Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SoontobeMahoney
Beginner August 2013

Cost of overnight accommodation at our wedding venue- thoughts please

SoontobeMahoney, 24 of January of 2012 at 20:22

Posted on Planning 48

Hi all Hope your wedding plans are coming along nicely! I wondered if I could get your opinions on this....... Me and my fiance have found the most beautiful and perfect venue for our wedding in 2013, we have yet to pay the deposit, but have made a provisional booking. We have looked at other venues...

Hi all

Hope your wedding plans are coming along nicely!

I wondered if I could get your opinions on this.......

Me and my fiance have found the most beautiful and perfect venue for our wedding in 2013, we have yet to pay the deposit, but have made a provisional booking. We have looked at other venues and nothing else comes close- this is the one!!

The venue has exclusive hire. We wanted a venue like this because we have people travelling from all over and we wanted to make a weekend of it. It is a boutique hotel and has 30 bedrooms, all of which have their own unique style/theme- they are all beautiful and most have a 4 poster or king size bed.

We really want everyone to stay over and the long and short of it is, we cant really afford this venue if people don't stay and pay for their own room for the night. The rooms are about £155 per night. I have checked prices of other local hotels close to the venue and they are all from £100 upwards, so not that much cheaper.

What are your thoughts on this??? Do you think this is too much to ask people to pay? I have been thinking this over, and personally, I would be happy to pay this, but I don't want to assume that everyone will be ok with it.

I am worried that we are asking people to pay too much- but at the same time- the whole experience we want to create is based around everyone staying in the same place etc.

I'd really appreciate hearing your views on this.

Thanks

48 replies

• nicolagrimshawmitchell
    nicolagrimshawmitchell ·
    • Hide content

I would be totally happy to pay that - its a special occasion and everyone has plenty of time to save up. However you'll find some people just cant afford it or dont want to pay that much, dont be offended just put on your invites that you have so many rooms and first come first served, otherwise there are cheaper options nearby. Dont let it spoil your thoughts about your special exclusive venue - its sounds beautiful, so much so that I want to ask where it is so i can go and stay there myself!!!!!

• SoontobeMahoney
    Beginner August 2013
    SoontobeMahoney ·
    • Hide content

Wow - I've recieved lots of helpful feedback from this post- thank you.

We are definitely not presuming that our guests will book and pay for a room and we would never ever pressure any of them to stay at the venue hotel. We want to give our guests a fantastic day and understand that attending a wedding costs a lot of money (I've been to enough of them!!!!!)

Me and my fiance have had a long chat about this since my post and we have decided that we definitely want to go with this venue- it feels absolutely perfect for us. We are quite certain that our close friends and family will be happy to pay for a room- mainly so they can enjoy the wedding bar for almost 24 hours and wake up and all have breakfast together the next day- 24 hour fun and family time!!

We have therefore decided that if we cant sell all of the rooms we will pay the difference because it means so much to get married here.

Thanks for your helpful input x

• Z
    Beginner
    zebra_cake ·
    • Hide content

Not read all of this but omg i well wouldnt pay £155 for a room... i thought are rooms were expensive even at the reduced rate of £70 should be £120.

even if it was my brothers wedding i would rather drive and not drink than pay that.

sorry

• S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

Check to see if you can reduce the cost though! I've been quoted £140 at a venue we might be going for and I've challenged them on this because I found the room for £96 on Expedia for the same time of year, but in 2012. Luckily there are plenty of hotels nearby and I've been able to get a quote for £80 per room from a really decent place 5 mins down the road that I've been to see as well. I've checked with a many of our guests and I know they would not pay that price to stay at the venue.

Do a price comparison on somewhere like TripAdvisor or hotels.com if you can. Never know Smiley smile

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thank you! i've jsut done a check and my "wedding discount" is £2.50 cheaper.....thats hardly a discount really! i've just senmt them a polite email asking Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

At least if you tell everyone now, they have time to save, you could suggest to people who cant or dont want to pay that much, how much would they be willing to spend and pay the difference then? eg, if they dont mind paying £80 for a room, say well give us £80 and we will pay the £75 difference? just a suggestion, everyone wins then?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

You both obviously love the venue so I think you are doing the right thing by booking it and paying the difference if need be. At least you now know you are having the wedding you want regardless and you may be pleasantly suprised at not getting a bill for unused rooms as they may all get booked by your guests ?

• S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just got response for £125 - so a £15 discount off the quote (£55 considering original cost was £180) - including breakfast. So better than it was before, for sure!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I think it is alot once you factor in wedding gift, outfits and travel.

You have to be prepared that if there isnt any cheaper accommodation available people may not come or travel back.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well i have asked so i shall wait and see. if you dont ask you dont get Smiley smile

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I hope you can come to a deal that is realistic for you. The rooms at our venue were a £115, I reserved 20 rooms but I gave people the option of cheaper hotels on the information card. As it turned out alot did stay at our venue but me and H were comfortable in the fact that it was their choice and that they knew the prices before booking. To espect people to stay to essentially fund your reception isn't the way to go. Fingers crossed you'll get a reasonable discount. If not and you can't afford it then look elsewhere, things happen for a reason!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't worry too much about everyone on here saying it's way too much and they would never pay it. You're the one who knows your guests and knows what they can and can't pay. If I'd made a similar thread, I'd be asking people if they though £245 a night would be too much, and I guarantee that not a single person would suggest it was fine, and yet having spoken with my family and friends, they are all able to and willing to pay it - at least the close family and friends. I know a couple cousins will stay down the road for £70, though.

You love this venue, and since you know close family and friends will stay there, you can afford it! I wouldn't worry based on complete strangers telling you it's too expensive. Everyone has a difference idea of what "expensive" is. I was watching a tv show where a couple spent upwards of 70000 on their wedding and claimed it was only a small party and they hadn't gotten anything very extravagant. Your venue is nothing like that!

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

Others have said along the lines of what people can afford/they can save up if they have plenty of time.

Personally for me, I hate this kind of thinking, its not so much about that, its about what they want to spend their money on.

For me, bearing in mind that you only get to spend your time sleeping in the room once the wedding has finished, £155 is a lot to ask.

I get this all the time with peoples weddings/birthdays etc, that people think its ok to ask you to pay huge amounts of money if you have time to save. Well yeah I have time to save up, but its maybe not something that I would want to spend my savings on.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a very good way to word it!

• T
    Beginner August 2025 Devon
    Thomas ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I appreciate this post was some time ago but my fiance and I are in the same position and I wondered how you get on with your wedding and guest rooms and also how did you go about charging and collecting the money?

• C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey I saw this was old too we are getting married in Bath in summer, saw on the reception stationery examples folks normally give a few place to stay options. Average price of a hotel room for 1 night in Bath is £200 and that's looking 3 months ahead. So nobody is going to give us a discount as they don't need to; it's right in the middle of graduation week as well. One of my cousins is camping with his son! There are some glamping places around too that probably won't be that cheap. Personally its way too much for us to reserve any rooms, and if I got a wedding invite with a few options I'd always go and check out other options, self catering apts, etc, so we are just going to mention that Bath gets v busy so please reserve early, it's cheaper not very far out in the countryside, so I don't think there's any obligation to provide or offer rooms. If we could we would though x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics