Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2011

Cost of the average honeymoon??

Pollyjean35, 21 October, 2010 at 18:27 Posted on Planning 0 45

We have just started looking into a 2 week honeymoon and I just wondered what is the average people are spending?

Also how long is everyone going for, 10 days? 2 weeks etc?

We cant decide what to do and if im honest have been surprised at some of the prices we have been quoted!! We are however starting to get lured in by all the gorgeous resorts and are thinking we should spend as much as we can afford instead of cutting corners! ?

45 replies

Latest activity by mrs a to be, 2 November, 2010 at 17:58
  • miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

Smiley atonished i don't know, we're not having a honeymoon Smiley smile xxx

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

We are going to Mauritius for 2 weeks and its costing £3500 for all inclusive, sea-view private bungalow in a 3* Plus hotel.

Thats economy class, but includes the airport lounges.

Its so hard to chose as there are so many options.*Try* and narrow it down as best you can e.g. temperature (depends on time of year), budget, what star hotel you want, whether you want to be able to do stuff whilst there etc etc. Then go with your list to a travel agent and they'll be able to suggest somewhere perfect for you!

For us we wanted to go to Mauritius so we just worked out the best option for our budget. We couldnt afford even a standard room in a 4 or 5* so opted for the best room in the 3* Plus which came right on budget! (after some haggling!)

Good luck!

xxx

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Can't help with the price or where to go as my parents are paying and so it is a surprise (my OH knows but he wont tell me) as for how long I am a teacher and so we are getting married during half term and then going on our honeymoon for a week during the easter holidays, if we went for any longer i would probably have to do planning and my OH has refused point blank to let that happen (which i can understand).

Have you told them that it is a honeymoon? If so why not try a different travel agent and say you want a holiday and see if it comes out cheaper, there are loads of amazing places to go that arent expensive, so really is personal preference. Happy hunting though always nice flicking through all the lovely pictures of where you could go.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

Im actually finding it quite stressful, I feel guilty about spending too much money and hate making big decisions!!

We are considering Thailand and have been quoted just over 3k for 3 nights in Bangkok 4 star and then 10 nights B&B in 5 star! Im torn between just going for it or considering a 3 star to bring the cost down! We will have to pay for meals etc when we are there so it could end up being about 4k all in. We have the money in our budget but I cant help feeling its a big expense!

MrsB 3.5k for all inclusive in the Maldives is AMAZING!!! Well done!

• Kitty1987
    Beginner December 2010
    Kitty1987 ·
    • Hide content

Well we aren't booking until after wedding as we have asked for thomas cook vouchers. So we will see how generous people have been and see what we can book for April. All we know is we want to go to turkey to go diving, only going away for a week because we will miss our little boy too much if we go longer

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

I think we are going to go to Turkey for our honeymoon as we get married in July - its 4+ all inclusive adults only coming in at £1800 for a week

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Our honeymoon is costing £4280. Thats 2 weeks in Mexico, all inclusive, 5 star number 1 rated tripadvisor hotel, upgraded room to a swim up suite and extra leg room on the flight both ways.

We decided to splash out although thats costing less than some of other destinations i looked into!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Look on Expedia for deals. We weren't planning on having a honeymoon but we had a quick nosey and realised we could get a week in Italy for about £300 each hotel (inc breakfast) and flights, so just need to come up with cash for food and general spending. We're not fussy about having luxury rooms or having to travel with SleazyJet though!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Interesting observation... lots of the 'honeymoon packages' I've seen offer lots of extras that you may well not want - champange on arrival, flowers in the room, meals, tours etc - so I'd much rather have a basic holiday package and add on what I want, rather than lots of things they think I'd like to pay for.

I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy the personal led scuba tour of the reefs - but as I swim like a brick it wouldn't be much use to me.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We're having two. One for 1 week straight after the wedding. UK based, I think, but H2B is organising. Our 'proper' one is a few months later for 6 weeks (travelling around the Cook Islands, Tahiti, Bora Bora etc then on to NZ), cost will be £10k plus.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

CB - that sounds fantastic - I have honeymoon envy!

I think we're going to go to the Caribbean in December (get married in September) as the weather's better. We like to go out and explore and we're not a fan of huge hotels so planning on booking room only or possibly B&B. It's looking at about £2k for 2 weeks in 3* St Lucia x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, Kooks, can't wait! It'll be the culmination of a lot of hard work by us both to get there!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are pretty much exactly the same - same country, same type of resort, same extras but a couple of hundred of pounds more. Smiley sad

• Y
    Beginner
    yorkiebride ·
    • Hide content

We are just starting to look at honeymoons. From what I've seen so far the so-called honeymoon packages are often more expensive than if you booked effectively the same holiday yourself. Some of them we have looked at have lots of extras which we don't really want.

We have relatives in NZ and are thinking about combining a 3-4 week honeymoon in Aus, NZ and some of the islands with a visit to see them.

Cricket Bride - your plans sound wonderful!!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

We're staying in a hotel in Barbados for 7 nights, we've got the second best room (we're getting an upgrade to the top accommodation for free as it's our honeymoon) and are staying all inclusive. We're flying Virgin and have upgraded to premium ecconomy both ways and we've paid to hang out in the private lounge at both airports. Altogether we're paying £4098.

We worked out how much it was online without ticking the honeymoon option and then went to see someone at the travel agents and mentioned it was our honeymoon. They worked out a price and the only difference was the cost of the online reduction which they deducted for us so they matched the online price.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

as it was both our 2nd marriage.. the more important bit was the honeymoon. We both knew we wanted to go to the Maldives and the best time is Nov - April and we decided beginning of February - so we kinda booked the honeymoon before the wedding.. Fortnight 5* luxury premium upgraded flights, lounges etc for £7.5k.

Then we worked out how much left we could then budget on the wedding, and thats how we did it.

106 days to the wedding 107 days to the honeymoon...

CB - yours sounds like true lush..! proper envy.. we are waiting for my 12 year old to leave home so that we can do something like that.. maybe next year.. hehehe doubt it - probably 5+ years away

• P
    Beginner July 2011
    purplelady ·
    • Hide content

We got 2 weeks in Mexico, all inclusive 5star, hotel is a resort in itself if that makes sense, own beach, 10 bars, 8 restaurants, spa complex...gettin really great reviews on trip advisor...for £2500 (£1250 each). Our flights to london are £200 & we still need overnight stay in london for a night but should get that for about £50. Were goin July 2011. I think we did pretty well! It was recommended to us by a couple who honeymooned there in July this year so weve no doubts!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £3585 for 2 weeks AI in the Maldives in a beach villa in October, with sea plane transfers.

Although the advertised best time is November to April when we actually looked in to it October, November and December are all pretty much the same weather wise it is not until you get to January, February and March that it is much different, and that time of year was not only out of our budget but also too long after the wedding for us (getting married in June).

We did get about 10% off the price though through haggling, we should have paid nearly £4,000 so do make sure that you ask for discounts in the travel agents, if you dont ask you dont get !

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beck, where in Barbados are you going? We're going to Barbados for 7 nights as well to the Waves Hotel, we upgraded to the Ocean View Duplex Suite and upgraded our flights, then we are doing a 7 night cruise around the other islands. I can't wait! Its cost £6k, the hotel is all inclusive and the cruise is full board, we just have to pay for alcohol.

Cricket Bride... I have serious honeymoon envy, sounds like 6 weeks of paradise!!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're staying at Crystal Cove in St. James. I saw the Waves Hotel just up the road - it looks really nice.

I can't wait for my honeymoon - alcohol, sun, sea, sand and...........................................................................my kindle!

• N
    Beginner June 2011
    nixy ·
    • Hide content

We are having a 2 part honeymoon. 1 week in The Algarve directly after the Wedding for a week in June,then a week in The Maldives in November as it's a better time of the year to go. Total cost will be about £5k. As we are paying for the Wedding ourselves we have cut back on luxuries for the day and put more towards the honeymoons.

• SarB
    Beginner August 2011
    SarB ·
    • Hide content

We are going to Mexico to a 5 star hotel for 2 weeks all inclusive, having the excellence club (rooftop hydropool and terrace suite for £5200.

It completely depends on peoples budget and what kind of holiday your in to!! I wanted to go to maldives for 2 weeks but to get the smae in the Maldives as we have in mexico it was 7k plus and we didnt have that much to spend! We are also asking for people to contribute to our honeymoon as wedding gifts so that will be our spending money for excursions etc or will help us recoupe some of the cost. We have also said that if people dont want to contribute to the honeymoon as not everybody may want to then we are going to ask them to make a donation to mcmillan cancer as my OH lost his mum 3 years ago to cancer and its a little thing for people to remember her as she wont be there to share our special day unfortunately

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

We had a budget of £3k for our honeymoon so went to the travel agent and spoke to a world holiday advisor. Got 10 days 4* in luxury room in Mauritius for the money. We are going half board as we want to tour the island a bit and not just stay at the resort, so upgraded our room to a sea view penthouse in a beach cottage as a treat to ourselves. Can't wait.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    Angelgirlie ·
    • Hide content

We are spending 1800 and have 2 weeks and a day in Italy staying in 4+ hotels with breakfast. we booked it all ourselves includes all flights and trains. We are going to Rome, Florence, Venice, Lake Garda and Paris for 2 nights on the way back.

We found doing it all ourselves saved us loads of money. For us we didnt want to spend more than 2k on the honeymoon (without spending money) and I have always preferred organising hols myself even when I went to usa and canada I sorted it all myself and saved a small fortune.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

We are going to Runaway Bay in Jamaica and staying in a Private Beach Bungalow. It's cost us just over £2000 for a week, all inclusive.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Pretty sure we won't be able to afford a honeymoon particularly looking at some of these quotes Smiley smile

We'll be happy with a day or so at the hotel, followed by a week in the family holiday caravan at Selsey - it's right near the beach, and when the weather is just right you can even hear the sea on the roof...

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Agree totally - but couldn't that be done with a couple of weeks at Centreparcs or something in the UK just as easily?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes but for some people, a honeymoon is still a once in a lifetime holiday and they want to go somewhere they possibly couldn't go to again.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Accepted - but for many people it's not actually a choice really, it's more a case of "a decent wedding with friends and family around us and no honeymoon" or "a registry office with two witnesses, then an expensive honeymoon".

If people can afford both to make their day - and the 2 weeks or so afterwards - their dream, then that's wonderful for them. Just isn't really an option for us.

I guess I'd just rather do without a big honeymoon (and my b2b agrees) than spending the next 6 months after the wedding making a pot noodle last for 3 meals.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

But AJ aren't you spending 10k on your wedding? That's hardly what I'd call just "a decent wedding", I've known people get married for a lot less and still have a honeymoon abroad. It's about priorities I guess, and what you'd rather spend money on. Different strokes and all that!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Not necessarily "spending" - once the invites come back we'll know how much the hotel (which is our biggest expense - food and drink) is going to cost, and everything else is paid for, we'll know what we have left over (plus around another 2k we can still have saved if we keep doing so at the rate we have been) and it may well be that we can have some sort of honeymoon somewhere, perhaps even overseas (not sure the Isle of Sheppey counts).

We've had several good looks at our costings and trying to decide exactly what is and isn't essential, and where we can upgrade/downgrade things to fit - and we don't think we are being unnecessarily extravagant (but that was all covered in the wedding budget thread and don't think I need to go into it again)

If, at the end of the day, we have enough money for a honeymoon somewhere, then there is of course a good chance we may well decide to jet off to sunny climes for a week or two - but it won't ruin our "whole wedding experience" if we end up having a week to ourselves at the family holiday caravan instead. But it's not the most important part of 'getting married' to us.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I didn't ask you to. And I didn't say it would ruin your wedding experience if you didn't go abroad, of course loads of people have a fab time on a UK honeymoon or mini moon. But for some people it's not enough, so they'd rather have a massive honeymoon than a big wedding. Or try to find a way to do both. Which is not always possible, I understand.

You asked someone if spending time together after the wedding could be easily done in the UK, which of course it could. I said for some people it's not what they want to do, they want to go somewhere further afield.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics