Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

Cost of flowers

Purple Pixie, 15 February, 2011 at 21:55 Posted on Planning 0 11

Sorry, another 'piece of string' question from me, but would you mind telling me how much you're paying for your flowers and what you're getting for that? Just trying to sort out my budget and I don't have a clue how much flowers cost. I don't even know what sort of thing we'd like yet but I do know rough quantities etc.

11 replies

Latest activity by DTTB, 16 February, 2011 at 11:18
  • Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I was exactly the same!! No idea what to expect but I've had a few quotes now and for this:

my bouquet

3 x bridesmaids bouquets

5 x buttonholes

2 x corsages

1 x long and low for the top table

1 x cake table arrangement

3 x wall bracket arrangements

4 x tall table arrangments

4 x medium/low table arrangements

15 x single stem bud vases

2 x MOB and MOG bouquets

(I think that's it!)

I've been quoted ranging from £850 - £1200 including delivery and set up.

That's for peony's \ david austen roses, some gerberas.

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content

I'll list my individually so you get an idea of what one of each costs

£85 Brides bouquet - depends on what flowers you have, I'm having a certain type of rose which is more expensive

£55 Bridesmaid bouquet

£20 Flowergirl wand

£6 Buttonhole

£25 for a floral centrepiece (this was quoted to go with a candelabra but i've since bought something else that doesn't require as much flowers so will ask for a price reduction in this)

The hotel pay for the top table arrangement and I'm going to add in flowers on a pedestal for the ceremony but can't remember how much they cost

£20 to set up and deliver

Hope that helps

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

That's fantastic, thank you both!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

It is a bit like a piece of string as you say LOL! There are many different factors which determine the price you pay for wedding flowers. Some of the main ones are:-

Where in the country you live - Southern prices are higher than prices in the North of the country (this is due to higher rent and rates of shop premises/overheads for florists)

Which flowers you would like - Certain flowers cost much more than others because they are regarded as 'luxury' flowers such as calla lilies, David Austin roses, peonies (sorry!) some varieties of orchids, lily of the valley. This is because these flowers cost more to grow so prices have to be passed onto the customer.

Which style of bouquet you would like - some designs are more intricate than others which take longer to make and, unfortunately in business, time is money.

What sort of table centrepieces you would like - anything that is made in a vase can add a considerable amount to the cost as the price of vases has shot up in recent months, including glassware.

What time of year you are getting married - if you marry around this time of year, prices of fresh flowers are at their highest! They tend to go up at the end of January and stay high until after Easter. Contrary to believe, this isn't because florists want to rip everyone off! It's because demand is high due to Valentines Day, Mothers Day and Easter and to cope with demand, growers have to produce more which inevitably puts prices up at the wholesalers so florists have to pass on these costs on to customers.

Most florists will be able to give you a 'ball park' figure if you are making general enquiries. If you want definite quotes for fresh flowers, they will probably be on the top side because until a bit nearer the time, florists won't know for sure how much they will have to pay for your flowers when the time comes.

As a rough guide, I have prices on my website for all different kinds of bouquets. These are all made with artificial flowers as I no longer do fresh flowers now but, generally speaking, there isn't a great deal of difference between fresh and artificial if you go for the most realistic ones. The main advantage at this time of year with artificial flowers is the prices don't go through the roof! Hope that helps a bit!

• M
    Beginner
    MissZKG ·
    • Hide content

We went to finalise things with out florist last night and we've agreed the following:

1 x bride boquet

3 x b/maids bouquets (smaller/paler verison of brides - these will also go into vintage glass jugs on the top taple at the reception)

2 x posies for the flower girls

flowers x 3 for b/maids hair

flowers to dress three tiers of cake

7 button holes

5 corages

2 x floral large jug/urn displays for church

10 x pew ends

10 x centre pieces for reception

1 x muslin swag with foliage and roses at tie points on top table

We've set a budget of £600 to include the above and the setting up of everything. We're having a garden flowers kind of theme but to include roses, hydrangea's, peonies (or poss ranunculas but can be difficult to use apparently), anemonies, cow parlsey, lavender, sweet peas, lily of the valley, rosemary, mint, eucalyptus, wax flower, freesias....

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

We're having:

Bridal bouquet - £75

Bridesmaid bouquet - £40

Flower girl pomander - £20

Buttonholes x 7 - £49

Corsages x 2 - £18

2m Garland for church doorway - £50

Pedestal arrangement - £75

Plus delivery is £31.50, so a total of £358.50. The only other quote I got was about £375 so I'd say that's about average around Oxford. That's for a mix of john austin roses, dahlias, astrantia, rosemary, apple mint, soft green gladioli, panicum and seed pods. We're going for a soft english country garden feel in dusky pinks and getting married over the bank holiday weekend in August.

HTH!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We're going for all white blooms with green foliage (peonies, roses, hydrangea, lily of the valley and herbs).

We've asked for:

1 x my bouquet

3 x bridesmaids bouquests

2 x large corsages for the mums.

2 x smaller ones for my nan and my dad's partner.

9 x buttonholes

16 x pew ends

1 x church door decoration

1 x large church decoration

2 x lychgate decorations

10/11 x centrepiece decoration/candelabra hire etc

2 x barn door decorations

1 x large beam decoration

4/5 x floral decorations for the barn

3 x thank you bouquets

Plus hire of various lanterns etc.

Looking like £1500 for that. Type of flowers, location of venue and sheer amount have been the biggest influences on our budget.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Its amazing how much they do vary I have paid £400 for mine and for this I have the following

1 x bridal bouquet

4 x bridemaids bouquet

8 x button holes

2 x corsages

15 x pew end decoration

8 x centre peice arrangements, (tall vases with 5 roses lots of foliage, and Im having pearls threaded thriugh some of the foligae, complete with mirror plate tealights, scattered pearls etc, she made one up especially for me the other week and it looked beautiful)

1 x top table arrangement similar to other tables but bigger

All my flowers are cream roses but because my florist works from home she doesnt have large overheads hence the price.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to add this includes delivery and set up!

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow! Didn't realise how much flowers cost!

We're not having any! I've had my bouquet and groom's buttonhole handmade for £155!

Might get bridesmaids handbags to hold instead of flowers.

Flower girls are going to carry confetti/petals in a bag/basket possibly...?x

• D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

Im shocked at how much all these flowers cost!! Flowers are the one thing Im not fussed on as they die and I think its pointless spending the money on them, I havent been quoted yet but I am having a hand tied bouqet, 4 BMs will have a long stem cala lilly type thing with ribbon round the stem, buttonholes for groom BM and my son and thats all Im getting, hopefully all will cost the £200 that my MOH is giving me towards flowers. I am having a starlit swag, and candlabras, and various candles dotted round the room, its just more my taste.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics