Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2020

Corona and October wedding?

HappyGoldCars64024, 1 of April of 2020 at 09:42 Posted on Planning 0 3

Getting married 3rd October 2020.

Dad was a recipient of a kidney transplant a couple of years ago, Uncle is on dialysis and we have a few elderly guests who are 'vulnerable adults'. 100 guests in total.

We have the option to move our wedding to March 2021 (for about £600) or October 2021 (for about £1.2k). We can't claim on insurance as it is us making the decision at this point.

Worried that if we keep it in the diary for this year we could be risking the health of our guests, or risking the government closing it down/restricting guest numbers in possible future measures.

If we keep the date and the government cancel we can claim on insurance and book for next year but we risk the venue not having a date for us or our guests not being free. Also will the threat of the virus affect the tone of the wedding this October? We've always wanted a big wedding, lots of friends family and a big party, but equally we want to get married this year!

Any one have any advice? We have a make a decision in the next 2 weeks before we pay the next deposit (which we could lose if we move the date to Oct 2021).

Cheers!

3 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 14:07
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's so difficult, isn't it?! There is no way of knowing - it could still be around in October, it could be gone by October and come back next year...there are no guarantees.

Personally, I'd keep the October date and look into live-streaming/video recording your wedding for anyone who is not able to attend. You may have some elderly relatives unable to attend, but you don't know they will be able to attend next year either - it sounds brutal, but no one knows how long they have, and if it is important for someone elderly to see you marry, then I'd say the sooner the better. You could always look at doing a party (maybe with a showing of your wedding film?) at a later date for anyone unable to attend.

My mother has actually asked us to keep to our original date, even if she's unable to attend - her reasoning is that she could die from something other than the virus anyway (she's in her late 70s and in poor health) and she just wants to 'see' us married, even if that only takes the form of photos and video footage.

• SunnyBrownCars88088
    Beginner July 2020
    SunnyBrownCars88088 ·
    • Hide content

Were in a similar situation except our wedding was in july and we have moved it to last week of september... but we have a number of high risk and elderly guests who are s big concern for us, especially as they are abroad and will have to fly in. I I feel the same way as the other person who posted though, that those people might not be around at all if we wait another year, so that's why we have currently gone for end of september. Who knows yet what will be the right decision though... but there were other reasons I was keen not to wait another year, so hoping on balance that this was the right decision. I wouldn't be changing october dates yet, but everyone is balancing different things up I guess..

• S
    Sanjeev-Nanda-official ·
    • Hide content

The covid-19 has really screwed us over, hasn't it? To be fair, if you can take your deposit back, it would be nothing like it - trust me, its like winning the lottery. I don't think you should be planning your date anytime in the next 6 months. Even if the Covid is eradicated in the next few months, they're predicting a rise by fall of this year once again. Keep your dates till next year, sister. I would not suggest any weddings this year.
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics