Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

22tango
Beginner April 2010

corkage fees

22tango, 5 August, 2009 at 21:14 Posted on Planning 0 9

A bit cheeky really as we already booked the venue and knew they had corkage fees, but... I've heard of people 'negotiating' their way out of them, any experience of getting away with this?

9 replies

Latest activity by tizzy0409, 7 August, 2009 at 11:23
  • caslass
    Beginner April 2010
    caslass ·
    • Hide content

Hi sorry i not got any help for this as i tried with where i am havin my food but they was having none of it so would be good to hear if anyone has got out of it and how mine isnt that much but every little helps lol

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    surfgirl ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i'm going to sound really stupid now, but what's a corkage fee. Is this bringing your own bottles and them charging to open? I haven't booked my venue yet as i'm out of the country for a few more weeks( very frustrating as the wedding will be in May!) But it's good to know all the info, for when i do book. Thanx :-)

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi surfgirl,

exactly! if you haven't found your venue yet its something to look out for. Generally most places where catering is supplied in-house, and you would like to buy your own alcohol (as opposed to using theirs, usually more expensive bottles) they would charge you a corkage fee - so simply put charge you a fee for serving your wins, though they don't even serve it in some occasions. in our case its about 9.50 (off the top of my head PER BOTTLE. so if their cheapest wine is 16 a bottle we would have to find 4 quid a bottle to buy, just to make it worth a saving.

We worked out that even with the corkage though, we would be saving about 300 quid if we bought our own, every little helps...

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £8 a bottle, and we thought about getting our own to save a little. But we wouldn't save much and I dont like the idea of it. Sounds silly but I would rather pay the £14 per bottle than buy £4 stuff from Tesco and pay them £8 to open it!!! The first doesn't p me off quite so much!

• caslass
    Beginner April 2010
    caslass ·
    • Hide content

Hi i am lucky then i am paying £3 per bottle corkage but the main reason i am buying my own wines in is i know wot they taste like and i can choose the wine the cheapest wine there is like £16 so that give me anything from £13 for a bottle and i would olny be spending the same

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Ok after a shitedidudah day at work I have decided to take matters into y own hands and start a comprehensive research of cheep wine tasting.

Bottle of the day: DINO Sangiovese Di Romagna,Red, Italian, Half price at Tesco's, $4.49 or thereabouts.

Verdict: Very very nice! but will have another glass just to make sure....

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

We're having caterers at our venue and their corkage is £3 a bottle. I think this is fairly reasonable as it is, for service all day and night, glasses, chilling and disposal of waste. I'll try and haggle down.

I went to a wine wholesaler and did my best negotiating and got about 70 bottles of lindauer (good sparkly, went down well at my birthday) for £6.10 a bottle. It all depends on what deals you can get I suppose.

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    surfgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, it's good to be armed with info!

• T
    Beginner September 2009
    tizzy0409 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue charges £8 corkage which I thought was quite a lot.

We went to France on a booze cruise and got all our wine from there, the most expensive bottle we bought was £4.19 so we're still saving money against their wine list, which starts at about £15/bottle and it means we get to have wines we know and like.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics