Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Cost of dressmaker for BM dresses

11 of October of 2011 at 21:16 Posted on Planning 0 12

Wonder if anyone who had their BM dresses made by a dressmaker would mind sharing the cost of that please? I had previously posted about looking for alternative to dessy that wasn't so expensive and plenty of people have recommended the route of having the design copied by a dressmaker. But the one's I've contacted so far have said prices start from £200-300 which is more expensive than just getting the dessy dress from a bridal shop... I'd been sort of expecting no more than £100 ish! Couple of the people I've contacted were recommended by hitchers so i'm just wondering is this sort of price the norm or can anyone give me hope? (and recommendations to match?! I'm in ruislip).

12 replies

Latest activity by Sezwest, 12 of July of 2013 at 19:57
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've actually managed to find mine elsewhere but I was quoted £75 per dress excluding fabric for something like this:

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

It depends whether you're after a professional dressmaker - then £200-300 seems about average - or an amateur who does a few dresses in their spare time - then £100 might be a good price. The first dressmaker I went with was going to charge me £50 for the dress and £30 each for waistcoats (plus materials etc), but when she fell ill I had to find someone with 4 weeks notice, she's charged me £250 for the dress and £80 each for waistcoasts.

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

I contacted one the other day, she is a family friend so I thought I would get a bit of a discount lol.. How wrong was I for a long dress, kind of A-line style she quoted me £250 for Adults £175 for children. The thing is she isn't really well known or anything, she works from her home and after looking at loads of her pictures her stuff really isn't that nice. It's kind of pushed me away from having them made now.

• filoftus
    Beginner November 2012
    filoftus ·
    • Hide content

Try the birmingham dress lady?!

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting my brisdesmaid dresses made and they are going to cost around £250 each. That includes making a toile (practice dress with cheap fabric) designing the dresses, the fabric and all the fittings. I think thats a reasonable price to pay for a made to measure dress to my specifications. When i was looking at bridesmaid dresses in the bridal shops they were similar prices but the dresses are actually made in China and shipped over here and then have to be fitted too which you often have to pay extra for. I'd much rather pay an experienced dressmaker in this country to make the dresses to my specifications. If they are using good quality fabrics then the fabrics alone could cost £50 or more and then there's the hours of work they put into it which I believe they deserve to be paid fairly for.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

It was a seamstress in Leeds (Yorkshire, not Kent) - are you anywhere near?

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Im having mine made at £180 each but that includes all alterations and stuff like that. dont think it is too bad

x

• L
    ladye9068 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, ladies, I had the same worries years ago when was a bride-to-be and that made me create my own design and sewing studio. I am located in Bulgaria and I can assure you that my experienced team can make your bridal dream dress from a sketch or design for half of the prices quoted here and even if you pay the two-way postal costs , it will be very cost effective to you all! We can make your Bridal maids' dresses too. Alterations will not exceed 30GBP and the sewing of maids dresses will not exceed 80GBP . About the bridal dress - alterations- no more than 50 and making it - no more that 180-220GBP. if you are intrested , you could write to me on ****@***.** , the whole process could be discussed and communicated via Skype.

All the prices include the pattern making, cutting and sewing of the dress. Hope to hear from you soon, I would be happy to help!

Good luck to all of you ladies!

Best regards Eva

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sezwest ·
    • Hide content

Kharv

Could you possibly provide me with details of the Leeds dressmaker please? I'm really struggling with my bridesmaid dresses.

Thank you

Sarah

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics