2017
    HappyIvoryConfetti714 ·
    • Hide content

85db I think. From what I can gather that's the around level of people clapping, whooping and cheering. So imagine the first dance - music on, people clapping then - OH, power cuts out.

• H
    Beginner July 2017
    HappyIvoryConfetti714 ·
    • Hide content

They haven't given a reason - currently trying to work that out with them. As someone has said - if this is a council requirement then there's going to be no wiggle room on that. However I can't see that they can legally retrofit that in our arrangement without agreement. Which they won't get. It would have been a fundamental factor in our deciding to choose a venue. It's like pre-ordering a car and then being told a few months later that it has pink upholstery. Is that ok? No, it's not ok - I want what I've bought. Pretty dam simple.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Andy,

85db is low but even though you could have clapping that loud it usually depends on the frequency that the microphone is set to and where the microphone is placed.

What type of band/music are you having???

James

• H
    Beginner July 2017
    HappyIvoryConfetti714 ·
    • Hide content

Cheers James

It's DJ only for now - no live band, but a fairly beefy sound system.

Andy

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Andy,

Most DJ's should be able to work within the sound limiter. As I previously said the sound limiters are usually set to certain frequencies and your guests clapping shouldn't set it off. (By setting it off it actually cuts the whole power to the sound off completely).

There is usually a traffic light type system so any sound can be leveled during setup and soundcheck. A dj can easily keep an eye on this and trim volumes & bass frequencies accordingly.

If any forum members have booked a band with a venue that has a sound limiter then let your band know asap. They should be able to make arrangements to work within most db levels by using different equipment or by asking the sound engineer to work within the limit. (Some bands don't have engineers-ask!!!)

There are many factors but please don't instantly think your reception is ruined.... we have played in many venues over the summer with sound limiters and everyone still had a fantastic time!!!

If anyone wants any advice just ask.

James

The Spectrum

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics