Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FutureMrsWilson
Beginner January 2010

Corsage and Buttonhole etiquette? Help!

FutureMrsWilson, 16 April, 2011 at 08:04 Posted on Planning 0 4

I'm pricing up my flowers, etc at the moment and I really don't know who are meant to have corsages and buttonholes? I saw online that some people give buttonholes to all male guests, but that alone would probably blow my flower budget, so I need to be a little more realistic.
If anyone could give me any ideas on who should have them (and corsages) without it running into huge numbers it would really help!
Thank you, hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

4 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 16 April, 2011 at 08:37
  • F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Im getting 2 corsages for my mum and mil and button holes for h2b, fil, best man, usher, son and ss if that helps? Im certainly not buying for everyone!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Back in the 80s when a button hole was home-made carnation and foil creation, all men were given one.

Nowadays (I have been to loads of weddings over the past 10 years) it tends to be just the bridal party. That's what we are doing.

I actually think this way is better as it means people know which men are in the bridal party.

• FutureMrsWilson
    Beginner January 2010
    FutureMrsWilson ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your input.
    We're not really having ushers, just a pageboy. (My little brother who will be 6 at the time.) My H2B has two brothers, should they get one? At the moment my buttonholes would be going to; H2B, BM, H2B'd Dad, my Mum's partner and my little brother.
    And, should my H2B's Dad's partner get a corsage? I know she's not a Mum, but she's been in the family for many, many years.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

General etiquette nowadays is Buttonholes for the male principle guests i.e., Best Man, FOB, FOG, and any ushers or groomsmen in attendance. The Groom has a slightly more special buttonhole to the rest of the male bridal party so he stands out from them in the photos.

Corsages are for ladies and normally they are provided for MOB, MOG and possibly Grandma's or special Aunts. If budget is limited, these can be special buttonholes instead.

My advice is not to purchase buttonholes for all the bridal party as they will probably get wasted. Most people do not like wearing buttonholes, especially men. Ladies who do like to wear a buttonhole who aren't a principle guest prefer to buy their own so it matches their outfit rather than be given one to to wear that has been chosen for them.

Corsages cost more than buttonholes because they involve intricate wiring work. A lot of people get confused as to what a corsage actual is... they are made into a small version of a bouquet and are worn on the lapel of a jacket or or a dress and not just a buttonhole with a ribbon on it. If you want wrist corsages, these should always be asked for by name as they are a completely different floristry item.

Feel free to browse the galleries on my website where you can see examples of all the above.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics