Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2021 West Midlands

Coronorvirus - Wedding in April, do we wait or postpone?

RomanticRedFlowers32817, 17 of March of 2020 at 13:57 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone,

We are in such a predicament with the coronovirus, we get married at the end of April in the UK. We really don't know whether to postpone to a later date or just to wade it out? Of course we have elderly family who would be attending, I also don't want to get closer to the date and the government decide a total lock down and we are absolutely stuck then.

If the government does announce a lock down does that mean a wedding of say 100 people would be cancelled? Does anyone have any advice?

Smiley smile

4 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownHair83668, 20 of March of 2020 at 14:38
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's so hard - on the one hand, they're asking people to avoid meeting in groups of more than 50 and asking you to maintain social distancing (which could potentially make it awkward unless your venue is much bigger than would normally be required for your number of guests). But at the same time, they're saying that people should avoid all social gatherings, specifically including weddings! So on the one hand, you can get married, but on the other hand, no one should come to it!

You've got three options - go ahead with your plans and hope you don't get cancelled last minute, move the whole thing back by a few months or get married on the original day with just your witnesses (you can then have a reception/party at a later date if you wish)

Personally, I'd be looking at the second or third options for an April wedding - it's going to be almost impossible to keep the social distancing thing up, especially with 100 guests, and you don't want people who really shouldn't be there due to age or health issues going anyway because they don't want to miss your wedding.

Best thing to do is to talk to your vendors, registrar etc and go from there. Our wedding's not until June, but we've already spoken with our venue, photographer and registrar for advice and they've all been really helpful and supportive.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensivePurpleCakes53263 ·
    • Hide content

I was due to get married mid april but the venue have postponed to October Smiley sad .. im really sad but also glad the choice has been taken out of my hands. i know a few of my family and friends wouldn't have come so im glad thy can now all be there. Its so hard and I understand exactly how you are feeling. This isnt something any of us ever factored into our wedding days! x

• R
    Beginner June 2020
    RomanticOrangeDiamonds31573 ·
    • Hide content

Did it incur any extra costs to postpone?

And how did you raise it with your venue? We are due to marry in 2 weeks.

• Z
    Beginner March 2021
    zeldaella ·
    • Hide content

You shouldn't hold your wedding in this time. You can wait until everything is getting better

• S
    Beginner March 2021
    SunnyBrownHair83668 ·
    • Hide content

As a Manager of a wedding venue hotel, we have postponed all wedding's and function's for 6 weeks until the end of April, I can see us having to look at May in a week or two.

I would certainly change your date if I was you and I'm surprised your venue having been in touch to assist you with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics