Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2016

corkage fees...

HeavyMetalMaiden, 7 of August of 2014 at 09:38 Posted on Planning 0 5

Is someone able to explain to me how corkage fees work? It is like 13 quid for a bottle of wine at our venue - 3 times as much than the wine itself! What the hell? Do they just make this up or is there a proper reason where they cannot move on price?

Just as well I am not supplying any booze, but I am just curious!

5 replies

Latest activity by Pandabarney, 7 of August of 2014 at 19:25
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Restaurants and venues make a lot of profit on wine so the corkage is to make sure they still make a profit even if you bring your own.

Our corkage was £7 a bottle or £8 for sparkling/champagne. That's cheap though compared to most. £13 is more standard across the board.

Of course, some places don't charge corkage at all but it will be rare to find a hotel/'traditional' wedding venue that will do this. Our venue was the british campus of an american uni so they were a bit cheaper on things like this.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I thought that ours was expensive but looks incredibly cheap against yours Kharv. I'm paying £5 a bottle for sparkling.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's why I bought 66 bottles of fizz fromSaino's on their 25% off if you buy 6 deal and at a time when their best prosecco was also 25% off, because with the corkage fee at both our venues it still comes in at much less than what they would charge for their own prosecco - and Saino's Conegliano is better prosecco too. We haven't bothered for the flat wine as it's not worth it. We're paying £7.50 at our wedding venue then £5 at our party venue.

But not all allow you to take your own sadly and yes - they basically make the price up :/

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I think they generally like to discourage you from taking your own.

That said, our lovely Pizza Express lady is letting us take in all of our bottles of fizz for the welcome drinks/toasts for no corkage fee!

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £15 corkage fee for each bottle of champagne. When the champers is about £15 a bottle (bulk) it still works out cheaper than their £42 bottle of champagne that is rubbish. We asked to negotiate but they wouldn't/couldn't budge.

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

We have to supply all the alcohol for our wedding breakfast and luckily our venue or the caterer is not charging any corkage fees so that's saved us a fortune!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics