Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsShark
Beginner September 2011

Controversial Topic.....Children at Weddings!

MrsShark, 28 January, 2011 at 10:58

Posted on Planning 49

I know that this is probably going to divide you Hitchers like Marmite but after a LOT of deliberation my OH and I have decided not to include children on the invite list for our wedding, except for our two nephews who are pageboys. I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where they...

I know that this is probably going to divide you Hitchers like Marmite but after a LOT of deliberation my OH and I have decided not to include children on the invite list for our wedding, except for our two nephews who are pageboys.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where they said absolutely NO CHILDREN and I remember thinking at the time “crikey I would never do that”……but after looking at how we would do the table plans at our venue, which has a limited capacity of 80, we realised that a small bum on a seat (as most of the children are too old for highchairs) would be the same as a big bum on a seat….that was the clincher.

I know some won’t agree with our decision but just thought I would throw it out there as a Friday teaser to see what others were thinking about or doing for their weddings?

49 replies

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

We are having 7 children at our wedding - the rule is:

1) if they or their sibling or their parent are part of the wedding party

We are inviting our cousins but none of our cousins children who do not apply to the above rule.

Will offend some Im sure but thats our decision - and it is based largely on our numbers & seating arrangements (which are proving horrendous as it is). All our friends with children know they have to get babysitters sorted. x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Would she feel the same about a dinner party????

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

"Im sure most of the people saying surely the parents will want a day without there children havent got children themselves."

Oh Dear Mrs A to Be. I said this, and I have a child myself....

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just to clarify, I meant if I were his mother! ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

We're having four children at our wedding - our two children and our two nephews. It's our wedding day, not a kids party.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps that's why its different for us? I'm an only child anyway (and I'm sure most of you agree that after having me my parents deciding not to have any more was a good thing), and although my b2b is part of a family of 4 children (all in their 20's/30's) none of them have their own children yet either. Sure, cousins, friends etc have children but I don't view those as the same, if that makes sense?

In that way, not having anyone else's children to our day wouldn't feel "incomplete", whereas I can understand it might for those of you with small children in your immediate families?

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably not but a wedding is a family occasion and a bit different to a sit down meal for 6 people! I dont have a problem with no children or children, i said i personally had a problem with picking which children to invite and which ones to leave but thats my opinion!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well exactly. "Disposable object", honestly, who ever suggested that! That's just taking offence where none was intended! I'd want to go to a wedding with my partner but if he wasn't invited for some reason (e.g. it was a work colleague's wedding, or a close friend who was having a very small wedding, etc) I wouldn't throw my toys out the pram about it! Nobody is saying "don't bring your children because they're not part of your family", they're saying "we would prefer a grown-up affair for OUR wedding". To pretend otherwise is just to put words in people's mouths.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alright, a dinner dance then!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

We're just having my OH's son - who will be nearly 11 and OH's niece - who'll be nearly 1. I don't really like children at weddings, I just don't think it's the right place for them to be charging about and must be quite boring unless entertainment for them is laid on. A lot of our friends have got kids and I've not had anyone comment so far - most of my friends live locally though so a babysitter is less of a problem. We'll put something on the invites though about restrictions on space

The one exception I thought of last night is a friend of Mr Kooks is having a baby later this year and they will be welcome to bring him/her as they'll only be a few months old.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

That's the thing isn't it Mrs A to be. SHE thinks it's a family occasion. I don't. I think it is an occasion for grown-ups, and something which children don't understand anyway. Horses for courses Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow i was just stating my opinion like everyone else, just because it differs to yours no need to get all defensive. Everyone obviously has different views on what a wedding should be, to me its a bit celebration with everyone who means something to me! It wouldnt bother me if it was a room full of children, as long as im getting married to my other half i couldnt care less who was there!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'm not at all defensive. Simply pointing out that we are all different and while your (sister-in-law? Sorry, have forgotten the relation) thinks weddings are for children, other people don't, and there was no need for her to be upset over other people's choices about THEIR weddings. I think you have misread the tone of my post slightly, perhaps I was not clear enough.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics